[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - 2003 solara, idle and cruise problems.
Stock talk about Solara

2003 solara, idle and cruise problems.

2003 solara, idle and cruise problems.

Postby softtailgolf » Sun May 08, 2011 5:58 am

Has anyone had the following problems with their 2.4 liter solara. Problem 1: I have 184,000 miles on my baby and it just started running poorly when coming to a stop. It idles up and down and then stalls. It starts right back up and you need to keep your foot on the brake and gas to keep it from stalling again.
Problem 2. May or may not be related to problem 1 . When running along in cruise all of a sudden the car will kick out of cruise, the rpms race, the speedometer drops to zero then both may bounce back and forth a few times , then car will correct itself and run ok. Occasionally this will happen the same way when not in cruise.
Looking for some help as to what thiis may be.
Done some online research and in the V6's it seems there is an idle control valve, but I don't seem to find one on the 2.4.
Also the Map valve could be the problem, or speed sensor if there is one .
the sensors are not cheap, and I have an appointment with mechanic, just looking for some input ahead of time.
thanks
softtailgolf
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: 2003 solara, idle and cruise problems.

Postby crispone » Mon May 09, 2011 2:46 pm

Sounds like a good diagnostic and tune-up might be a place to start! Not seeing any SPECIFIC indication of what the issue is at the moment... and perhaps some more history on the car, how long YOU'VE had it... WHEN this all started... IF it worked fine up until now... when the last tune-up was... WHAT was done during the tune up... etc, etc...

BTW, with this symptom occurring intermittently, I would STRONGLY DISCOURAGE any further use of the cruise control until you sort it out. :wink:

G/L!

-crisp :evilbat:
crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Re: 2003 solara, idle and cruise problems.

Postby ThurzNite » Tue May 10, 2011 12:18 am

Stalling while idle would lead me to think EGR valve, idle air control valve, or mass air flow sensor.

For EGR, quickly make sure all tubes aren't blocked.

Not sure how to test iacv off the top of my head. I think you have to give power to specific terminals and see if it switches. Check FSM for procedure.

There's a lot of threads on MAF sensors. Many people claim cleaning that can perform miracles. Pick up a can of MAF cleaner and spray away, let dry thoroughly, and try that.
If you're having issues when decelerating, I'm thinking spark plugs. As noted in the post above, when's the last time you changed out the sparks?

Throttle position sensor. I don't recall that being common here. But it could explain the racing throttle.

IACV, as discussed above.

Dr J
ThurzNite
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to Toyota Solara OEM