[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Struts and strut mount
Stock talk about Solara

Struts and strut mount

Struts and strut mount

Postby lightguypro » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:54 pm

need some info, hope someone can help me. i have a gen 2 2004 solara, now question i have is i know i need rear struts, but lately been hearing a noise coming from the right rear strut, took it in to toyota cause i couldn't figure it out. charged 50 bucks to look at it..they tell me i need struts and the strut mount is damaged, so looking to buy parts from ebay to replace, Im starting to notice that there is a couple of pieces to the strut mount, a little bushing type thing.

question is, do i need to buy just the strut mount or the bushing thing itself? or do i have to take apart to see exactly whats broken to know. sorry for the long write up just wanted to make sure im clear..

thanks everyone
Da Lightguy
2004 v6 sle
lightguypro
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Struts and strut mount

Postby ToyoSolV6 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:39 pm

The top of the strut has this big rubber piece onto it, that rubber piece after a good amount of time tends to crack or just eventually get weak wich cause the noise your hearing, how many miles does your car have ? because to think you have an 04 and already need struts i dont knw man, then again i dont know how much you drive but yeah if your going to change struts, when you buy them you have to get strut mounts too you dont necesarily have to take anything apart to know whats going on.
One of the few Built Forged Supercharged solaras in so cal
335whp x 344tq.
ToyoSolV6
Solaraguy's dopest driver

Postby Gregtrd » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:02 pm

hit me up if you need some one to replace your struts or mounts.
The Fastest Camry in Socal
366whp / 427wtq @10.5psi
Gregtrd
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby lightguypro » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:18 pm

I have 125k on them. i know that i hit a bumpy road on a curve and the back end swings out bad. struts are kinda worn, no my question is, does the rubber piece come with the strut mount? or separate piece? here is what im looking at

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-SHOC ... 297wt_1086

do i need to buy this as well or just up top will work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOOG-K90 ... _971wt_931
Da Lightguy
2004 v6 sle
lightguypro
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby ToyoSolV6 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:59 pm

strut mount comes with rubber piece first link looks like its the one but dont buy anything cheap trust me! you dont want to have to go back in there to do it again. Its not a simple job
One of the few Built Forged Supercharged solaras in so cal
335whp x 344tq.
ToyoSolV6

Postby Black Bob » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:50 am

Normally I wouldn't take the word of a dealership on needing new rear strut mounts but being that the only way to fully inspect them is too have the rear strut assembly removed (which IS a pain in the ass), you should probably replace it IF you plan on keeping the car longer and want piece of mind. A rear strut assembly (minus strut) in my area is around $100 per (rear struts are around $129). If you have a spring press, repair manual and an impact wrench you could save on labor and still come out financially ahead with new struts AND assembly. Just had my front struts done by a friend and saved $200 on labor alone.

And don't forget to add the cost of alignment which most shops around my way say they charge $50-$75 but then find a convenient way of racking up the cost by pushing camber kits and extra labor which may add over an additional $100. :bleep:
Current: 2008 Brick Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Upgrade Pkg# 2
Previous: 2005 Arctic Frost Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Postby ThurzNite » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:44 am

Can you clarify 'strut assembly sans strut'? Besides the mount, what else is there? I'm getting ready to do mine too.
Dr J
ThurzNite
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Black Bob » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:41 am

Definitions of "assembly" may vary but when I say "assembly" I mean the struts, springs, mounts, bumpers, bearings, rubber seats, etc. (i.e. assembly that remains after removing the 2 bolts from the knuckle and the three bolts in the shock tower). Chances are in the front at around 100,000 miles your springs, bumper, seats, insulators just PROBABLY just need to be inspected but the bearing, boot cover and strut definitely need to be inspected and replaced where needed once off the car. As for the rears, the back shock tower with the three top bolts is a pain in the ass to get to (plus it's better to have a lift rather than a jack) so once you do have the whole strut assembly off you should really, really go over it with a fine tooth comb. Check EVERYTHING and replace any part you get a bad feeling about because once the rear assembly goes back in (trust me) you don't ever want to go back in a year or two later and take everything apart again. No, seriously, the rear struts are THAT much of a pain.
Current: 2008 Brick Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Upgrade Pkg# 2
Previous: 2005 Arctic Frost Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Postby ThurzNite » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:10 am

lightguypro: Which tutorial are you using for this project? Also, I'd be happy to help out, as I'd like to see this done in person. I'll keep in mind you're 2nd gen and mine's 1st. Lemme know if you are missing any tools and want me to bring mine. I have a spring compressor if necessary.
Dr J
ThurzNite
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to Toyota Solara OEM