[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - 2000 SLE Flex pipe broken
Stock talk about Solara

2000 SLE Flex pipe broken

2000 SLE Flex pipe broken

Postby Saranael » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:02 pm

Hey guys,

I could do a lot of work on my Solara thanks to some amazing tutorials on Solaraguy.
Yesterday my car passed inspection (NYS) and got an oil-change.

But my 2000 SLE V6 has a serious problem: a crack in one of the flex pipes. It's a California model with the Y-pipe. Obviously the mechanic told me to replace the whole catalytic converter for $1,200 but I just walked out.

It smells like gas when running the car because the exhaust is ejected before the catalytic converter. Think Im running rich since fuel economy is crap. No CEL, had that over the summer. It was a busted A/F sensor. Changed that one, tuned up with new iridium spark plugs and wires after I had misfires on 2 cylinders.
There are no problems right now except for the noise (very loud, stupid pipe....), exhaust smell in the car when I switch A/C to take in the air from outside and extremely poor fuel economy (City, 16 MPG).

I've read I could purchase the needed part for the flex pipe and have it welded in, but several local muffler shops (not chain) denied it due to the complicated installment of the y-pipe combined with the 2 catalytic converters.
My next thought would be to buy the catalytic converter + y-pipe online and have someone install it.

Im extremely low on budget for my car since I am a college student (no money from parents for that). What is the best I can do? Can someone refer me to a website where I can buy the needed part for a good price?
Saranael
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: 2000 SLE Flex pipe broken

Postby 99BlackSandv6 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:49 am

Depending on the size and location of the damage on the y-pipe,
it may be repairable without buying any parts. You should try to
find a welding shop that would be able to help you.

You might also be able to find someone on here with used parts.
Maybe someone with headers would be willing to sell their factory
stuff to help you out.
Trust me, I'm a technician.
99BlackSandv6
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Re: 2000 SLE Flex pipe broken

Postby Jabraltar » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:34 am

When I bought my car within about a month the flex pipe started to rot and had a hole in it. Everytime I drove it, it sounded like a crappy lawn mower or something lol Anyways I work at a trailer place in the summer when I'm not in school and one of the mechanics used to be a car mechanic and got me a new flex pipe and cut the old one out and welded the new one on. Took him about 30 minutes to do everything, only charged me $60.00, and I've never had a problem with it since. Not sure if this helps any, but I'm sure you'll be able to find someone able to swap it out.
Gen 1:Custom stainless catback exhaust,Injen SRI..NGK Iridium plugs,2 10'' Kicker subs in Kicker box,Alpine door speakers, Kicker rear deck speakers,Pioneer amp,18'', Pioneer H/U, Icon rims with Falken tires,HID's,LED everything
Jabraltar
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to Toyota Solara OEM