[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - another request for tires suggestions
Stock talk about Solara

another request for tires suggestions

another request for tires suggestions

Postby keatingfee » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:28 am

Hey guys, in short i've been sick and stuck in bed for too long, glad to see the sites still here and some of the big OG's are still here.

my 99 Solara SLE with stock 15" wheels had fairly new tires but the dry rot fairy visited often. I have always had Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S which is what was on it when i bought it from my sister and i was lucky enough to have a smart sister who had purchased the ultimate warranty and so i got replacements just about every 2 years just for the price of shipping because they had a 3 year warranty and in New Orleans you dont go three years without a pothole or a nail, especially in the years after Katrina, our streets finally might be clean and up to par again because they gave the whole place a spit shine for the SuperBowl.

Question: I had been told that the Exalto A/S was the best tire for our car, best combination of comfort and grip....or maybe not just grip but handling in "sporty" driving, Is this still the case, yea i saw the thread just a couple before mine asking what tires to get but i wasnt sure if his setup or bigger wheels etc. made a big difference. I know there are many cheaper options and im wandering from all the SG vets what their input, It is a "daily driver" but it doesnt get driven every day, hopefully it will again one day but i'm in too much pain to really be driving around, that said when i can i absolutely love to take a drive on the expressway and then through the warehouse district to take my mind of the pain .

What do y'all go for when getting tires and what's the main reasoning?

I'd much rather spend half the money, but if the exalto A/S is the best all around, or like i've read theyre may be a set that is very similar but wears out in half the time mileage then i assume its better to just get the better set.

What i want: the best performing tires, i have no weather to worry about snow wise, just up to 100 degree heat and rain, i live in new orleans. If there's a better tire i'd be willing to sacrifice a little cushion for being glued to the road, in the rain is the only time i've ever felt they underperformed but that may be an old suspension needing work/replacement.

Sorry for the long post guys, and thanks in advance for any tips, glad to be in feeling well enough to get back to SG.
keatingfee
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: another request for tires suggestions

Postby Jahfalif1165 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:18 pm

I have continal run flats on mine. I bought them used fron a shop in long island ny. $200 mounted and balanced. The've been doing really good in tne rain and not so bad in the snow. When i pop the clutch they spin a few times and then they take off. In my opinion they grip really well. Also make sure that your struts are good cause thats what helps keep your car on the ground also. I recently replaced mine with the monroe quick struts and the car has been handeling perfectly.
Jahfalif1165
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to Toyota Solara OEM