[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Weird engine smell
Stock talk about Solara

Weird engine smell

Weird engine smell

Postby wkbrdr91 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:58 am

Last night on my way home from Halloween Horror Nights (10 min drive) as I pulled into my neighborhood I could smell a weird smell coming from my engine bay. Smelled kinda sweet I guess I could describe it? I was driving fairly hard but nothing abusive to the car, and I had let it warm up first. I just recently hit 65k miles. I do oil changes (synthetic Mobil 1) every 4k-5k miles religiously.

I want to say it is my coolant needing to be replaced but I am not sure. Any advice?
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: Weird engine smell

Postby thenewguy » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:47 pm

When's the last time you've changed your transmission fluid? Thats the only thong i can think of when it comes to fluids that start to smell when it needs to change. But that would mean something is leaking. Check for signs of fluid trails? That would be the first thing i would do. Turn the car on, open the hood, and stand there and observe the bay. Check under the car for drop of fluids etc etc..
thenewguy
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby wkbrdr91 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:14 pm

thenewguy wrote:When's the last time you've changed your transmission fluid? Thats the only thong i can think of when it comes to fluids that start to smell when it needs to change. But that would mean something is leaking. Check for signs of fluid trails? That would be the first thing i would do. Turn the car on, open the hood, and stand there and observe the bay. Check under the car for drop of fluids etc etc..

I have never changed the transmission fluid, as Toyota said it is not necessary till 80k-100k miles and the car itself says not to change at all. None of my fluids are low (including tranny fluid). I will try observing dripping fluids though.
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby ToyoSolV6 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:09 pm

hows your power steering?
One of the few Built Forged Supercharged solaras in so cal
335whp x 344tq.
ToyoSolV6
Solaraguy's dopest driver
Solaraguy's dopest driver

Postby wkbrdr91 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:20 am

ToyoSolV6 wrote:hows your power steering?

Great, same as it has always been, fluid has never been low either.
2006 Solara Sport
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SolaraPete » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:41 pm

Usually a sweet smell is coolant.
'99 S/C'd 5spd: 6psi-KYB/Intrax-Kaminari-Renova- 2.5in w/TRD muffler-full Injen CAI w/crisp-mongo filter-Walbro 190-305cc-Jim's fuel-torque rod-8mm Magnecore-EGR delete-ACT 6-puck-AEM wideband-SAFC2-Supra/ES300 F+R brake conversion
SolaraPete
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby amabsolute » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:41 am

SolaraPete wrote:Usually a sweet smell is coolant.

X2
IMG]http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/qq306/amabsolute1/crap-1.jpg[/IMG]
amabsolute
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby wkbrdr91 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:01 pm

That's what I thought as well... I haven't smelled it since though. I plan on replacing all fluids soon.
2006 Solara Sport
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby yaddadaimsayin » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:00 pm

thenewguy wrote: Thats the only thong i can think of when it comes to fluids that start to smell

sick! :drinking:
l CP-e Intake l TRD Lowered/Exhaust/RSB l 20/5 Tints l Custom Grille l Alpine HU l Rocksford Amp l 2 10" JBL Subs l 6000k HID l Smoked 2.5 Tails l Satisfied Driver l
yaddadaimsayin
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby thenewguy » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:48 pm

Lol!
thenewguy
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Toyota Solara OEM