[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Engine Swap 1MZ
Stock talk about Solara

Engine Swap 1MZ

Engine Swap 1MZ

Postby hang3xc » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:38 am

Hi
My wifes engine seized yesterday, 99 Solara SLE, CA emissions. I called a local salvage yard and they had another one for only $400. The car had just came in after an being totallled in an accident. It has 103K on it. I thought that was an excellent price and probably worth getting and doing as my car is pretty nice and I've already replaced damn near everything in it.

Anyway, I have never done an engine swap before, though I seem to have done everything but that over the years. I could really use a checklist or instructions. Is there anywhere I could get that? Do anyone have such a list they could email me? Or any advice at all
Thanks
Ron
hang3xc
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Engine Swap 1MZ

Postby TadS » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:54 pm

Since it's just an R & R, there's not much too it. I would suggest doing the timing belt, water pump and all your front seals while it's out. I'd probably do the valve cover, plug tube seals, and oil pan gasket too. If it's a 1mz-fe, you can check for sludging when you have the valve cover off. Really, if there's a gasket or seal that's going to be a PIA when the engine is in the car: I'd replace it. I'd rather spend a $100 today on seals and gaskets, then spend a whole day replacing a leaking $5 crank seal next month.
Let's just pretend I didn't grow up, or you're going to be terribly disappointed.
TadS
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Return to Toyota Solara OEM