[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - BRAKE PADS
Stock talk about Solara

BRAKE PADS

BRAKE PADS

Postby Bippusol » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:01 am

Yes I've searched around, found a couple things, just wanted to get opinions from the solaraguy community.
what kind of brake pads should I get?
haha simple question but I've had the hardest time deciding what kind of pads to get for my gen 1.
price is also a factor so if they're good pads I might only just get the fronts for right now cause I am low on $
I've done a lot of research :morning: and I think the following are good choices :

duralast gold cmax from autozone - $60 for front $55 for rear
tru-stop oe ceramics from napa - $28 for front $30 for rear
hawk performance pads from pepboys - $19 for front $16 for rear
toyota oem pads - $$ ??

the duralast have good reviews but wayy expensive. the ones from napa have good reviews and cheap but I've read some grind into rotors quickly and some don't. the hawks aren't ceramic so theres gonna be a lot of brake dust but they are super cheap and have good reviews. I would go w/ oem pads but idk how much they are but i bet they're a lot :b haha
I'm kind of leaning towards the pads from napa. does anyone run any of these pads on their car if so how are they? can anyone direct me towards good pads for DD.
also do i have to resurface my rotors? they still feel/look smooth af. car only has 39k miles

Thank You
01 SE-V6, Stock as Fock (=
Bippusol
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: BRAKE PADS

Postby dinoxor » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:48 am

I use duralast's semi-metallic instead of the ceramic ones.
The reason being is that the ceramic will eat the stock rotors faster although you get the benefits of better and quieter braking in addition to noticeably lesser brake dust.
not suree if this is true and please correct me if I'm wrong.

However the main benefit for me using duralast is because my local Autozone granted me a lifetime warrenty on it!
All I need to do is bring in my old and worn duralast pads and voila brand new pads fo life yo. ;]

As for rotors my gf's papa told me that he usually resurface it every time he changes his pads since you might as well kill two birds with one stone.
again please correct me when I'm wrong.

I only resurfaced my front rotors once (not sure what the previous owners did) and that was because my steering would wobble violently every time I braked, even slightly, on highways.

hope this helps!
but man 39k?!?!?! wtf! your car is still a baby!
currently I'm at around 140k. good luck yo!
dinoxor
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Bippusol » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:00 am

dinoxor wrote:I use duralast's semi-metallic instead of the ceramic ones.
The reason being is that the ceramic will eat the stock rotors faster although you get the benefits of better and quieter braking in addition to noticeably lesser brake dust.
not suree if this is true and please correct me if I'm wrong.

However the main benefit for me using duralast is because my local Autozone granted me a lifetime warrenty on it!
All I need to do is bring in my old and worn duralast pads and voila brand new pads fo life yo. ;]

As for rotors my gf's papa told me that he usually resurface it every time he changes his pads since you might as well kill two birds with one stone.
again please correct me when I'm wrong.

I only resurfaced my front rotors once (not sure what the previous owners did) and that was because my steering would wobble violently every time I braked, even slightly, on highways.

hope this helps!
but man 39k?!?!?! wtf! your car is still a baby!
currently I'm at around 140k. good luck yo!

thanks for the input! someone on a local forum recommended the same ones w/ the same reasons. lifetime warranty. haha, are the semi metallics squeeky all day everyday or after a certain amount of miles? i might just take my rotors to o'reillys to resurface them then, 10 bucks a rotor.
and yeahh man almost @ 40k, not bad for an 01 tho. when i got her she had 5k and that was...... 21 months ago. seems like i put on hella miles ina short amont of time :/
Bippusol
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby dinoxor » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:59 pm

not sure I changed my front brake pads on at around 130k miles and it's still going strong no noticeable squeaks or anything! I mean when you're inside the cabin with the radio off all you really hear is that hissing noise every time you hit the brakes but no, no squeaks at all! if there were squeaks
I would assume that the pads are worn down revealing the wear indicator is whats casuing the squeaks
but it the brakes were to squeak than bam gonna bring them in and get new ones.

After reading for a while I noticed that most of the members don't go with my route and invested with more performance based pads.
so don't listen to me! wait for more input! As far as I know I'm the only one who has duralast pads.
dinoxor
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby ThatVietGuy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:52 pm

I liked the Axxis Ultimates I had on before the car was sold.

It was like $30 for the fronts, pretty nice bite after getting warmed up.
ThatVietGuy
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Bippusol » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:30 pm

ThatVietGuy wrote:I liked the Axxis Ultimates I had on before the car was sold.

thanks. did you purchase those online? or at a store?
Bippusol
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Bippusol » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:32 pm

dinoxor wrote:not sure I changed my front brake pads on at around 130k miles and it's still going strong no noticeable squeaks or anything! I mean when you're inside the cabin with the radio off all you really hear is that hissing noise every time you hit the brakes but no, no squeaks at all! if there were squeaks
I would assume that the pads are worn down revealing the wear indicator is whats casuing the squeaks
but it the brakes were to squeak than bam gonna bring them in and get new ones.

After reading for a while I noticed that most of the members don't go with my route and invested with more performance based pads.
so don't listen to me! wait for more input! As far as I know I'm the only one who has duralast pads.

yes, the power of warranty. well sh!t i might hop on the duralast train, might pick up some cmax ones, but i'll def try the semi metallic ones first; thanks!
Bippusol
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby ThatVietGuy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:58 pm

Bippusol wrote:
ThatVietGuy wrote:I liked the Axxis Ultimates I had on before the car was sold.

thanks. did you purchase those online? or at a store?

I had a friend at a dealership that hooked it up.
ThatVietGuy
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Return to Toyota Solara OEM