[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Vortech V-5 SC 3MZ Gen 2 ??
For the one guy with it, and the few guys planning it...

Vortech V-5 SC 3MZ Gen 2 ??

Postby gnegroni » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:06 pm

Sebas007 wrote:Image

Just noticing...Are those stock headers with cover removed? Don't they look nice with the O2 bungs and all?
'05 Lunar Mist SE: 2AZ-FE, E351 and all their combined glory!
gnegroni
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Sebas007 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:22 pm

If you look closely...you'll see it is an Mitsubishi MIVEC engine...but yeah without the cover headers looks like that. I just use those pictures to help you figure it out what kind of setup I'm aiming for. ;)
Sebas007
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Sebas007 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:52 pm

Sebas007 wrote:Mail to RIPP modifications

Title : Custom SDS Vortech S/C‏

Hi guys,

I'm planning to make some "crazy" upgrade on my car. I want to boost my 2006 Toyota Solara SE V6 up with a centrifugal S/C with around 8-10 PSIg. It is a non really common project. I've heard you are the right person for it. To acheive this I'll need to upgrade some important parts. For the tranny I found a great tranny shop in NJ to upgrade my U151E auto tranny. My question for you will oriented towards engine and exhaust. Why I found you ? I was trying to find a way to get more power, TRD never made S/C (based on Eaton M60 or M90) for 2004+ Solara V6, turbo setup can be complicated and ask for more maintenance. When I saw TRD S/C for the Scion Tc using an centrifugal Vortech S/C with a shaft...I told myself that was the perfect setup I'll aim for. And then with some few search on google I found your website and some youtube video. I was impressed with the Mivec 3.8L Eclipse performance.

Now, let's talk of my case. Like I've said I have a 2006 Toyota Solare SE V6 with the 3MZ-FE engine and the U151E auto tranny.
The 3MZ-FE Toyota engine is a 3.3L 24 valves engine. It has a compression ratio of 10.8. This compression ratio is one of my concern. On N/A application is correct but with the extra PSIg I think it will go wrong. The Mitsubishi 3.8L MIVEC engine has a 10.5 compression ratio.
So, it will be my first question, I want to achieve around 275-300 whp, if I dynoed my car stock at 185 whp, how many PSIg we will need to setup this up ?? Do I will need to install forged internals with low compression piston ??

Now, the exhaust system. I know that JP Performance in CA, did a custom exhaust system (headers to hi-flow cat for the 3MZ Solara) I would like to go this route but I want to know what you think about it. I don't think you would like to do such a big work in design and machining for 1 or very few sells, isn't it ??

Before verifying all the rest, I think the first question should be if I will get enough space under the hood for it. I would say yes for myself. I already relocated the battery in the trunk and it gives me really similar space like the Mitsubishi 3.8L have. The only concern I have is with the radiator hose on the passenger side but there should be a way to make it even so. I'll include some pics of my "under the hood".

look at the bottom left of the picture, it is the radiator hose I'm talking about. I will send you other pics as you wish.
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u160 ... CT1228.jpg

Now how it looks like nowasays.
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u160 ... CT1234.jpg

I'll wait for your general answer !

Thanks

Sébastien

I called them directly...I told them I wrote an e-mail about a custom SDS S/C application on a Toyota Camry Solara. He answered me he don'T do custom stuff. I answered him back that it is written on RIPP mods website. Then he said it is only Mitsubishi custom...BS but anyway he is the guy that decide.

So I wrote Vortech S/C directly to know more on my other possibilities.

Hi,
I really like your product !! I own a 2006 Toyota Solara V6. I seek over internet and I found RIPP mods use your centrifugal S/C in their kit. I just called RIPP mods and they tell me they don't do custom application anymore aisde Mitsubishi cars. I want to know if Vortech knows if there is an other aftermarket company using your S/C with the same kind of shaft driven S/C ?? Do Vortech makes some kit with a shaft driven SC ?? There is a picture to make understand myself a bit more
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l132/ ... blower.jpg

I'm serious in my process and I already found a serious tranny shop to make it right !

Thanks !

Sebastien

Hope to have some news
Sebas007
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Sebas007 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:59 pm

Sebas007 wrote:Here's the email I send them...I'll receive answer next week. Hope it is possible to understand what I'm trying to say...

