[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - after timing belt replacement trouble.
Stock talk about Solara

after timing belt replacement trouble.

after timing belt replacement trouble.

Postby calixt0 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:18 pm

OK I just replaced the timing belt water pump and resealed the oil pump because of some bad oil leaks. I got it all back together, it started and ran fine for about 3-5 mins and then shut off. now when I try to start the car it acts likes it going to start but then doesn't. did I do something wrong? it acts like a car that is out of gas. when trying to start it just barely wants to start but then doesn't. What should I be looking at. This is for a 99 v6 automatic solara.
calixt0
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: after timing belt replacement trouble.

Postby Gregtrd » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:34 pm

Sound like the timing off, possibly the tensioner was installed improperly
The Fastest Camry in Socal
366whp / 427wtq @10.5psi
Gregtrd
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby calixt0 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:09 pm

Gregtrd wrote:Sound like the timing off, possibly the tensioner was installed improperly

ok thanks. I will take the upper cover off and check to see if the timing marks still line up. if not I'll know that things I screwed up somewhere. I do have a question. when I was putting everything together and lining things up. The manual I used said to rotate 2 rotations to make sure the timing marks continue to line up. after I did that it kept the marks on the pulleys lined up but not the lines on the new belt. should both line up?
calixt0
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby calixt0 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:28 pm

Ok so I took the upper cover back off and reinspected things. The timing marks are right on. after further inspection I am getting fuel through the filter. I can get it to start after it sits for a few hours it will idle for a few minutes. After that I can get it to run with a little extra trottle up to about 2500 rpms. Its runs with assistance from 1000 rpms up to 2500. either below or above and it dies out.

I know fuel is getting there. I know the injectors are working and so is the fuel pump.

I Need help please guys.
calixt0
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Gregtrd » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:23 pm

If you have an obd scan tool check your fuel trims, you might have a vaccum leak.
The Fastest Camry in Socal
366whp / 427wtq @10.5psi
Gregtrd
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby calixt0 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:58 pm

ok so I took everything completely apart and found the timing belt sprocket off the crankshaft has 1 missing tooth (the big part that goes near the crankshaft sensor) and another about to be broke off. not sure how this happened but it has. would this cause this problem. allow to run for a short time each morning then end up dieing?
calixt0
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Solorange » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:36 am

I don't know the answer to your questions but you may want to have a chat with Gabe (TRD4life)
1999 Toyota Solara SEV6 5speed
2009 Toyota Highlander Sport
2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Solorange
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby calixt0 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:51 pm

Solorange wrote:I don't know the answer to your questions but you may want to have a chat with Gabe (TRD4life)

I've got it all figured out thanks for the help. others that may find this helpful the first problem with missing teeth on the crankshaft sensor. the oil leak was from the front cam shaft seal.
calixt0
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to Toyota Solara OEM