[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Broken Side Mirror (Gen 2)
Stock talk about Solara

Broken Side Mirror (Gen 2)

Re: Broken Side Mirror (Gen 2)

Postby 2KAVXLS » Tue May 01, 2012 4:48 am

Hey all! I know none of you know me, but I post on TN and I check here and read posts and what not. Anyways, I recently ran into this with my 2000 Avalon XLS when my wife decapitated the drivers mirror of my Avalon on a chain-link fence end post(luckily that was all she hit). I know it's not a Solara, but my experience could help you. I got on RockAuto and bought the correct aftermarket replacement for my car. Looks entirely identical to what it replaced. Look it up by application and it's listed under Body-Exterior Outside Door Mirror. The factory Lunar Mist is three stage, but the cans that you get by Dupli-Color at Advance that are their version of Lunar Mist come so close you'd barely notice. I'd bet most people couldn't tell a difference if they looked....if they stared for quite a while then maybe. Anyways....get yourself 1 can of that(store clerk can look it up for you since I don't have the can with me or I'd give you the PN. Also get a can of adhesion promoter for plastics, and a can of the automotive clear coat by Dupli-Color or go to an automotive paint supply shop and buy real clear with the appropriate hardener in the bottom of the can that you have to activate(it will look identical this way, but the Dupli-Color gets it real close especially if you lay it down good. Make sure to sand back the slick black finish on the mirror just to rough it up... don't use anything too abrasive on plastic as it will gouge(I used 2000 grit and make several light passes). Then clean it up with alcohol. Mask the portion that bolts to the car(black part) before sanding to avoid accidentally marking it with sandpaper. Mask up and then position the mirror portion so that you can paint all applicable area's that can be seen when normally looking at the mirror(looking at it you'll figure out where to position it in order to paint it without removing the mirror portion. Once that's done give it two or three coats of adhesion promoter and let that flash according to the directions on the can nothing too heavy or it will run. Then give it 4 coats of color getting progressively wetter each coat until the final is a wet coat, but not wet enough to run and let it flash according to the can(should use about half of the can on this), then on with the clear..I would do about 4 coats of clear just follow the instructions on the can for flash times. Don't breathe the fumes(wear a cheap mask), and paint in a well ventilated area preferably in a garage or somewhere that's not directly outside(keeps down on bug contamination), and cover anything that you don't want metal flake over-spray on because it will fly everywhere in the immediate area. Long post I know, but doing this myself I spent about $70.00 and the mirror looks so good that nobody would give it a second glance. Did it myself in about 3.5 hours or so and let it cure for a week before putting it on the car. If you lay down the clear right you won't have to wet sand the finish it will come out perfect. Also little tip(put all the paint cans in a pan of hot water and let them soak in the water until just prior to spraying. The paint goes on so smooth being warm(remember to wipe off the can before spraying anything from it though). This mirror has weathered the 1.5 years since the incident and it still looks as good today as it did the day I installed it. Here are a few pics, but it matches pretty well to the 12 year old factory paint.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope it will help you(or someone else) that may come across it and want to DIY this and save $$$

Jeff
2KAVXLS
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Jack Soulfire » Tue May 01, 2012 11:22 am

Thanks so much. I'm going to give this a shot asap and will post how it goes. The info and details are much appreciated.
2006 V6 Solara SE Sport
Jack Soulfire
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby 2KAVXLS » Tue May 01, 2012 2:43 pm

One thing I left out this morning was once you have it masked to your liking then clean it all up with alcohol(I put that in the wrong order the first go around)...I used alcohol wipes and they did a good job. Also masking the mirror portion may be a little hard(was on mine), but make sure the tape wraps around behind the mirror so that you don't paint the black portion of mirror trim silver...may have to give it a little help with a very small flat blade screwdriver or the like to get it done. Once you get it on the car after it's cured give it a good hand polish of wax and that's about it. As long as you lay the paint and clear down evenly it should turn out pretty nice!

Jeff
2KAVXLS
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby SteveSolara » Tue May 01, 2012 5:40 pm

