[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - *New MeM* idiling bad? What's wrong
Stock talk about Solara

*New MeM* idiling bad? What's wrong

*New MeM* idiling bad? What's wrong

Postby rachamoonwall » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:09 pm

I'm new to this forum first off, so forgive me if this has been answered in someone elses question about their car.

I'm also not a guy, lol not that it matters? I love my solara so that shouldn't matter right :)

Here's my question:

I'm pretty sure I got a half a tank of bad gas about 6-7 months ago. My car started idling rough any time I was in park or at a stop sign/light. The car use to run idle at 800-700 rpm, now it's right at 500-400rpm. My friend also started having problems with their car and had to have a fuel injector replaced. (They had a full tank of the same places gas the same day I filled half of mine) As soon as I started having problems I went to Napa and was told to add Sea foam to my gas tank next time I filled up and to add Premium gas to it. I did this, it maybe got a little better. I did it again a month later. It's been running fine, minus idle. It doesn't run as bad as it use to when it's idling, but something is still not right. I want to figure out what's wrong with it. My grandpa told me to go to Auto Zone and have them check my fuel sensor, etc. He thinks it might be that. I went there 2 times to 2 different Auto zones and neither place had a result showing it was a sensor. The last guy told me it's called a check engine light test that they are doing and that's the only test they do there. I have someone who can fix my car for free if I find out what the problem is, but I want to be for sure what's wrong. Anyone have an idea what's wrong? I have an 2003 Toyota Solara.

Thanks everyone,
Rachael
rachamoonwall
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: *New MeM* idiling bad? What's wrong

Postby ACProductions » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:43 pm

Get a tune up.

Spark Plugs, Wires, PCV Valve, Air Filter, Oil change, Seafoam down the INTAKE.
FREE CHILTON MANUAL

The speed at which a woman says "nothing" when you ask her what's wrong is inversely proportional to the size of the coming storm.

ACProductions
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby 1gSE » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:01 pm

^^ This.

But I'd go Seafoam, then oil change

Did they tell you any codes when they scanned it for the CEL (check engine light)
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Solarasian » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:20 am

welcome to solaraguy! well solaragirl in your case. haha
Auto SLE V6
6000k VVME Bi-Xenon
GReddy SP2 catback
injen SRI is2030p
Kaminari Lip Kit(stand by)
Tokico hp Struts
Tein S Tech
Solarasian
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby solara5 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:37 pm

Since your car seems to be fine at speed I would think the problem would be with the Idle Control Valve (ICV). I've experienced the same symptoms in other cars I've owned and each time the ICV was the culprit. I removed the ICV from the engine and found that there was a good amount of gunk in there that interfered with the operation. After cleaning all the crap out of the ICV and re-installation, the car idled perfect again. In some cases the gunk or corrosion could be really bad at which point you would have to replace the ICV altogether. Hopefully, this is the case for you since it's not a $$$ fix. Cheers!
...Big Japanese Luxo Coupe...
solara5
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to Toyota Solara OEM