[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Small Leak
Stock talk about Solara

Small Leak

Small Leak

Postby RayRedSox » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:26 pm

I took my 1999 Solara in for basic servicing and my mechanic (who I have been going to for 10 years) noted a small leak in the valve cover gaskets. He said, nothing to worry about, but we'll keep an eye on it.

Is this something I could drive around with for a few months without any problem? I don't see any oil stains in my driveway and he said it was barely noticeable. I just don't want it to escalate into something really bad.

Thanks for your help!
RayRedSox
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Small Leak

Postby GzNutz » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:13 am

As long as you keep an eye on your oil level you should be fine. I think most get replaced when they're staining the driveway.
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby SteveSolara » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:21 am

Yea, it's nothing extreme at all. Its very common on the gen 1 Toyota solaras. I believe everyone with the Gen 1 has this problem and so do I. But of course, best to replace the head gasket and won't have to worry about it in the future, and of it getting worse.
Image Image
SteveSolara
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby RayRedSox » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:21 pm

Thanks for the replies; much appreciated!!!

Great web site, I'm glad I found it.
RayRedSox
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby dinoxor » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:41 pm

this topic has risen many times and can be recovered by using the search function!

but since this is your first post we'll let it slide!

However I'll just sum it all up to you based on what I learned
1) Depending on your trim, if you have an i4 replacing the gasket shouldn't be too hard
Conversely on our v6s, there is unfortunately a front and rear valve cover
if the front (the cover that is facing you once you opened the hood) is leaking then you're in luck since it is super easy to replace
however if the back ( the one facing your firewall) is leaking then good luck since that requires a removing a lot of parts in order to just gain access to it

2) Dealership quoted me at least $500 to get it fixed
a local repair shop quoted me approximately $280
HOWEVER, if you want to tackle this problem yourself then it will cost:
~$20 for the gasket at the dealership
$8 for the rtv sealant
$1.75 each for spare valve cover bolts at the dealership (these buggers snap REALLY easily)
optional $20 for Haynes Manual (HELPS A LOT)
and give yourself about 2-3 hours to thoroughly fix the issue

3) I've started a thread about a year ago when I first had the front valve cover leaking and have been driving for about a year with the leak
Honestly if you don't mind the oil dripping into your engine or your driveway then you should be fine
I occasionally checked my dip stick and at about 5,000 miles before my last oil change, my dip stick shows that I was lacking half my oil
so I believe that I was in good standing

The only reason why I change my gasket was because the leak was bothering me and for peace of mind

In conclusion, yes monitor your dip stick and if you don't mind the mess, then don't worry about it
but if you do decide to tackle this problem yourself, research and make sure you have a mechanically inclined buddy to help!

if you have any questions feel free to ask or pm me!

and welcome btw!
dinoxor
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby RayRedSox » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:05 am

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely use the search function before posting again. Much appreciated.
RayRedSox
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby DSM_Lara » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:17 pm

As we say in Hawaii "E Komo Mai" Image to Solaraguy.

Every car will leak oil eventually from the valve cover... It is common on every car to maintain and change gaskets, oil, belts, etc....
I did mines not to long ago because it hit 100k and it starting leaking due to the miles every since I owned it from 59K never had a problem. I just hated the smell of burning oil.
1999 Toyota Solara SE V6 (TRD Edition) Rare Greddy EvoII/CP-E Intake/Renova Grill/Black Housing Front/OEM Hood Deflector :kp: :spam3: :spam1:Musubi
DSM_Lara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Return to Toyota Solara OEM