2KAVXLS wrote:Hey all! I know none of you know me, but I post on TN and I check here and read posts and what not. Anyways, I recently ran into this with my 2000 Avalon XLS when my wife decapitated the drivers mirror of my Avalon on a chain-link fence end post(luckily that was all she hit). I know it's not a Solara, but my experience could help you. I got on RockAuto and bought the correct aftermarket replacement for my car. Looks entirely identical to what it replaced. Look it up by application and it's listed under Body-Exterior Outside Door Mirror. The factory Lunar Mist is three stage, but the cans that you get by Dupli-Color at Advance that are their version of Lunar Mist come so close you'd barely notice. I'd bet most people couldn't tell a difference if they looked....if they stared for quite a while then maybe. Anyways....get yourself 1 can of that(store clerk can look it up for you since I don't have the can with me or I'd give you the PN. Also get a can of adhesion promoter for plastics, and a can of the automotive clear coat by Dupli-Color or go to an automotive paint supply shop and buy real clear with the appropriate hardener in the bottom of the can that you have to activate(it will look identical this way, but the Dupli-Color gets it real close especially if you lay it down good. Make sure to sand back the slick black finish on the mirror just to rough it up... don't use anything too abrasive on plastic as it will gouge(I used 2000 grit and make several light passes). Then clean it up with alcohol. Mask the portion that bolts to the car(black part) before sanding to avoid accidentally marking it with sandpaper. Mask up and then position the mirror portion so that you can paint all applicable area's that can be seen when normally looking at the mirror(looking at it you'll figure out where to position it in order to paint it without removing the mirror portion. Once that's done give it two or three coats of adhesion promoter and let that flash according to the directions on the can nothing too heavy or it will run. Then give it 4 coats of color getting progressively wetter each coat until the final is a wet coat, but not wet enough to run and let it flash according to the can(should use about half of the can on this), then on with the clear..I would do about 4 coats of clear just follow the instructions on the can for flash times. Don't breathe the fumes(wear a cheap mask), and paint in a well ventilated area preferably in a garage or somewhere that's not directly outside(keeps down on bug contamination), and cover anything that you don't want metal flake over-spray on because it will fly everywhere in the immediate area. Long post I know, but doing this myself I spent about $70.00 and the mirror looks so good that nobody would give it a second glance. Did it myself in about 3.5 hours or so and let it cure for a week before putting it on the car. If you lay down the clear right you won't have to wet sand the finish it will come out perfect. Also little tip(put all the paint cans in a pan of hot water and let them soak in the water until just prior to spraying. The paint goes on so smooth being warm(remember to wipe off the can before spraying anything from it though). This mirror has weathered the 1.5 years since the incident and it still looks as good today as it did the day I installed it. Here are a few pics, but it matches pretty well to the 12 year old factory paint.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope it will help you(or someone else) that may come across it and want to DIY this and save $$$

Jeff

Very nice post, this would def help out alot for those who are looking to repair it themselves
Image Image
SteveSolara
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby GzNutz » Wed May 02, 2012 7:17 pm

That paint looks great. I may be doing eyelids on my Lara in the near future.
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Jack Soulfire » Sat May 19, 2012 8:22 am

Any tips on how to remove the door panel to replace the mirror?

I've got all of my supplies and am doing the paint work today.
2006 V6 Solara SE Sport
Jack Soulfire
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SteveSolara » Sat May 19, 2012 10:15 am

I believe around the door panel should be screws that you just take out and behind the interior door handle there should be a screw and maybe one on the hand rest, there should be another there. Than you just pry the door panel from the bottom and work your way up, Than you have to lift the whole door panel upwards, because it is hooked onto the ledge where the glass window is. Than unplug the wired behind the door panel. Finally just take off the plastic cover that is behind the mirror ( Triangular shape) and there should be 2 or 3 nuts that you have to take out ( i think its a 10mm) and you should be able to free the mirror with the wires.

Let me know you you have any trouble. If you do please take Pictures of where you are stuck and upload them so we get more of an idea where your stuck.

** I'm pretty sure that the Mirror has a rubber grommet or seal that you have to squeeze around to take it out of the hole.
Image Image
SteveSolara
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby 2KAVXLS » Sat May 19, 2012 10:10 pm

Basically exactly like Steve said, at least it was on my Avalon. AutoZone has Haynes guides available online for free for your car if you sign up for their free account. That's how I figured out how to remove the door panel on my car. It showed a step by step with illustration so that's another avenue if you get stuck.

Jeff
2KAVXLS
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby SteveSolara » Sun May 20, 2012 9:28 pm

def go with Jeff. He has more experience, on an Avalon. I am just going by knowledge LOL
Image Image
SteveSolara
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Jack Soulfire » Wed May 23, 2012 3:22 pm

All done! Thanks to everyone who posted and offered advice. You guys rock.

2006 V6 Solara SE Sport
Jack Soulfire
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby GzNutz » Wed May 23, 2012 3:46 pm

That turned out great!
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Jack Soulfire » Wed May 23, 2012 3:52 pm

The Dupli-Color replica paint for Toyota's Lunar Mist is spot on. All of the metallic sparkles look great and it matches perfectly. I just really took my time and pretty much did exactly what 2KAVXLS said in his post at the top of the page. Everything cost me under $100 and just took a couple of hours (mainly waiting for paint to dry in between coats).
2006 V6 Solara SE Sport
Jack Soulfire
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SteveSolara » Wed May 23, 2012 4:54 pm

Great Job, Saves you alot and best of all you have the experience. Great job!
Image Image
SteveSolara
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Previous

Return to Toyota Solara OEM