[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - 2000 V6 Solara Acceleration Problem
Stock talk about Solara

2000 V6 Solara Acceleration Problem

2000 V6 Solara Acceleration Problem

Postby phild1087 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:09 am

I was a good little n00b and searched the forums first, but couldn't quite find a problem that matched up with what I'm experiencing. This seems like the place to go for Solara tips/tricks/advice, so here it goes:

I have a 2000 Toyota Solara, V6. About 130k on the car. Plugs (no wires) were done a little over a year ago, change my oil regularly, timing belt has not been done (to my knowledge.. bought the car just after 100k on the odometer). No other sensors or anything have gone bad while I've had the car; there was a check engine light that came on and went off on its own for an irregular misfire. That was about 2.5 years ago, hasn't happened since.

Basically, while I'm accelerating heavy (pulling into traffic, merging, etc.), the car just doesn't seem as quick as it used to be, especially in 2nd gear. The other thing is that there are surges in the acceleration, irregularities. Around 4000rpm the acceleration will blip quicker, then go back to where it was, then blip quicker again, the go down, and by then it's time to shift into third. I don't notice it as much in 3rd gear, but it's there. Again, this only happens when I'm trying to get up and go. There's been a decreasing in my mileage of about 3-4 mph as well. Not sure if this is significant or not.

I'm pretty sure my compressor needs to be replaced, but it does this regardless of when the AC is on or off. From what I've heard, the fuel filter shouldn't be the issue because the filters are designed to quite literally last forever in Toyotas (if that's wrong, please tell me).

Any ideas? I appreciate anything you've got. THANKS! :)
phild1087
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: 2000 V6 Solara Acceleration Problem

Postby JSTKVC » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:26 am

I'm not a mechanic... But I would start with throttle body service then transmission flush/fluid change. Both are relatively inexpensive services. Beyond these two recommendations, I will leave it to the more experienced members of this forum.

Though not directly related, I wouldn't wait any longer for timing belt change. Those are supposed to be change at 90K service. Not worth the risk.

Good luck!
2006 Solara V6 SLE Convertible - best car ever owned, enjoyed in moderation
2010 Prius - Daily Driver
2011 Lexus 450h
JSTKVC
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: 2000 V6 Solara Acceleration Problem

Postby DSM_Lara » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:00 am

As we say in Hawaii "E Komo Mai" Image to Solaraguy.

X2 on changing the trans fluid and timing belt.
But, I tought that our engine are non interference?
1999 Toyota Solara SE V6 (TRD Edition) Rare Greddy EvoII/CP-E Intake/Renova Grill/Black Housing Front/OEM Hood Deflector :kp: :spam3: :spam1:Musubi
DSM_Lara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Return to Toyota Solara OEM