[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - 99 Solara Problems
Stock talk about Solara

99 Solara Problems

99 Solara Problems

Postby thealkimo » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:38 pm

I'm finally selling my 99 Solara, but want to fix a couple nagging issues first.

Problem one is intermittent starting problems. After the car's been sitting for overnight or about 5-8 hours, when I try to start the engine won't turn over. To remedy this, I start it up and keep the car in neutral and put a foot on the gas for a couple minutes or if able I will drive it for about 200-500 feet (making sure RPMs go above 4k). I can then hear the intake start to suck air and the RPMs stabilize between 1-2k and the engine runs like normal. I read that perhaps cleaning the throttle body with seafoam could do the trick? Could it be the starter? Has anyone heard or experienced a similar issue?

Problem two is a coolant leak. I put 50/50 Toyota red coolant into the reservoir and after a couple of hours much of it leaks onto my garage floor. I've checked the hoses and everything seems to have a tight seal and don't see any visible holes in the radiator itself. However, I'm not sure what could be causing the leak other than the radiator, so I'm thinking about replacing it. It appears OEM radiators are about $100-200, but I'm wondering how much the install might cost or if it can be DIY.

Any advice/suggestions are appreciated!
thealkimo
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Re: 99 Solara Problems

Postby KILLA CAM » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:45 pm

Is it cold out where you are when you try to start the car?
KILLA CAM
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby thealkimo » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:45 am

KILLA CAM wrote:Is it cold out where you are when you try to start the car?

The starting issue happens in both cold and warm weather. I sprayed carb cleaner into the TB and ICV opening near the butterfly plate, but that still didn't seem to help.

I'm wondering if I need to do a fuel injector cleaning/replacement, or new fuel filter, or if it could simply be spark plugs?
thealkimo
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby thealkimo » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:10 am

Sold it. Close thread.
thealkimo
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Return to Toyota Solara OEM