[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Shock Tower Brace
Stock talk about Solara

Shock Tower Brace

Shock Tower Brace

Postby mfeisen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:00 pm

There's a factory shock tower brace on my 02 convertible. Would like to reduce chassis flex and was wondering if replacing the stock unit with a TRD or other after market unit is worth while.

I'm amazed at how much the car flexes while driving over minor bumps/dips and other then installing a roll bar, not sure what else can be done. Has anyone attempted to reduce the chassis flex on the first gen. convertibles?
mfeisen
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Shock Tower Brace

Postby DriDed » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:41 am

I upgraded to the TRD strut brace on my Solara and the stock one went to my dad's Camry (did not come with one stock). With only the TRD strut brace installed, the Solara felt a bit (and I mean a bit) more stable on the corners but the major benefit is a better looking engine bay.

Go for the TRD rear sway bar as well as lowering springs/ shocks (or coilovers) in addition to the strut brace, you will definitely feel the difference then.

When you have all the available suspension parts installed, you will be driving a different car.

I plan to install lowering springs and shocks soon, possibly this summer if I get a good amount of money saved up from my job. I already have the TRD strut brace and TRD rear sway bar installed on my Solara.
2004 Toyota Solara SE (2az-fe) automatic
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
+Pioneer DEH 2200 UB headunit
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby DSM_Lara » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:24 pm

The factory tower bar is the same. They made the TRD strut tower to clear the Supercharger...
1999 Toyota Solara SE V6 (TRD Edition) Rare Greddy EvoII/CP-E Intake/Renova Grill/Black Housing Front/OEM Hood Deflector :kp: :spam3: :spam1:Musubi
DSM_Lara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby 99BlackSandv6 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:40 pm

I'm with Dri on this one. It's mostly to look good.
I'm also with DSM, it's mostly to clear the supercharger. :lol:
Trust me, I'm a technician.
99BlackSandv6
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby KILLA CAM » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:48 am

The TRD strut bar will only help cosmetics. If your goal is to reduce chassis flex, then look up the Ultra Racing underbody braces. That's where you should spend your money.
KILLA CAM
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby mfeisen » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:17 am

Thank you all for the input. I now have a Whiteline RSB and that's all I plan to do for the handling part of the equation. One of the measures that the OEMs take when producing a 'vert is to soften the suspension to allow the chassis to flex more to compensate for the lack of rigidity. Lowering the car and adding stiffer springs will enhance handling, but you run the risk of making the overall ride worse on a 'vert.

I've looked at the Ultra Racing bracing, but not sure that it'll work in my case. The company ASC performed the 'vert conversions on the first gen models and they apparently added an X-brace to the rear underside. This X-brace may pose clearance problems when trying to add the Ultra Racing rear bracing.

I was hoping that someone with a first gen 'vert may have done this or something else. A lot of these aftermarket accessories are geared towards the coupes. Perhaps I'll email them. but beings that they're in Malaysia, not sure that my problem can fully be understood. I forget what they call the Solara over there and not even sure if they have 'verts over there.
mfeisen
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby DriDed » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:17 pm

when you install the ultra racing underbody brace, you are supposed to remove the factory x brace before installing the UR brace.
2004 Toyota Solara SE (2az-fe) automatic
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
+Pioneer DEH 2200 UB headunit
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Return to Toyota Solara OEM