[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Timing Belt Replacement: Buy parts online, take to mechanic?
Stock talk about Solara

Timing Belt Replacement: Buy parts online, take to mechanic?

Timing Belt Replacement: Buy parts online, take to mechanic?

Postby APSol04 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:11 pm

I have an 04' Solara V6, and I'd like to get the timing belt replaced (no problems, but I have ~120K miles, and I believe it is still the original; I'm not the 1st owner). I will also have the water pump replaced at that time. I have gotten some service quotes, ranging from $650-900, which seems a bit higher than some other members here have paid. I am in the central Ohio area.

I am thinking of buying a parts kit online, and then bringing the parts to the mechanic. Is this generally done or advised?

Are there some online suppliers any you have used and recommend? Some kits I've found:

[Is TBK a good brand?]:
http://www.amazon.com/Timing-Belt-Toyota-Solara-2004/dp/B0079MO42M/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1340139720&sr=8-6&keywords=toyota+solara+timing+belt

[ACDelco]:
http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-TCKWP257A-Professional-Timing-Component/dp/B004JB06W8/ref=au_pf_pfg_s?ie=UTF8&Make=Toyota%7C76&Model=Solara%7C1028&Year=2004%7C2004&carId=001&n=15684181&newCar=1&s=automotive&vehicleType=automotive

All thoughts & advice appreciated. Thanks........
APSol04
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Timing Belt Replacement: Buy parts online, take to mecha

Postby Black Bob » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:34 pm

The price quotes for parts and labor quoted from other Solaraguy members covers a wide gamut of prices, I've seen some quote $150 to well over a $1000. I can't remember exactly what I paid but I think with belt change and water pump plus labor cost me roughly between $250-$350, definitely not over $500. (Forgot to change the plugs out--doh!--but the added price still wouldn't have been what you're currently being quoted). And mine was done at a gas station mechanic. It took the mechanic and a helper to just a few hours in the morning and it was done. So, in a nutshell, I'd say shop around more (alot more) with independent mechanics.
Current: 2008 Brick Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Upgrade Pkg# 2
Previous: 2005 Arctic Frost Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Postby yaddadaimsayin » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:50 pm

I went to the dealership and asked them for a checklist for everything they do in a major checkup, then I bought everything directly from them and just took it all to a mechanic. I'll never cheap out on parts but its usually the labor that gets ya.

These mechanics usually have access to discounted prices on parts, but the only reason I did that was because I went to a chinese mechanic, and I didn't want no bootlegged parts! haha
l CP-e Intake l TRD Lowered/Exhaust/RSB l 20/5 Tints l Custom Grille l Alpine HU l Rocksford Amp l 2 10" JBL Subs l 6000k HID l Smoked 2.5 Tails l Satisfied Driver l
yaddadaimsayin
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Black Bob » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:22 am

APSol--Forgot to mention in my PM that it cost me less than $200 (found an old post of mine on the topic) but that didn't include spark plug change, but, again, still less than what you've been quoted.
Current: 2008 Brick Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Upgrade Pkg# 2
Previous: 2005 Arctic Frost Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Postby koenigturbo » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:52 am

some shops will not honor or install customers parts.
koenigturbo
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to Toyota Solara OEM