[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Thinking about trading my solara for an MR2
Stock talk about Solara

Thinking about trading my solara for an MR2

Re: Thinking about trading my solara for an MR2

Postby wkbrdr91 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:44 pm

Black Bob wrote:Welcome minig! The only 2¢ I have to say is that if you're 6 foot tall or over the Sky and the Solstice probably won't be comfortable for you. I had the unfortunate priviledge of sitting in both at an autoshow and with the seat all the way back my knees were still touching the dash....and I'm only 6 foot. However the downside to an MR2 and an S2000 is that they're rarer than a divorced MILF stripper without kids.

Theres a button thats in a weird spot that almost tilts the seat back just a tad further that makes it roomy enough, I am 6 2 and I fit fine once I hit that button :D
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby minig646 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:07 pm

Status update:

I went to pick up the spyder this morning, and everything was running great. Payed the guy and went home. It was SO different than my solara, by which I mean it was worse in every way.

The ride home was noisy but bearable... but pennsylvania's roads shook the car around a lot. About halfway home, the engine started making horrible noises, and I couldn't get out of the toll booths without stalling at least 5 times (embarrassing)

Bad news: Coolant reservoir cap came off, antifreeze everywhere.

Good news: No one behind me in the toll both got pissed

Bad news: One of the motor mount bolts snapped or fell out, causing one side of the engine to sit 3-4 inches lower than the other. Which also made connecting the air intake and filter back on impossible. There was a ton of evidence of just sloppy workmanship in general.

Good news: I can still drive stick, the stalling turned out to not be my fault.

Bad news: I paid cash

Good news: The guy had a ton of prospective buyers after me who offered him more, so tomorrow he's gonna tow it back and fully refund my money. Some people are spyder guys, but not me. I'm gonna stay a solara guy.

^^^sorry if that sounds a little whiny, its been a long day.
minig646
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby ThurzNite » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:24 pm

damn that sucls. is that a toyota quality problem or some other mechanic?
Dr J
ThurzNite
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby ToyoSolV6 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:51 pm

wow! thats a lot to go through id be pissed
One of the few Built Forged Supercharged solaras in so cal
335whp x 344tq.
ToyoSolV6
Solaraguy's dopest driver

Postby minig646 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:40 pm

So long spyder...

Got my check and AAA took care of the tow back to the original owner's house. A bunch of summer plans ruined but all things considered, I'm lucky the guy was cool and helped me out of trouble. Now I have all this money to spend on my solara... I already have a flowmaster muffler, trd rsb, injen sri, and a nice sound system. I'm thinking new spark plugs and wires- any suggestions on brands? Or anything else to do?
minig646
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby corlon » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:59 pm

NiCe
corlon
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby minig646 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:04 pm

I think I may just stay with a solara. I like how refined, smooth, and comfortable they are. Like this:

minig646
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby ToyoSolV6 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:57 pm

yeah he's mr2oc.com and its listed for 30k high 9's is damn good, but i dont know if anyone will wanna drop 30 g's on a car just like that.
One of the few Built Forged Supercharged solaras in so cal
335whp x 344tq.
ToyoSolV6

Postby Black Bob » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:59 am

^^^I smell 'bot'!^^^

Anyway, from what I'm hearing is that LITERALLY the engine fell out! Thank God the guy gave you your money back, by the way, even if you paid cash you shoulda got a receipt of some type. Also, somewhat of a written guarantee is needed during the transaction that states the engine won't fall out, explode, seize or anything that is not considered normal wear and tear to be considered sellable in good condition. I just got a bad feeling that the motor mount is gonna be some bad re-weld job for some other unsuspecting buyer.
Current: 2008 Brick Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Upgrade Pkg# 2
Previous: 2005 Arctic Frost Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Postby minig646 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:03 pm

Yea, but he wasnt a sleazy salesman or anything He was just a dad selling the car for his son deployed in afghanistan. The bolt was in during the test drive, he just didn't tighten one bolt all the way. It just happened to be one hell of a bolt. I do miss it...
minig646
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Previous

Return to Toyota Solara OEM