[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Looking to buy....
Stock talk about Solara

Looking to buy....

Looking to buy....

Postby kwik-6 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:02 pm

This is my first post and it looks like a good place to get input on a Solara. Hopefully, there are some 'vert owners on here and can give me honest input. I've had a few convertibles and know they are never perfect. But hopefully, I can determine if the design of the Sloara is relatively leak-free and decently quiet. For example, are the windows programmed to do last "tweak" of lift after the door is shut?

It will be a summer driver. I'm looking for an 06 - 08 with relatively low miles.

Any opinions and suggestions are welcome.
2007 Chev Silverado Duramax (65k), 2011 Chev Equinox (12k), 1994 Olds Cutlass 'Vert (52k), 1987 Buick Grand National (51k)
kwik-6
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Looking to buy....

Postby Down2TheC » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:00 am

The seal is very good on these. Some get a tiny dribble at the joint from roof to a-pillar in the worst wind and rain. There is no fancy programmed window closing. The seals have a lip and when you shut the door the windows tuck under that lip fine. '06 is Gen 2, and '07 and '08 (Gen 2.5) you'll see tweaked grill and fogs and tail lights and an AUX input for the stereo if it's the JBL.
Happy shopping, you'll love it. If you're a top down all the time guy like me, you'll want to check out http://www.lovethedrive.com/ (buy from Amazon though)
http://solara.down2thec.com/gallery/
"We need failures in this world... failures gives us lap dances and chicken nuggets and I like both."
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby kwik-6 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:15 pm

Thanks...my 94 Cutlass Supreme vert (52k miles) has been a great car and still looks and runs great. I've also had an 06 Pontiac G6 hardtop vert, but there was absolutely no trunk with the roof down. Since I dont drive my summer car in the winter, a ragtop will be best. I''ll have a Solara before spring...lots of good reports from those I talk with. I started looking at the Lexus IS250c, but actually think that a good Solara is 90% of the car for 50% of the money...plus it has some trunk room.
2007 Chev Silverado Duramax (65k), 2011 Chev Equinox (12k), 1994 Olds Cutlass 'Vert (52k), 1987 Buick Grand National (51k)
kwik-6
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Black Bob » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:11 am

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail/photos/multiPhotoPopup.jsp?paId=427036148&tracktype=usedcc&aff=national#0

Dang, a friend of mine was just talking about entertaining the idea of getting a Grand National. Closest one he found was an '86 T Type Turbo with failing paint in the next city over but other than that he couldn't find a decent one within a 100+ mile radius.

But back on topic, ultimately the Solara Gen 2-2.5 verts are virtually nil for leak complaints, just your typical complaints about body flexing over potholes and limited rear view with the top up. In my area (NE Ohio) you can still find '08s SLE verts with low mileage (~30-40k) for around $25k, '07 SE verts with average mileage (~80) for around the low teens. Gen 2 SE Sport verts (the sport package) are rarer than a bottle of Chivas Regal Royal Salute, so if you find one consider yourself lucky. I'm not sure where you're located so don't use my price quotes as a reference, the used-car market here still has a screwy price structure since the Japanese Earthquake and the crap local economy.
Current: 2008 Brick Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Upgrade Pkg# 2
Previous: 2005 Arctic Frost Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Postby crispone » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:07 pm

WELCOME!

Solara's are well reputed in that arena... although I don't have PERSONAL experience with the 'verts... (NO reference to Mr. Sandusky...)

This IS a great place for these cars! Get one, and stick around!

-crisp :evilbat:
crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby wkbrdr91 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:14 pm

Were selling our 2006 SLE V6 Solara convertible in a year if your in FL.

Has JBL, leather seats, heated seats. Roof does not leak unless you spray at an upwards angle on the front windows with a powerful hose (completely normal, even stated in owners manual). It has about 60k miles on it if I remember correctly, and it has always gone into the shop (Toyota) regularly for maintenance stuff on time. No body work has been done from any accidents or anything like that.

2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to Toyota Solara OEM