[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Check Engine Light and Brake Booster Hissing?
Stock talk about Solara

Check Engine Light and Brake Booster Hissing?

Check Engine Light and Brake Booster Hissing?

Postby Gooseguy84 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:05 pm

Hi all, have a 1999 Solara with approx 130K miles. The check engine light came on the other day, (misfire in cylinder 1) and reset. Came back on after approx 60 miles of highway driving. Was told to look for vacuum line leaks (not sure exactly which ones). Also there appears to be a slight hissing from the brake booster area. The hissing seems to subside when the brake pedal is pressed down. Having googled and read a few topics might be the brake booster vacuum line? How do you even check it? Would these 2 things be related? Any ideas?

Thanks very much!!
1999 Two-Tone Solara
Gooseguy84
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Check Engine Light and Brake Booster Hissing?

Postby Gooseguy84 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:42 am

OK, so I need some more research and did a test. Not sure what the results of the test mean though. The hissing is def coming from the brake booster. I took the vacuum hose off of the brake booster and the hissing got louder, coming though the open end of the hose. Put my finger over the end of the vacuum hose and it created a tight seal and the hissing went away. Took finger off, hissing came back. Put it back onto the brake booster and the hissing wasn't as pronounced, but could def be heard. When you press on the brake pedal the hissing also goes away.

Having no real experience, and taking a guess, it seems like the brake booster needs to be replaced b/c of a leak? Any info, suggestions would be great.

Thanks
1999 Two-Tone Solara
Gooseguy84
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Check Engine Light and Brake Booster Hissing?

Postby 99BlackSandv6 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:18 pm

The booster has a rubber diaphragm inside it.
The rubber separates the vacuum side from the atmospheric side.
If the diaphragm is torn the booster needs replaced.
The CEL will come on because of a vacuum leak in the booster.
If your brakes feel normal, I would suspect the booster is not the problem.
Trust me, I'm a technician.
99BlackSandv6
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Return to Toyota Solara OEM