[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - 04 Solara - Question on SRS light
Stock talk about Solara

04 Solara - Question on SRS light

04 Solara - Question on SRS light

Postby jeamparado » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:22 pm

All,

I was rearended on the off ramp of a highway earlier today at a fairly low speed. It appeared there was minimal damage to the other car and did not notice any damage to the back of my car. We exchanged info anyways, took pictures and I had her write up a statement acknowledging that she had hit me as well as the cars involved, location, date and time. Then also took her license plate, DL # and phone number in case something came up later.

On my drive home I noticed the SRS warning light (I believe this is the airbag) and another light that said Passenger Airbag 'OFF" were on. My airbags did not deploy but these lights were not on before. Could getting rearended have caused this? Is there a way I can handle this without having to take it in? I'd prefer to have no costs just in case the lady tries to fight me on paying though I feel she will and should if I requested. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide!

Jo-Elaine
jeamparado
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: 04 Solara - Question on SRS light

Postby crispone » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:09 pm

jeamparado wrote:All,

I was rearended on the off ramp of a highway earlier today at a fairly low speed. It appeared there was minimal damage to the other car and did not notice any damage to the back of my car. We exchanged info anyways, took pictures and I had her write up a statement acknowledging that she had hit me as well as the cars involved, location, date and time. Then also took her license plate, DL # and phone number in case something came up later.

On my drive home I noticed the SRS warning light (I believe this is the airbag) and another light that said Passenger Airbag 'OFF" were on. My airbags did not deploy but these lights were not on before. Could getting rearended have caused this? Is there a way I can handle this without having to take it in? I'd prefer to have no costs just in case the lady tries to fight me on paying though I feel she will and should if I requested. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide!

Jo-Elaine

SRS systems are very complex and involve much more than JUST the airbag(s). Pyrotechnic devices reside in the seat belt retractors as well as various airbags in a vehicle, and numerous accelerometers serve as "trigger" for the control module to actuate the system. You may JUST have a sensor that is now "tripped" in one of these, or something more substantial. The entire system often will not operate correctly or in a compromised manner without proper attention. In some cases, an SRS warning light is simply related to the single feature that is no longer operative, and other features will still function as designed. The gamble isn't worth it. You WANT your safety features to be properly functioning. USUALLY, there is NO WAY that a consumer or other garage can reset these system warning features, and the dealer MUST be alerted, diagnose and correct the feature.

I would recommend taking it to the dealer. In the event COST ends up coming into question, and YOU don't have a way to pay it, or don't WANT to pay it, and/or the person who hit you/insurance won't cover it or resists, you can throw some weight around and state that you WILL file with NHTSA and lay claim against the dealer, insurance company and Toyota if they don't make it "right". Many dealers will correct such issues as "GOOD WILL" repairs. For such safety features, they MUST log the repair in a master database that goes to the automotive manufacturers central warranty processing group, and is compensated to the dealership.

My vote is for you to go to a dealership and request the device/alarm is addressed. Discuss the insurance claim with them at that time, and discuss it with your agent as well. Keep us posted on what is going on, and maybe we can give further input as you proceed.

Good luck!

-crisp :evilbat:
crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Re: 04 Solara - Question on SRS light

Postby Black Bob » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:59 am

The passenger SRS indicator (center console) should only say "OFF" if there is no passenger in the seat, however, if there is an ADULT passenger in the seat and they're strapped in it should say "ON". So, if you're the only one in your car strapped in the passenger light should have ALWAYS been lit "OFF" before the accident, I'm gonna assume you just didn't notice it before. But, nonetheless, the SRS indicator on your dash is now lit indicating a definite problem. Like Crisp said, let the dealer handle this and don't worry, dealers AND insurance companies are obligated to fix this for liability reasons (i.e. you could sue their butts if they don't). Keep in mind that the SRS is not just the airbag, it's the side-bags, the air-curtain (not equipped on '04s), the seats themselves and the seat belt tensioner--that's alotta sensors. If even one of these malfuntions the dash SRS warning light will pop on.

As for cost, don't even sweat it, you got rearended let the other guy's insurance company worry about the bill. However, if the car gets fixed and the SRS light is STILL on make sure you tell YOUR insurance company if the other guy's insurance refuses to repair it.
Current: 2008 Brick Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Upgrade Pkg# 2
Previous: 2005 Arctic Frost Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Return to Toyota Solara OEM