[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Headlamp Glazing
Stock talk about Solara

Headlamp Glazing

Headlamp Glazing

Postby krenshaw » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:28 pm

Got the headlamp anti haze job done, but it started hazing up rather quickly once again, has anyone replaced the headlamp assemblies outright with new ones, and is it hard to do the switch?
krenshaw
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby N-Dawg » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:54 am

I have the same issue. i want to replace them, but don't know if it will be a difficult task and how much will it cost?
N-Dawg
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby SoSleek » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:06 am

I had this happen as well. I bought a kit by 3M headlight lens restoration kit pictured below...

I was very happy with the results. I only used the 3M trizact disc and the 3M polish compound with the buffing pad. Mine were not hazed enough to used the sanding and finishing pads. The product worked very good and it has been about 2 weeks since I used this product and they haven't showed any signs of rehazing yet. I am hoping this was a permanent solution but time will tell. If they rehaze I will be replacing with new housings.

Replacing a headlight just require you to remove the front bumper (held on by just a few screws). Seems intimidating, but it is actually a very easy process.

What kit did you use to restore your lenses?
2004 Black Solara SE Sport - Minneapolis, MN
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Black Bob » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:43 am

I use Meguiar's PlastX about 2-3 times a year. Like most wax/glazes it's temporary but I choose to just reapply. After 5 years I have annoying "road scratches" rather than actual hazing (plastic degradation) so I can't justify blowing $300 per headlight yet. As for tail lights I found I only need one application to last all year even during the harshest weather. My girlfriend's Neon has major hazing on the exterior AND interior part of the lens.....I told her that it means the car is gonna die, maybe explode and she must get rid of it and buy the Lexus IS 250C with the stick shift. :D
Current: 2008 Brick Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Upgrade Pkg# 2
Previous: 2005 Arctic Frost Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Postby NightRider » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:30 pm

Black Bob wrote:I use Meguiar's PlastX about 2-3 times a year. Like most wax/glazes it's temporary but I choose to just reapply. After 5 years I have annoying "road scratches" rather than actual hazing (plastic degradation) so I can't justify blowing $300 per headlight yet. As for tail lights I found I only need one application to last all year even during the harshest weather. My girlfriend's Neon has major hazing on the exterior AND interior part of the lens.....I told her that it means the car is gonna die, maybe explode and she must get rid of it and buy the Lexus IS 250C with the stick shift. :D

I use the same Meguiars plastic X stuff as well and it works great. I reapply every time i wash my car and it doesn't take long to reapply anyway. And I do have the road debris scratches from commuting.
2004 Black Solara V6SLE COUPE
5% rear window tint 20% front window tint
Injen polished SRI
Alpine Deck w/ complete Rocksford Fosgate speakers & subs
TRD FSB 6000K HID's
NightRider
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: Headlamp Glazing

Postby FLUXEMAG » Mon May 17, 2010 3:24 pm

My car had terribly hazed headlights. I was looking for new ones since mine were yellow and just plain bad. I tried the Meguiar's PlastX stuff, with a clean new buffing pad...took some elbow grease but they almost look new. I'm very impressed. Being cheap, I chose not to buy the Meguiar's headlight restoration kit, but instead just buy the PlastX for like $8. I then turned to my wife's car, who's car was worse than mine, well, not as much luck. But hers were entirely opaque before I started, and now at least you can see the light itsself. I'll try again with a new buffer, since I had already just used it on my car it may not have had enough grit. But I expect to reapply to both cars often from now on because my car looks great again :D
1967 Karmann Ghia Coupe, Rusty White
2005 Solara SE Sport V6, Lunar Mist
2010 G37 Coupe, Moonlight White
FLUXEMAG
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Down2TheC » Sun May 30, 2010 1:29 am

Moving to the combined forum. Applies to both gens.
http://solara.down2thec.com/gallery/
"We need failures in this world... failures gives us lap dances and chicken nuggets and I like both."
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby jimmm » Sun May 30, 2010 3:44 am

3M makes excellent and effective products of which I am a fan of their glass cleaner, their double-sided tape, and their citrus-scented adhesive remover in the spray can. As for headlight glazing, Meguiar's Plastix worked for me on the first and only application. I should say, however, that mine were just slightly glazed along the outer edges and required only a hand job and some elbow grease.
2004 SLE V6 3.3 Desert Sand Mica
jimmm
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby yaddadaimsayin » Mon May 31, 2010 11:44 am

mine was pretty hazed but i took it to a detailing center and for $50 they cleared it up for me. very professional and with warranty too. It's been about a year and it hasn't hazed back.
l CP-e Intake l TRD Lowered/Exhaust/RSB l 20/5 Tints l Custom Grille l Alpine HU l Rocksford Amp l 2 10" JBL Subs l 6000k HID l Smoked 2.5 Tails l Satisfied Driver l
yaddadaimsayin
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby 1gSE » Mon May 31, 2010 12:42 pm

I used Plastx, it worked well on my drivers side headlight, but the passenger side needs some help. I might try that 3M kits once I used up this stuff.
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby SoSleek » Mon May 31, 2010 8:07 pm

jimmm wrote:slightly glazed along the outer edges and required only a hand job and some elbow grease.

That's what she said :lol:
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby mazen222 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:00 am

Anyone else tried the 3M kit above? i tried the PlaticX thing with sand paper but the hazing comes back within 2-3 months.

i am wondering if the 3M kit is a more permanent solution
1999, 5 Speed V6
mazen222
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SoSleek » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:18 am

As mentioned, I used it. I only used the trizact pad (which i believe is similar to 3000grit) and the polish and polishing pad. So far so good. That was about 5 or 6 weeks ago. I read several reviews online of people with serious glazing or yellowing and they all loved the product.
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Kenz » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:37 pm

I just waxed my car last weekend and noticed my headlights were getting yellow. I just buffed them with some turtlewax scratch remover i was using on a few spots, then waxed them with the rest of the car. They came out looking great and no more yellow or scratches.
- Mack
Silver `03 i4 5 Speed
Dropped w/ Tein & KYB
OBX Cat Back
Kenz
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby beanslicer » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:29 pm

i found that if you want to restore headlights, atleast to a moderate level, a good solution is to start with a Melamine foam type product such as mr clean magic eraser, that stuff has micropores that work like really fine sandpaper, if your headlights are really bad, use some sandpaper before that, after using the foam use toothpaste on a moist towel, as that is a great microabrasive and on the level that we need, a polish. at this point i find headlights to be at good condition, but i suppose some sort of polish would take it even one step further and make it look just like new...
beanslicer
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Next

Return to Toyota Solara OEM