Title : Toyota U151E upgrade‏

Hi John and IPT crew,

I'm planning to make some "crazy" upgrade on my car. I want to boost my 2006 Toyota Solara SE V6 up with a centrifugal S/C with around 8-10 PSIg. I want to make it slowly but wisely and upgrade all the components who will take the extra power stress. I made some google search about how I could upgrade my U151E (really slushy tranny) to make it possible. I'm pretty concern about the slipping time between shift and also about how much power stress a factory U151E tranny can take. Since, it is not a popular platform for serious tuner, I'm stuck with my question until I fall right on your website. Here are my questions.

Based of your Toyota auto tranny page

http://www.importperformancetrans.com/toyotaauto.shtml

- The 3375$ kit does it include an extra whole new highly upgrade U151E tranny ?? My first thought was I had to bring my car and/or sotck U151E tranny to your facilities and you were about to tottaly upgrade it, is that it ?? Or it is like buying a whole new tranny ??

What are the day to day befenits of buying this over just a VB upgrade + tranny cooler ?

What kind of power & boost, if I can ask that way, this upgrade will let me safely go to ?

Do the stock ECU will see something wrong with it, oil pressure and anything else that can bring CELs ??

- Under the big kit I can read you have solution if we seek for a shift kit. (last item in the Valve Bodies category)

Do this upgrade will let me having more safe whp ? (less slippage = colder tranny = more safe whp ?)

If I go this route, what size of tranny cooler you suggest me, in the Other category, to go with ? Does it make a huge difference on the size ?

What you recommand me to go with this VB+TC combo ? What a custom torque converter will give me (main purpose of it) ?

Again, do the stock ECU will see something wrong with it, oil pressure and anything else that can bring CELs ??

That are my questions for now. Again, I'm serious in my project mostly because it is a rare setup to start with. But if you offer something to help it, is that my whole idea make sense, isn't it ? ;)

I will be happy to make you part of my project.

Sébastien

I find out that it is the same shop as Tony the tiger went !! They seems to some a real good job !!

http://www.importperformancetrans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=677

I was confident about them but now I have no doubts about it !!

I need to wait if there is a way I can find a place to make the driving shaft for the Vortech centrifugal S/C. This is the main thing to start my project.
Sebas007
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby gnegroni » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:00 pm

Sebas007 wrote:If you look closely...you'll see it is an Mitsubishi MIVEC engine...but yeah without the cover headers looks like that. I just use those pictures to help you figure it out what kind of setup I'm aiming for. ;)

Yeah, I noticed it is a MIVEC engine, just that they seem to have 1/2 header manifold, instead of our crappo-catalytic-manifold!

Can't wait to hear about Vortechs response. BTW, is THAT Supercharger bigger than the Scion tCs?
gnegroni
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Sebas007 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:53 pm

gnegroni wrote:Can't wait to hear about Vortechs response. BTW, is THAT Supercharger bigger than the Scion tCs?

I don't think so...the one I'm aiming for is the V-5 VSQ...I think the Scion Tc use the same. Not sure tho
Sebas007
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby gnegroni » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:27 pm

Your car has different breathing requirements than the 2AZ. Same model should suffice? How would one match up a Supercharger or Turbo to a particular engine as far as capacity goes.
gnegroni
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Sebas007 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:43 pm

The spec says to 1.6L to 4.0L pulley size and AFR tuning are the difference.

Man I really dislike RIPP answer...what a crap !!!!! I need to talk to the owner !
Sebas007
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Sebas007 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:44 am

What is the setup you would choose for a daily driver with a +100 WHP to +150 WHP ?
A) Complete U151E tranny rebuilt
B) VB upgrade + custom torque converter + tranny cooler

What are the main technical difference between the A and B of the last question ?

Second IPT answer to my summarize question

Sebastien,
As long as your transmission is in good working order you would be fine with the Valve Body,Torque Converter,and Tranny Cooler.

If you plan on making more power or your trans is not in good condition then you would need the Complete Trans Build.

The Complete Trans Build addresses all the weakness of the trans,and can take the most power/torque.

Complete tranny build = around 3500$
VB + Torque Converter + Tranny Cooler = around 1800$

Don't forget they are the same guys that work on Tony the Tiger auto tranny...he pushes at least 400 WHP and maybe more by now

Serious people for serious performance !
http://www.importperformancetrans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=677
Sebas007
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Sebas007 » Mon May 05, 2008 10:47 am

RIPP mods are not interested anymore by anything than Mitsubishi. I wrote Vortech but no support there !!! I think I'll give up this crazy project and invest my money somewhere else...something wise like house and/or stocks.

