[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Struts and Steering
Stock talk about Solara

Struts and Steering

Struts and Steering

Postby Pocketman » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:09 am

'05 SLE with 70,000 miles

After driving my wife's new Camry, I cannot help but notice how much tighter the steering feels in the Camry. Granted, there's 69,000 milesdifference in the two cars. Several years ago, after replacing the struts in a previous car, it drove and handled almost like new. Is 70,000 miles too soon to replace struts and are my expectations of tighter steering unreasonable?
2006 Absolutely Red SLE Coupe
Pocketman
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Struts and Steering

Postby GzNutz » Mon May 02, 2011 2:13 pm

Do you have any mods? The TRD FSTB and RSB make a huge difference in the lara's cornering ability.
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Black Bob » Wed May 04, 2011 6:48 am

Struts can go at any time and that, alone, depends on alotta factors--road conditions (potholes), weather temperatures, strut quality, etc. However, there is a certain "garage talk" trend that's been noticed regarding strut failure sequence: the fronts always tend to go first before the rears, the passenger side front always seems to be the first or the worst and the driver side rear tends to be the least last or least damaged. Common thought is that potholes, debris, dead animals are mostly located curbside. Of course this trend doesn't take into effect just plain old bad strut quality.

As far as the steering feeling a little different than a brand spankin' new car, well, that's natural. Also, being that I just replaced my front struts also, a better ride is to be expected. Tighter steering will only be possible if replacing your steering pumps or linkage, not strut replacement. The pressure within the strut does decline over time before absolute failure but the decline is too little to notice, steering feel should be uneffected. On the other hand, strut FAILURE is highly noticeable-- steering straight will will feel like a pull, turning will feel "shaky", you would start to hear a knocking sound from your wheel well over every little bump and there might be excessive bounce even on smooth roads.
Current: 2008 Brick Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Upgrade Pkg# 2
Previous: 2005 Arctic Frost Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Postby Pocketman » Fri May 06, 2011 7:56 am

I appreciate your comments Black Bob. I'll have the struts checked when I have the car serviced. No doubt they are worn after 70k, but I need to keep my expectations reasonable.

My Solara is virtually 100% stock, including the suspension.
2006 Absolutely Red SLE Coupe
Pocketman
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Black Bob » Fri May 06, 2011 8:15 am

I just had my front struts changed at a little over 100k miles, not due to preventive maintenance but because one of them just completely failed. Currently I'm at 109k miles and I still have my stock rear struts on.
Current: 2008 Brick Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Upgrade Pkg# 2
Previous: 2005 Arctic Frost Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Return to Toyota Solara OEM