[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - 200k
Stock talk about Solara

Postby pennsolara » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:47 pm

I just past 200k on my 06 and she's still running strong. It needed a pass side front wheel bearing at 36k mile (covered under warranty) and just recently, a driver's side rear caliper at 190k. The A/C is also very weak, so I suspect that I will need a repair next summer.

A few things that I've replaced along the way:
Tires - Michelin MXV Primacy (80k out of them), BFG Advantage T/A's (85k so far)...due for a new set
Brakes - Brembo front and rear OEM rotors and 2 sets of EBC red pads
Fluids - original brake, P/S and trans fluid still in it...will be changing all three this spring
Oil - Toyota changed the oil every 5k until 100k, then Jiffy Lube used Penzoil every 5k
Filters - Fram cabin and K&N air
Plugs - Denso irridiums
Battery - Diehard Gold

This car has been through it's share of hell (2 deer hits and 1 rear ending at a stop light), but still soldiers on. Keep in mind that I drive between 30-40k miles every year at steady highway speeds. The bottom of the car is completely dry (no leaks), the CV boots clean, the exhaust solid and the struts show no signs of leakage. I'll give you my next update at 300k...
pennsolara
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: 200k

Postby Black Bob » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:23 am

Congrats! Did you forget to mention the timing belt and water pump preventive maintenance replacement?
Current: 2008 Brick Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Upgrade Pkg# 2
Previous: 2005 Arctic Frost Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Postby pennsolara » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:03 am

You're right - the first timing belt/tensioner/water pump/drive belts were done at115k (Toyota). Unfortunately, the replacement belt broke at 180k, due to a leaking water pump. I'm a little disappointed that the Toyota replacement water pump only lasted 70k miles, but the factory unit went 115k. The original water pump was replaced as a preventive, although it was still in good shape according to the mechanic who replaced it. The engine sustained no damage, because it is a non interference engine. We'll see if this replacement (also Toyota) makes it past 70k...
pennsolara
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Black Bob » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:04 am

Yeah, experienced lesser quality Toyota OEM parts myself. Once when my 'Lara's headlight got cracked in an accident and was replaced with a Toyota OEM I noticed months later the heat from the bulb was burning off a film inside the lens and almost through it also. To make a long story short, plastic prices are through the roof and the Toyota's supplier bought cheap plastic with Toyota's blessing. Moral of story: just because it says OEM doesn't mean it's the same quality as the original.
Current: 2008 Brick Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Upgrade Pkg# 2
Previous: 2005 Arctic Frost Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Postby mig0s » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:24 pm

pennsolara wrote:You're right - the first timing belt/tensioner/water pump/drive belts were done at115k (Toyota). Unfortunately, the replacement belt broke at 180k, due to a leaking water pump. I'm a little disappointed that the Toyota replacement water pump only lasted 70k miles, but the factory unit went 115k. The original water pump was replaced as a preventive, although it was still in good shape according to the mechanic who replaced it. The engine sustained no damage, because it is a non interference engine. We'll see if this replacement (also Toyota) makes it past 70k...

That's why I like non interference engines. You change your timing belt when it breaks :)
1999 V6 5-Speed... so beautiful :' )
Black housing headlights, corner. 55w 6k HID, 2500k fogs, TWM Short Shifter+weighted knob, Tein+KYB, TRD lip kit + Acura CL type-S front lip. TSW Kyalami 18x8. Cutom 2.5" SS free flow muffler.
mig0s
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to Toyota Solara OEM