[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Valve adjustment important?
Stock talk about Solara

Valve adjustment important?

Valve adjustment important?

Postby GregSolara » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:22 pm

Hey everyone. I have been hearing a ticking sound mostly when I idle, a little bit when I accelerate. I found out it's either the oil level is low or I need a valve adjustment and I just changed the oil and its full, so I am pretty sure I need an adjustment. I have an SLE V6 Solara and it's got 132,000 miles on it. The ticking sound is pretty annoying, not because of the actual sound itself, but mostly because it means my engine isn't as good as it could be lol. I have ocd when it comes to my car looking and performing it's best. Anyway, I looked at Precision Tune Auto Care and they got really good reviews. I got a quote at 500 bucks parts and labor included. I feel like that's really really high and I kinda don't wanna get it done. However, I don't know where else to go and I want a place where I know people will do a good job. I need the valve cover gaskets replaced too so I feel like this would be killing two birds with one stone. Should I get the adjustment done soon? Where should I go? How much should I pay? Thank you!!
GregSolara
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Valve adjustment important?

Postby Bostonlara » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:36 pm

You better hope its a valve adjustment. Unfortunately we have the shim on bucket setup. PITA to adjust. It's not as easy as other toyota s and you'll need to measure each and every clearance on every valve then do some math and buy the shims from the dealership.

I had a ticking noise and its turned out to be broken ring lands on 5 out of 6 of my pistons. But I drove the crap out my engine then supercharged it at 165k. Not a good idea.

Good luck and remember to do a compression check!
building a 5.5psi S/C 3MZ 5spd with Meth, 305cc injectors, lite weight crank pulley, Apexi Neo, full exhaust & ypipe, CAI, TB spacer, knock upgrade, jims fuel upgrade, walbro 255, and much much much much more
Bostonlara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Toyota Solara OEM