[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Possible Rebuild and Turbo
For the one guy with it, and the few guys planning it...

Possible Rebuild and Turbo

Possible Rebuild and Turbo

Postby modaman369 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:48 am

Hello everyone. First off, I would like to thank everyone on this site for all their help and info. I had started a discussion about turbo charging my 04 2az-fe solara a while back which resulted in the abandonment of that idea. I am kind of "stuck" with the car so I am considering a whole new angle towards this car.

A) I love this car. It makes an awesome daily driver and it coasts on the highway very nicely. I bought the car brand new in 04 and I've had no maintenance issues with it whatsoever, no matter how much I beat on it. My cousin got an 08 lancer gts last year and the a/c already blew on him -_-. Yea.... toyota.....check.....reliability......check. (I can't say the same for the 2010 - 2011 models since they keep you moving forward.)

B)My car now has 103K miles on it. It comes down to 2 options for me:

I) I get the expensive 100K maintenance done through toyota and get myself a 2001 A4 1.8t quattro to mod and build (since they are pretty cheap now)

or

II) I rebuild the 2az-fe with eagle rods and pistons. Change it over to low compression with a complete turbo set up, goal is around 20-25psi. Do the manual swap since I have a very outdated 4 speed AUTO...I dread to say that word.... and I do the complete suspension also. That would include the rsb, Tein springs, kyb struts, and the stoptech brake kit. Also, I believe there is a LSD available for our cars also... someone please correct me if I am mistaken. Lastly, I have a nice set of 19x8 aerospeed rims to slap on for now.

I have a second daily driver so I don't mind putting the solara away for some time to work on it, even if it takes a whole year. Budget wise, I'm not too worried since I will be doing most of the work myself. It should be a lot easier to do the manual swap and the LSD install, if possible, since the engine bay will be gutted.

I am pretty serious about considering one of the options. I just finished a rebuild on my friend's car, 99 eclipse, with forged internals and 15 psi turbo set up. His car came out pretty good so I am contemplating if its worth it rebuilding my car. I have some pictures below:

The final setup after a lot of red bulls, curses and band aids. The filter was on the intercooler for starting and idling purposes only. Expected power is 400hp.

Currently, I am finishing up a 300zx TT swap for another friend. Summer is around the corner and I would finally like to build something nice for myself. Audi A4 would be the logical choice but the solara would be very original imo. I would like your feedback and any additional comments.
modaman369
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Possible Rebuild and Turbo

Postby mig0s » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:57 am

I don't understand choosing an A4. They are definitely not the fastest for their value range and they are not reliable at all and expensive to repair. Plus I think this gen looks really ugly...

If I was you I'd look into other possibilities, with a few thousands more, you could get an IS300 or G35. Both have more potential than the A4 and look better imo. If you really want to go euro, take a 3 series. That's what I would do.

Good luck!
1999 V6 5-Speed... so beautiful :' )
Black housing headlights, corner. 55w 6k HID, 2500k fogs, TWM Short Shifter+weighted knob, Tein+KYB, TRD lip kit + Acura CL type-S front lip. TSW Kyalami 18x8. Cutom 2.5" SS free flow muffler.
mig0s
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby modaman369 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:27 am

I agree but I want a turbo charged car. I would rather stay away from 6 cylinders. My original choice was getting a 06 or higher wrx since they carry the 2.5 boxer turbo. I've heard a lot of good performance stories about the 1.8t engine and since the B5 1.8t are going so cheap nowadays, I figure I'd pick one up.
modaman369
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby DriDed » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:45 pm

I recommend just building your 2az Solara, since you already have another dd, there is no reason not to go all out with it anyways as budget doesn't seem to be a concern to you.

The 2az does really well with boost and the motor can handle up to 400hp on stock internals and there are so many turbokits for it.

I am going on the turbo route with my 2az, but the thing is that its gonna be awhile (at least 2 years) to get the funding that I need. If I had the funding, I would immediately get on it just like you with yours.
2004 Toyota Solara SE (2az-fe) automatic
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
+Pioneer DEH 2200 UB headunit
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Return to Gen 2 Forced Induction