[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Door hinge clicking
Stock talk about Solara

Door hinge clicking

Door hinge clicking

Postby wkbrdr91 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:09 pm

My passenger door has been making a very loud clicking sound every time it hits one of the spots that it holds the door open at. It has only gotten worse, people freak out when they hear it.

I asked my dad about it (bought the car from him) and he said that it did it once back when it was in warranty and the dealership said it wasn't hurting the car, just an annoying thing, and they fixed it.

Does anyone know what it is and how to fix it?

I can upload a video of the problem if necessary.
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: Door hinge clicking

Postby ThurzNite » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:57 pm

I've got a 99, and had clicking. Turns out the little black plastic looking thing between top and bottom door hinges was loose. Took at 10mm socket to it, tightened it up, and it stopped clicking. Not sure if that's your issue though.
Dr J
ThurzNite
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby wkbrdr91 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:39 pm

Figured it out... thanks... your advice helped me :)

These bolts were both loose (if anyone has this issue, make sure to check this in multiple door positions as when it shifts around (thats what caused the clicking) it switches sides.

2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby ThurzNite » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:18 pm

On mine, it looks like someone had put some kinda white grease on there previously. I don't have the FSM for Body, so I dunno if the're supposed to be lubed or not. Yours looks pretty dry, so I guess not? Anybody got any info?
Dr J
ThurzNite
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Black Bob » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:24 am

Unfortunately, our aging Gen 2's are starting to trend to where things are gonna start making all types of noises. So far, most of my noises have been remedied by just tightening bolts and screws also. For the amount of potholes and railroad tracks I've gone over (not to mention fender benders) for the past 6 years, it's amazing to me that I don't have more squeaking and creaking sounds from the 'Lara.
Current: 2008 Brick Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Upgrade Pkg# 2
Previous: 2005 Arctic Frost Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Postby wkbrdr91 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:07 am

Black Bob wrote:Unfortunately, our aging Gen 2's are starting to trend to where things are gonna start making all types of noises. So far, most of my noises have been remedied by just tightening bolts and screws also. For the amount of potholes and railroad tracks I've gone over (not to mention fender benders) for the past 6 years, it's amazing to me that I don't have more squeaking and creaking sounds from the 'Lara.

Which bolts and screws specifically do you tighten? I have 2 12's so whatever you've had to do... I prob have to also haha
2006 Solara Sport
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby ThurzNite » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:05 am

The 2 nuts the flashlight is illuminating.
Dr J
ThurzNite
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby ThurzNite » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:06 am

Thinking of putting a drop of loctite on there too.
Dr J
ThurzNite
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Black Bob » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:31 am

wkbrdr91 wrote:
Black Bob wrote:Unfortunately, our aging Gen 2's are starting to trend to where things are gonna start making all types of noises. So far, most of my noises have been remedied by just tightening bolts and screws also. For the amount of potholes and railroad tracks I've gone over (not to mention fender benders) for the past 6 years, it's amazing to me that I don't have more squeaking and creaking sounds from the 'Lara.

Which bolts and screws specifically do you tighten? I have 2 12's so whatever you've had to do... I prob have to also haha

Mostly the driver seat bolts cuz I'm like over 230 pound (trust me, I'm not bragging). Although I'm still bumping stock JBL's I did have to put a thick layer of medical gauze under my rear deck cover to keep it from vibrating during bass heavy music (old ghetto trick). I also had screws loose in my B-pillar but that was probably due to me not torqueing them correctly before when I first removed the rear deck. Starting to get a slight squeak in the dash but I don't think I'll ever find it or know what to tighten even if I did. Again, not bad for a 6 year-old car being battered by northeast Ohio road conditions and weather on a daily basis.
Current: 2008 Brick Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Upgrade Pkg# 2
Previous: 2005 Arctic Frost Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Return to Toyota Solara OEM