[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Broken Side Mirror (Gen 2)
Stock talk about Solara

Broken Side Mirror (Gen 2)

Broken Side Mirror (Gen 2)

Postby Jack Soulfire » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:17 pm

My passenger side mirror got hit and it cracked and broke the plastic housing/shell. The actual mirror wasn't damaged and the motor works fine. Does anyone have any advice for fixing this without replacing the whole mirror assembly? I'm assuming replacing the whole motorized mirror could be expensive, and it's really only the outer part that's cracked.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2006 V6 Solara SE Sport
Jack Soulfire
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: Broken Side Mirror (Gen 2)

Postby SteveSolara » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:39 pm

Theres really no repairing this. But you can try to find one at a junk yard, they are not too expensive.
Image Image
SteveSolara
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Black Bob » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:21 pm

In agreement with Steve, that housing is destroyed. Best scenario is checking the yards.

Side note: found out something new, you can buy the mirror separately from the housing but you can't by the housing without the mirror through alotta Toyota part websites. That's bull!
Current: 2008 Brick Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Upgrade Pkg# 2
Previous: 2005 Arctic Frost Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Postby SteveSolara » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:55 pm

Black Bob wrote: Side note: found out something new, you can buy the mirror separately from the housing but you can't by the housing without the mirror through alotta Toyota part websites. That's bull!

Thats true
Image Image
SteveSolara
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SteveSolara » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:20 pm

Do you still have the broken pieces? Is it all small pieces or big? If you think you can super glue it back together and back on the side mirror, you can do that and sand down the glue until its flush and repaint the side mirror. (you have to take the mirror off before you do anything.)
Image Image
SteveSolara
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Jack Soulfire » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:21 pm

I tried to find the piece(s) where it happened but unfortunately I couldn't.

Are the rear view mirrors on the Solara the same as the Camry? I'm wondering if it might make the search easier. Also curious if the Camry has a same silver (Lunar Mist) colored model.
2006 V6 Solara SE Sport
Jack Soulfire
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SteveSolara » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:32 pm

Jack Soulfire wrote:I tried to find the piece(s) where it happened but unfortunately I couldn't.

Are the rear view mirrors on the Solara the same as the Camry? I'm wondering if it might make the search easier. Also curious if the Camry has a same silver (Lunar Mist) colored model.

I dont think so, the mounts are prob different, especially that your an '06 solara. But the color i am not too sure
Image Image
SteveSolara
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Black Bob » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:59 am

The Solara and Camry are too completely different mirrors. I think this may be the cheapest route for you: http://www.carpartswholesale.com/v5/?N=0&sv=0&VN=4294967115+4294959021+4294958867+4294963589+4294966786&Ntt=Toyota&Nr=AND(universal:0)&ref=partfinder. Unfortunately I couldn't recommend any aftermarket spray paint, you'll have to experiment with that. Remember, the mirrors get roughed up just as much as the front bumper so the paint you decide on must have damn good adhesion.

I'd seriously weigh the cost between going this route and hoping for the best or just filing an insurance claim for quality and time sake.
Last edited by Black Bob on Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Postby SteveSolara » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:06 am

This is where i got my paint, when i painted my Right Fender when i got into an accident. I bought a new fender with black primer on it, so you had to sand that down before you do anything. Wet sanding preferably, 800 grit to 2000grit. These paint are the EXACT match, the most important is to find a VERY good Clear coat, not them autozone, pepboys one they suck, they dont hold very well and not as shiny.
Image Image
SteveSolara
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Jack Soulfire » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:27 pm

That link is broken.
2006 V6 Solara SE Sport
Jack Soulfire
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SteveSolara » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:44 pm

Woops apparently my link didnt show up Here it is http://www.automotivetouchup.com/
Image Image
SteveSolara
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby GzNutz » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:05 pm

Jack Soulfire wrote:That link is broken.

Sorry about that. I guess it timed out. Lkqonline has mirrors listed from $145-160 depending on condition. I didn't see any lunar mist metallic. For that price you might as well wait to find one in the correct color instead of having one painted.
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Black Bob » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:02 am

Yeah, forgot to mention it--I found a few websites with pre-painted mirrors for your Solara but none are in Lunar Mist. Not sure if this is a triple stage/special process to get it to match (which would be YET another glitch). As far as price, I'm came across a few websites with unfinished mirrors averaging around $160, dealer markup can go as high as $350s. Yikes! I think I'll shut up now, I don't think I'm helping here.
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SteveSolara » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:34 pm

Black Bob wrote:Yeah, forgot to mention it--I found a few websites with pre-painted mirrors for your Solara but none are in Lunar Mist. Not sure if this is a triple stage/special process to get it to match (which would be YET another glitch). As far as price, I'm came across a few websites with unfinished mirrors averaging around $160, dealer markup can go as high as $350s. Yikes! I think I'll shut up now, I don't think I'm helping here.

Any advice would help, but yeah the Lunar Mist paint if your gonna go buy it and paint on an unpainted mirror, it will be a Three stage paint ( Ground, Mid and the pearls, than Clear coat). So yeah you got many options here, so if your good at painting or not its prob gonna be about the same price if you buy it new with or without paint.
Image Image
SteveSolara
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Next

Return to Toyota Solara OEM