[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - wobble help...
Stock talk about Solara

wobble help...

wobble help...

Postby DavidGT650R » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:26 pm

Hey guys, first time poster....long time creeper ha. Anyway...So my wife has an 02 Solara. Ive been trying to figure out a wobble. It recently started a few months ago...Id say about 3 months ago. At about 60-75mph the car begins to wobble and recently it has gotten worse. Also when coming to a slow stop I can feel like....well it feels like the tires are catching....It feels just like the rotors are warped, however I dont see any issues with them, they look very smooth. The other night I took the front drivers wheel off and had a look under there(that was fun with the keyed lug) anyway i realised the ball joints on each side were crapped out. Boots were cracked and grease was leaking out, it looked fairly fresh. I went up to my work and bought 2 ball joints. I got one installed on the drivers side and I still need to do the pass side. Anyway...Im hoping that this saturday I can get the pass side on, it seems to take a while because that crown nut on the ball joint always strips. My father in law was trying to help me on the drivers side and while I was doing something else he ended up pulling the cv joint apart. The trans side of the boot was pulled off and leaked alot of fluid. I refilled as much as I could and put back togather with a hose clamp. Maybe thats my issue and I should just replace the cv shaft now. Anyway I just want to get this thread started incase that ball joint on the pass side doesnt help. Its still wobbling, and my wife said when she gets on the brakes hard it wobbles bad.
Is there anything else I should be looking for? Ive looked around in other posts but I cant find anything that quite seems to match well enough. Also I touched the rims after a test drive earlier and theyre damn hot on the front, like they will burn your hand if you leave it on there. Seems like a calipur could be catching but the wheel spins freely when I jack it up and spin it...I know my post seems like a big ramble and not well thrown togather...Im just real frazzled right now, I need to figure this out soon and Id like to buy parts that are going to fix it, and not just throw money at it....sorry guys if this seems like another repost of other problems, I just dont think its the same problem as everyone else.
Thank you for your time guys, I really appreciate any input
DavidGT650R
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: wobble help...

Postby thenewguy » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:24 am

I'd suggest replacing the blown out rubber joints and measure your rotors with a micrometer. They might not look warped however, a small variation with the rest of the rotor can make a big difference. Re-surfacing the rotors should do the trick. Or at least get rid of a lot of the shakes.

-Anthony
thenewguy
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby ToyoSolV6 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:51 am

get the rotors resurfaces, new pads, also if you feel as if it can have a sticking caliper. Jack the car up from the front or take it somewhere with a lift and have them run the car in the air and pump the brakes a few times to see if the wheel gets stuck. I had that happen to a customers explorer, came in with the same issue and as soon as we put it up in the air. The wheel would spin and out of nowhere just get stuck again, and then spin etc etc.

Let us know what happens when you get it looked at

Good luck!
One of the few Built Forged Supercharged solaras in so cal
335whp x 344tq.
ToyoSolV6
Solaraguy's dopest driver
Solaraguy's dopest driver

Postby Jahfalif1165 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:06 pm

I had the same problem when i first bought my solara
Replace the all rotors and brakes and see if calipers are good
And make sure to bleed the brake lines