[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Car will not stay on after starting?
Stock talk about Solara

Car will not stay on after starting?

Car will not stay on after starting?

Postby norrissolara » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:58 pm

I have a 99 v6 manual transmission solara. I have no clue why when I start the car it suddenly turns off? It hasn't had a tune up for a while. Has this happened to anyone to anyone before? I know everyone is gonna just shoot answers of what they think but I'm more looking for experienced answers. Any help would be gladly appreciated thanks! :D
norrissolara
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Car will not stay on after starting?

Postby chriscarter » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:45 pm

Need a bit more info. How long after it starts does it cut off? Did the engine backfire or "pop" recently? Does it sputter first, or just shut off? Clutch in or out? Does it start right up immediately, do you have to let it sit, or does it crank a little then start? Any noises from the engine? Will it ever keep running or does this happen every time you start the car? Do any dash warning lights come on before or during the engine stopping (yes, they all come on after it stalls)?

Without this info.....you can start with the very basics:

Make sure all air intake hoses are connected.
Is air filter plugged?
How old is the fuel filter?
Did the PCV valve pop out of its grommet (passenger side of engine, under intake manifold)? Is PCV operating properly?

Give us some more info and we might be able to head you in the right direction.
chriscarter

Postby ThurzNite » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:31 am

norrissolara wrote:I know everyone is gonna just shoot answers of what they think but I'm more looking for experienced answers.

chriscarter wrote:Need a bit more info.
Give us some more info and we might be able to head you in the right direction.

norrissolara, with an attitude like that, you're just asking for it. Please be sensitive to those you're seeking help from. Be a bit more humble perhaps? And yes, we're all shooting in the dark till you give more info like chriscarter said.

I'm happy to help, and would be more inclined to help if you changed the way you asked for it. Waiting for more info on your situation...

Dr J
ThurzNite
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby ThatVietGuy » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:28 am

You got gremlins.
ThatVietGuy
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby PTSOLARA » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:45 am

I have experience with something similar. (Not sure if it is exactly what you are seeing)

Here is my symptom:
Every other day, when i start my car, it will start but would stall immediately. I would have to start the car again, step on the gas and keep the idle above 800 rpm just to keep the car alive. As long as i keep the rpm above 800rpm then the car is drivable. Once i started driving the car, I will need to keep the rpm up or put in gear until the car is "warm-up". After about 5 minutes, this symptom would go away and the car would idle properly. It requires a little bit of a skill to drive

My mechanic told me a part called "idler-air control valve" is probably malfunctioning. He said come back when it is completely dead since it is probably going to cost a few hundred bucks to replace the part.

Let me know if you are experiencing this issue. I also have a 1999 V6 5 speed with 245k so far.
1999 Solara SE V6 Red 5 speed Sports Ed.
Tokico/Eibach Whiteline FSB/RSB Ingen
PTSOLARA
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby ThatVietGuy » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:57 am

This retard isn't coming back since he didn't get "experienced answers" :roll:
ThatVietGuy
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Return to Toyota Solara OEM