[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Transmission Cable at Firewall
Stock talk about Solara

Transmission Cable at Firewall

Transmission Cable at Firewall

Postby hang3xc » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:36 pm

Hi
I have a 99 Solara. The transmission cable broke off at the tranny. Funny how such an expensive cable has ends made of plastic that routinely break ! Dealers price was $260 including tax. Got it for $174 including shipping online. Now I need to install it.

Anyway. I am completely stuck at the metal plate that is inside the car up against the firewall. I can't even reach it with my fingers, let alone get a socket on the bolts that I can't see or feel. There is a ginormous AC unit (so says the manual) that is completely in the way. Is there some way to get that metal plate off without raking my entire dashboard out??? Do I have to remove that ginormous AC unit??????? It connects to AC pipes under the hood. So I'd have to drain & recharge the AC/system???

Why did they A.) Make the ends so badly. I've never owned a car that ever broke the tranny cable in 30 years of driving (and I owned a lot of REALLY junky cars in my youth) and B.) Why did they put a plate where you can't get to it without totally dissecting your car. It seems the outside plate and grommet would be enough to keep the weather out

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to elaborate. Not looking forward to round 2 of this job tomorrow

Thanks,
Ron
hang3xc
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Transmission Cable at Firewall

Postby TxBmbleBee » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:07 pm

You do not need to take out the ac/heater box. When I did my transmission swap I was able to get that metal plate off but I think you need to do it from both sides of the firewall. My advice to you...find someone with really small hands and be patient. You may only be able to turn the screw a little at a time.
"i just wanna go fast..."
TxBmbleBee
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Gregtrd » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:42 am

You need to use a 10mm ratchet wrench, and its easier if you
Remove the airbag ecu, just be careful not to strip the torque bolts.
The Fastest Camry in Socal
366whp / 427wtq @10.5psi
Gregtrd
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby hang3xc » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:31 pm

Fixed, thanks.
For anyone needing to do this job, I went at it from the passenger side. I got the close bolt easy with a ratchet and the far one with an open end wrench , one quarter turn at a time. It wasn't easy, but it's done and works good. Now I need to start another thread because upon starting the car I got a brand new problem. This car has NOT been very good to me
hang3xc
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to Toyota Solara OEM