[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Just bought 2002 solara HELP ME!
Stock talk about Solara

Just bought 2002 solara HELP ME!

Just bought 2002 solara HELP ME!

Postby Solarachick » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:37 pm

I recently purchased a 2002 a couple weeks a go it has 141,000k .
Just wondering if these cars need any certain service besides a basic tune up ??
Just did an oil change full synthetic + new spark plugs only.
Pass smog no engine light but car takes about 2-3 times to start
Belt makes noise when ac is on wondering if it needs to be replaced.??

2002 SOLARA SLE V6 ,20" KMC WHEELS, FULL EXHAUST , LOWERED,TINTED WINDOWS,SMOKED TAILIGHTS,10K HIDS WITH MORE TO COME!!.
Solarachick
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Just bought 2002 solara HELP ME!

Postby Down2TheC » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:54 pm

If it doesn't look ripped up or rotted, try some belt dressing on that belt before replacing.
http://solara.down2thec.com/gallery/
"We need failures in this world... failures gives us lap dances and chicken nuggets and I like both."
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Solarachick » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:33 pm

Down2TheC wrote:If it doesn't look ripped up or rotted, try some belt dressing on that belt before replacing.

Thank u very much i will definitely have to check it out ! :)
2002 SOLARA SLE V6 ,20" KMC WHEELS, FULL EXHAUST , LOWERED,TINTED WINDOWS,SMOKED TAILIGHTS,10K HIDS WITH MORE TO COME!!.
Solarachick
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Black Bob » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:34 am

Firstly, does it looked like the belt was changed around 41k miles ago, if not--replace. If replaced, common preventive maintenance is to also replace the water pump when replacing the belt (it prevents you from paying labor twice).

When you say, 2-3 times to start do you mean the engine doesn't 'turn over' at all or it 'turns over' but just doesn't start? My 115k mile Gen 2 'Lara didn't start but did turn over after 1-2 twist of the key on sporadic occasions but I chalked it up to injector age/combustion buildup and not starter issues but it ALWAYS started. You might try SeaFoam treatments, I never personally used the product but alot of members here swear by that product.
Current: 2008 Brick Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Upgrade Pkg# 2
Previous: 2005 Arctic Frost Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Postby TLMNICK » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:29 am

Welcome :)

Is your car a 4-cyl, or a V6? I can't really imagine why it wouldn't want to start on the first try, but given the age, and mileage, I would be tempted to give the car a full tune up. Oil, filter, air filter, plugs, plug wires, throttle body clean, Sea-foam through the intake manifold, and possibly a timing belt if that hasn't been done yet. As for the belt squeal, if the belt isn't that old, it's possible that whoever changed it didn't quite tighten it enough.
TLMNICK
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Solarachick » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:37 am

Black Bob wrote:Firstly, does it looked like the belt was changed around 41k miles ago, if not--replace. If replaced, common preventive maintenance is to also replace the water pump when replacing the belt (it prevents you from paying labor twice).

When you say, 2-3 times to start do you mean the engine doesn't 'turn over' at all or it 'turns over' but just doesn't start? My 115k mile Gen 2 'Lara didn't start but did turn over after 1-2 twist of the key on sporadic occasions but I chalked it up to injector age/combustion buildup and not starter issues but it ALWAYS started. You might try SeaFoam treatments, I never personally used the product but alot of members here swear by that product.

It only happens on occaision say it starts and it seems like it just wants to die out!!
hasnt been doing it to me recently!!
THanks for your advice 8)
Solarachick
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Solarachick » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:39 am

TLMNICK wrote:Welcome :)

Is your car a 4-cyl, or a V6? I can't really imagine why it wouldn't want to start on the first try, but given the age, and mileage, I would be tempted to give the car a full tune up. Oil, filter, air filter, plugs, plug wires, throttle body clean, Sea-foam through the intake manifold, and possibly a timing belt if that hasn't been done yet. As for the belt squeal, if the belt isn't that old, it's possible that whoever changed it didn't quite tighten it enough.

I just changed oil filter !! i have a K&N air filter and cleaned that out did oil + plugs not wires !

Appreciate the help! :D
Solarachick
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby chriscarter » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:45 pm

Replace the belt(s)

Put a bottle of Fuel System Cleaner in a full tank of gas.

Check air and fuel filters.

Replace timing belt and idler pulleys as insurance (if you have a V-6).

Stick with synthetic oil.

Flush coolant if discolored or has an "off" smell.
chriscarter

Postby Solarachick » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:04 pm

chriscarter wrote:Replace the belt(s)

Put a bottle of Fuel System Cleaner in a full tank of gas.

Check air and fuel filters.

Replace timing belt and idler pulleys as insurance (if you have a V-6).

Stick with synthetic oil.

Flush coolant if discolored or has an "off" smell.

Thanks and i was wondering if cai help with fuel efficiency?
Solarachick
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby chriscarter » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:34 am

cai ?
chriscarter

Postby 1gSE » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:18 am

cai = cold air intake. I'm not sure how much it would increase fuel efficiency (assuming you don't change your driving style)...most people's mileage goes down because they get on the gas more often to hear that V6 sing to them. But in theory, it should improve since it's less restrictive than the factory intake, but there really isn't any solid data except for guestimating
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby chriscarter » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:01 am

Agreed. Actually, cleaner intakes and free-flow exhausts do improve engine efficiency and therefore mileage. However, anyone installing these items is looking for better performance, and will drive more "spiritedly" once they are installed. That's where you lose mileage.....when you really put your foot into it.
chriscarter

Postby Solarachick » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:57 pm

chriscarter wrote:cai ?

Cold air intake? :)
Solarachick
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby chriscarter » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:25 pm

see above post, Solarachick...

After driving since your initial post, is your car running and starting more smoothly?
chriscarter

Postby chriscarter » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:44 am

You still haven't told us if you have a 4-cyl or a V-6. Makes a difference in lotsa areas.

BTW...I'm working on a modification for the V-6 air intake system that will use a K&N tapered cone filter and retain all vacuum/breather inlets. Will be slightly more restrictive that the Injen aluminum tube, but should save you about $140. Stay tuned.

Sorry, don't own a 4-cyl, late model Toyota, so I can't come up with one for that........yet.
chriscarter

Next

Return to Toyota Solara OEM