[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Noisy downpipe
Stock talk about Solara

Noisy downpipe

Noisy downpipe

Postby Sol-Toy » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:29 am

Hey all, I'm taking my car into the shop tomorrow to have the exhaust manifold looked at. It's been loud for a few months now and it finally caught up to me. The check engine light just went on a few days ago and my guess is that the 02 sensor is picking up the unusual exhaust mix because of the leak.

What kind of cost are we looking at here? Labor, parts... etc

Its my 2000, 1mz v6
2013 WRX Wagon Premium in crystal black silica - current

2012 RAV4 S - Wife's

2000 Solara 1mz - sold after recording 160k mi

https://www.instagram.com/andygriesemer/
Sol-Toy
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: Noisy downpipe

Postby ThurzNite » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:51 am

Tough to say without a diagnosis. Can you get the check engine light read first?
Dr J
ThurzNite
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby TadS » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:55 pm

If you're lucky it'll just be one of the donuts. If it's a manifold I've seen them going for $40 on eBay.
Let's just pretend I didn't grow up, or you're going to be terribly disappointed.
TadS
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Saranael » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:28 am

I have the exact same problem.

Before you move on reading, know that your leak could be different then mine.

MINE is in the flex pipe part of the Y-Pipe. I have a Cali emissions vehicle so it has 2 cats. Any mechanic would quote me $700-$1200 for a replacement. That's 95% part cost. But I just bought the fitting y-pipe on 1a-auto.com for $311.

The faulty exhaust mixture screwed up my less than one year old O2 sensor (Bank 1 Sensor 1) and my car started misfiring on cylinders now (I replaced all spark plugs AND wires with Iridium NGK plugs about a year ago, ~5000miles).

Sensors are expensive, but make sure to buy quality ones. You can get quality ones a lot cheaper than they would be in Autozone on varying websites.

I just have to figure out how to replace the y-pipe. I don't want to waste labor cost on it because it seems to be an easy process.

That all said, it's my situation. Not yours. Yours might be much easier, just pray that the leak is not on the y-pipe. If it is, have it checked out. Sometimes it can just be welded.
Saranael
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to Toyota Solara OEM