[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Throttle Body Service
Stock talk about Solara

Throttle Body Service

Throttle Body Service

Postby JSTKVC » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:42 pm

Is it really necessary or advisable to have Throttle Body Cleaning / Service done on a 2006 Solara V6 with 90K miles? I haven't noticed any hesitation or drop in MPG.

Also, does anyone have comments / reviews on Chevron Techron or other fuel additives? I have consistently purchase gasoline from top tier brands (Chevron / Shell) typically regular unleaded for in-town driving and I fill up with premium unleaded for long distance trips. Owner's manual claims "for increased performance use premium unleaded".

Thanks for reading my post.
JSTKVC
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Throttle Body Service

Postby 1gSE » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:15 am

Cleaning the tb is more of a peace of mind thing. Yeah you can get some build up, but unless something is seriously wrong with your car, it shouldn't be much of an issue. Its as simple as getting a rag and some carb cleaner and wiping down the inside and the butterfly. It'll iterally take seconds to do.

I've heard techron is one of the better fuels to use. The fuel additives (i'm guessing you mean octane boosters) are a waste of money
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Black Bob » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:25 pm

I agree--all off-the-shelf additives are an absolute waste of money and some can actually do more harm than good. Oil and fuel additives is a bastard industry full of hype, so basically it's not worth the risk AND the money.

And in regards to whether you need throttle body cleaning, any fouling of the throttle body is due to bad gas AND design and would be highly noticeable. Solara/Camry engines as far as I'm aware are not prone to fouling in this regards and unless you've been using a Shell/Chevron station with leaky supply tanks I don't foresee you needing to clean the throttle body anytime soon.
Current: 2008 Brick Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Upgrade Pkg# 2
Previous: 2005 Arctic Frost Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Postby JSTKVC » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:39 pm

Awesome! Thank you for the advice.
2006 Solara V6 SLE Convertible - best car ever owned, enjoyed in moderation
2010 Prius - Daily Driver
2011 Lexus 450h
JSTKVC
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby ThurzNite » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:46 am

Black Bob wrote: unless you've been using a Shell/Chevron station with leaky supply tanks

I musta missed the news on this. Got a link or more info? Sounds interesting, as I've been shopping to buy a gas station, it's something I'd like to inspect before getting into it.

Dr J
ThurzNite
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Black Bob » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:46 am

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that Shell/Chevron has leaky supply tanks, I was just trying to relay the fact that the large retail chain gas stations (no matter BP, Valero, Shell, etc. etc.) rarely have problems with contaminated gasoline. In fact the stringent inspection schedules and mandated replacement of supply tanks by nearly all stations pretty much make contamination non-existant.

So if you're looking to buy a gas station, the real worry is more about location, local competition and bringing in customers away from the pump and into your convenient store. I never owned a gas station but my friend previously owned two BP's and is so much happier after he dumped them. In his case, the main problem was BP's ever increasing take on his profits even though he had good location and little competition at both.
Current: 2008 Brick Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Upgrade Pkg# 2
Previous: 2005 Arctic Frost Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Postby onefiend » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:12 am

I also noticed that if you have an air-intake installed or run a high-flow air-filter like K&N, you get more crud in your throttle body as well.
2007 Camry SE V6
onefiend
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Return to Toyota Solara OEM