I was really serious about the whole thing I estimated it somewhere near 8000$ but hitting the no aftermarket help for the main thing...the shaft driving the S/C...I can rebuilt the tranny and even some part of the engine but without the S/C there would be no reason !

I'm now riding on the 17" stockies and I think I'll keep doing so for a long time. I'm not rich enough to afford everything at the same time and approaching 30 years old make me think I should postponed my air induction project for an other application in some many years.
Sebas007
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby gnegroni » Mon May 05, 2008 11:13 am

Sebas007 wrote:I think I'll give up this crazy project and invest my money somewhere else...something wise like house and/or stocks.

Investing in a house is never a bad thing!

Sebas007 wrote:I'm now riding on the 17" stockies and I think I'll keep doing so for a long time. I'm not rich enough to afford everything at the same time and approaching 30 years old make me think I should postponed my air induction project for an other application in some many years.

Well sebas, being the pioneer for this particular Gen2 project (3MZ with 1MZ heads is another league) you probably imagines there was a guaranteed very big obstacle to overcome on aftermarket support. At least you started already stating your intentions to some shops which could probably work with it, maybe not so soon but its a start... don't let your awesome idea escape your mind... all in due time.
gnegroni
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby K-ESD » Tue May 26, 2009 7:05 pm

Sebas, remember me?
The dude with the 3MZFE 6th gen Celica

This sounds might interesting, I've thought about FI for a while. I don't have to upgrade my tranny, I have the E-153 :P

What did you find out about tuning the engine? All my efforts points to standalone.
K-ESD
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Sebas007 » Wed May 27, 2009 4:45 am

I'm out of any new experience with the Solara platform. However, I enjoy my car but nothing new on this.

I have a better plan. In some 2-3 years sell the Solara get a 4-door daily driver and then buy a lightly used RWD manual car that have a great aftermarket support.
Sebas007
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby yaddadaimsayin » Wed May 27, 2009 10:27 am

too bad though Sebas. It was a good read and I got progressively more excited as I read through the posts. Sad ending!
l CP-e Intake l TRD Lowered/Exhaust/RSB l 20/5 Tints l Custom Grille l Alpine HU l Rocksford Amp l 2 10" JBL Subs l 6000k HID l Smoked 2.5 Tails l Satisfied Driver l
yaddadaimsayin
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby ADAMnQuickSOLARA » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:12 am

Not to discourage anyone but I wouldn't put too much effort into this. Not only do I highly doubt you'll be able to convince Vortech or any shop to start producing a kit for the Solara which has zero aftermarket support (for a reason) but you're probably not going to be happy with the result. Sure, you may be able to get a shop to do a one-off but even then you had better be VERY confident in their fabrication skills.

Speaking from experience here, I had an 00' Maxima 5-spd about 10 yrs ago (similar in size and power to the Solara - 222hp 3.0L V6 - but with A.L.O.T. of aftermarket support, relatively speaking). I initially went for the Stillen (Vortech) SC kit and was not impressed, then moved to a NOS kit which I like much more for quite a few reasons. With the Vortech kit:

(A) The power was, "just ok", very laggy (ex: 1psi boost @ 3k rpm, 2psi @ 4k, 4psi @5k, 5-6psi finally by redline) as opposed to the "instant" boost from a roots type SC that I was used to. My 1/4 mi dropped from 14.8 stock to a 14 flat with the SC which, while not terrible, was not to impressive for the $6k price tag.

(B) The kit was flawed. The bracket positioned the SC pulley slightly out of line and resulted in belts slipping and breaking waaaay too often (every 500 to 1k miles). This resulted in a 4 hour job to change the belt every time (the whole SC unit had to be uninstalled) ....fun! So again, I say, if you're going to do this you've gotta have alot of faith in the shop because Stillen was a VERY highly regarded tuner back then and even they couldnt get it right with their extensive R&D.

I suggest sticking NA or going N2O / Turbo rather than SC.
07' red 'vert SLE
Eibach / KYB / 20 x8.5" +35 / 245/35-20 / CAI

http://gen2performance.blogspot.com

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3827989/1
ADAMnQuickSOLARA
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Previous

Return to Gen 2 Forced Induction