[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - "Induction process"
Stock talk about Solara

"Induction process"

"Induction process"

Postby Ms B » Fri May 13, 2011 8:27 am

I have a 2005 Solara SLE that I love more than any car I have had before or since. She spends winters indoors and so she only has 29K miles on her so far.

I took her to my local dealer for her spring look-over, as well as the 30K mile service (a bit early, but in light of her winter off, a precaution). My dealer agrees the oil change is a good idea because it has been in the car over a year, even though the customary miles have not passed yet. He says that I do not need a new oil or cabin air filter or a tire rotation.

However, my dealer is suggesting both replacement of the transmission fluid and an "induction process". Now, I can understand why fluid would need to be replaced generally, but is this unnecessary in light of the few miles on the car? Or is it just a function of the condition of the transmission fluid which, being six and half years old, really could be dirty?

However, in twenty-five years of driving and owning cars, I have never heard of an "induction process". My car is driven primarily for pleasure around town and for a couple shorter (400-500 mile) road trips a year. Is induction something really necessary for typical driving, or is the dealer trying to sell me bill of goods (for $140 plus tax)?

Your help is much appreciated!!
Ms B
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: "Induction process"

Postby djandrey_M » Mon May 16, 2011 11:20 pm

induction process.... weird....
djandrey_M
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby 1gSE » Mon May 16, 2011 11:40 pm

You sure he didn't say induction service? http://www.bgprod.com/products/fuelair.html When I worked a shop we'd offer something similar to customers. Unless you're having issues, I wouldn't really recommend it. Its one of those services that make a good profit. You can probably do the same thing with a can of seafoam
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Black Bob » Wed May 18, 2011 9:00 am

The dealership is looking at pure profit. Solaras intake systems, engines and transmissions are great but they DO NOT require a maintenace schedule of a Ferrari as the dealer suggests. Although, I would go with the oil change due to the car sitting during winter. I would recommend an oil change based mostly on a 'piece of mind' level--if somehow trace water (condensation) occurred within the engine during storage (rare) you would want to remove it. Plus, oil changes are cheap (dealerships not included). Also, more consideration should be what condition the gasoline is in from sitting in storage. You can buy fuel conditioner OR just store it close to empty while refilling it once winter is over OR do both. I usually get my tires rotated every oil change but since you're few and far between you should visually keep an eye out for the front tires showing less tread the the rear, if so then rotate.
Current: 2008 Brick Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Upgrade Pkg# 2
Previous: 2005 Arctic Frost Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Return to Toyota Solara OEM