[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Y-pipe leak, replacement questions
Stock talk about Solara

Y-pipe leak, replacement questions

Y-pipe leak, replacement questions

Postby Saranael » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:32 am

My problem is in the flex pipe part of the Y-Pipe. I have a Cali emissions vehicle so it has 2 cats. Any mechanic would quote me $700-$1200 for a replacement. That's 95% part cost. But I just bought the fitting y-pipe on 1a-auto.com for $311.

The faulty exhaust mixture screwed up my less than one year old O2 sensor (Bank 1 Sensor 1) and my car started misfiring on cylinders now (I replaced all spark plugs AND wires with Iridium NGK plugs about a year ago, ~5000miles).

I just have to figure out how to replace the y-pipe. I don't want to waste labor cost on it because it seems to be an easy process.

Several mechanics told me it cannot be welded, so I got the y-pipe. Can anyone give me tips on all of that? Your thoughts?

I can't drive my car because it's misfiring. I'm getting the CEL checked out tomorrow to see what specific cylinders are the problem. Hopefully the front ones so I can check the plugs easily.
Saranael
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Y-pipe leak, replacement questions

Postby chriscarter » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:31 am

Go online to find the best price on the right headpipe/y-pipe. I find it unlikely that an exhaust leak at the flex would cause misfiring and destroy an O2 sensor. All I can think it would do is reduce driveability...not adversely affect other components. I think you have other issues. Check the trouble codes.
chriscarter

Postby 1gSE » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:21 am

^^^ what he said. And it CAN be welded, they just want your money. Take it to an exhaust shop. Its as simple as cutting the piece out and welding a new on in its place. Then figure out what else is wrong with it
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Solorange » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:09 am

I too have this problem as of last night where the flex hose in the front exhuast pipe is worn out and leaking. I actually screwed it more last night not knowing it was going out when I punched the accelerator and then my car had a lot of wheel hop. Afte that the engine started making a deep low growl noise (Kindof sounds good!). So I bet it was on its way out and I just killed it probably by flexing it. Anyway Im seeing them online going for around $1500 bucks. I never antisipated changing the full exhaust in this car, but now might be my opportunity. Money is tight so Im going to check with an exhaust shop first if they can weld in a new flexible hose
1999 Toyota Solara SEV6 5speed
2009 Toyota Highlander Sport
2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Solorange
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby chriscarter » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:53 pm

Go to EBAY.......found one without flex but with converter..........$312.............check all items listed......flex repair section (requires welding).....$100
chriscarter

Postby Solorange » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:16 pm

I actually just found a shop that does custom exhaust and they cut off the old flex hose and welded in a new one. Its good as new again and it only cost me $230.

For anyone else who ends up having this problem I called several muffler shops and they all just buy the bolt in replacement parts which is going to cost you anywhere from $300 to $1500 dollars just for parts depending on what brand they use. Your best bet is to find a place that does custom exhaust work and they can get it done much cheaper.
1999 Toyota Solara SEV6 5speed
2009 Toyota Highlander Sport
2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Solorange
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Return to Toyota Solara OEM