[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - repair 1999 Solara
Stock talk about Solara

repair 1999 Solara

repair 1999 Solara

Postby Gene so » Sat May 09, 2015 3:06 pm

Hello, I bought a 1999 Solara V6, 5 speed with all options a few years ago. I like this car and the combination of power, drivability and gas mileage make me think this is the best kept secret in the used auto market.
When we replaced the cam drive belt and water pump the mechanic told me the engine should easily last another 100,000 miles. Most of my driving is done with my 4x4 pickup, so this vehicle might last me a very long time.

I hit an Antelope early this morning and believe the insurance company will probably want to "total" the rig, due to its age. There is only damage to the plastic front, lights, hood; no structural. It drives as good as before.

I am determined to keep this vehicle. new paint would have been good for it anyway, here in the New Mexican sun at 6,500 feet. The leather interior shows front seat wear on the power seats and also wear to the steering wheel. A cover for the steering wheel seems simple. But what could be the best answer be for the worn leather seats? The rest of the interior is pristine. Is there an aftermarket answer for worn leather seats for my Solara that will not look "cheesy" when complete?

I'd appreciate any experienced answers so I can keep this great running rig on the road and keep it looking as good as possible.

Thank You,

Gene So
Gene so
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: repair 1999 Solara

Postby crankine3 » Mon May 11, 2015 7:55 am

If you have a black interior, the options are limitless for aftermarket seat covers, but unless you get a semi-custom with a snug fit, it can look "chessy". A tan interior is harder because there are 3,000 different types of tan out there. Decent semi-custom covers will range $75 to $200. Make sure you buy them from somewhere with a good return policy so you can ditch them if they look or fit bad.

My seats were really bad when I got my car, and it looked like edward scissorhands sat there. I decided to go with all new custom aftermarket covers with the best "tan" I could find, along with blue accents to match other interior detailing I am doing. But that route is at the cheapest $800.

One of the best and easiest routes is to buy used covers from junk yards and people parting out cars. Any one with a simple tool set and stiff wire cutters can take a seat cover off, and if you find one at a junk yard it will be much cheaper to take the cover off in the junk yard and pay for that, and not the whole chair. Note chairs with the electric controls have that extra panel on the side, some cars have the driver's lumbar support, and convertibles have an extra plastic piece near the shoulder. Other than the lumbar support and convert plastic thing, the top sections of the front seats are interchangable.
crankine3
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Toyota Solara OEM