[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Any uncertainty on the quality of DDM Tuning HID's?
All about aftermarket Toyota Solara upgrades

Any uncertainty on the quality of DDM Tuning HID's?

Re: Any uncertainty on the quality of DDM Tuning HID's?

Postby wkbrdr91 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:00 am

yaddadaimsayin wrote:less questions and more buyin!

It's ordered :)

55W 8000k lows
35W 6000k fogs
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby yaddadaimsayin » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:57 am

you're gonna love it man. it makes a huuuge difference.
l CP-e Intake l TRD Lowered/Exhaust/RSB l 20/5 Tints l Custom Grille l Alpine HU l Rocksford Amp l 2 10" JBL Subs l 6000k HID l Smoked 2.5 Tails l Satisfied Driver l
yaddadaimsayin
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby SoSleek » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:23 pm

wkbrdr91 wrote:
yaddadaimsayin wrote:less questions and more buyin!

It's ordered :)

55W 8000k lows
35W 6000k fogs

Exactly what I have...Sick color, and crazy light output. PM me is you have any questions on install...DON'T FORGET to buy 3M VHB tape to mount them. The mounting tape they come with is junk. They will fall off in no time. Also buy acetone to prep the side of the ballast you will be taping, and the area of the frame you are going to stick the ballast to. These steps will ensure that you wont have to redo them later on.
2004 Black Solara SE Sport - Minneapolis, MN
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby NewShockerGuy » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:46 am

First time on here and so glad I found this thread!

I have DDM tuning HIDS on my triumph daytona 675 and love the quaility so that is awesome!

I wanted to get HIDS for my fiance's 07' solara since the stock lighting is horrible.... I was going to go the route of ebay and by the toyota OEM hid headlights but at around $240 each and on top of that most have a broken tab or two I don't think I want to go that route...

anyone have an install guide on what is needed to do this for the solara?

Pics are also good if ya got them..lol

Are the projectors the same in the Toyota HID headlights as the halogen headlights or do they use a different projector and lense?

Thanks,
-Nigel
NewShockerGuy
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby dinoxor » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:36 am

yeah vhb tape makes one heck of a difference, you can pick one up at your local home depot!
dinoxor
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SoSleek » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:14 am

dinoxor wrote:yeah vhb tape makes one heck of a difference, you can pick one up at your local home depot!

yup it will be next to all the other tapes, adhesives, glues. Also the Acetone will be next to the paint department most likely. Next to lacquer thinner, paint thinner, alcohol, and all the other solvents.
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby NewShockerGuy » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:19 am

Did you guys do the squirell spotter mod as well.. I keep reading on toyota forums that this is needed to block out that stupid square that is amplified with HIDS.

Thanks,
-Nigel
NewShockerGuy
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby SoSleek » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:26 am

NewShockerGuy wrote:Did you guys do the squirell spotter mod as well.. I keep reading on toyota forums that this is needed to block out that stupid square that is amplified with HIDS.

Thanks,
-Nigel

Nope. IMO, not worth the work involved. I posted a photo of my spread, you can see there is some stray light but it's not bad.
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby NewShockerGuy » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:53 am

Your output looks good. I just installed HIDS in my girls 07' solara and the cut off looks like crap. I pushed downt he squirel spotters since I had the bumper and headlights off the car so looks like I will be doing this tomorrow again to see why it is what it is.. I might have to adjust the bulb to make sure that it's seated correctly...

here's a pic:

-Nigel
NewShockerGuy
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby SoSleek » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:26 am

Strange...I thought the 07's already had HID's.

wkbrdr91- Did you get yours in...and installed yet?
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby wkbrdr91 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:50 am

SoSleek wrote:Strange...I thought the 07's already had HID's.

wkbrdr91- Did you get yours in...and installed yet?

They're in, but due to my girlfriend who lives 1000 miles away being in town I only had time to install the lows

This (below) is my girlfriends house, not mine. we wouldn't have a minivan lol
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby DriDed » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:38 pm

^^those hids look great.

I want to get the hids but I am worried about blinding any drivers ahead of me in traffic.
2004 Toyota Solara SE (2az-fe) automatic
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
+Pioneer DEH 2200 UB headunit
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby dinoxor » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:07 pm

Don't worry about blinding others in traffic since the gen 2s have projectors already installed which gives it a really nice cutoff like in wkbrdr91's pics.

You would only need to worry about blinding others if you have stock housing like in gen 1s and 1.5s where we have regular reflector housing where everything is unfocused and the light pattern is blasting all over the place!
dinoxor
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby wkbrdr91 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:32 pm

dinoxor wrote:Don't worry about blinding others in traffic since the gen 2s have projectors already installed which gives it a really nice cutoff like in wkbrdr91's pics.

You would only need to worry about blinding others if you have stock housing like in gen 1s and 1.5s where we have regular reflector housing where everything is unfocused and the light pattern is blasting all over the place!

ya it doesn't blind anyone anymore than the stock lights do. but it is brighter for sure. I cant believe I waited so long for this mod! I'm excited to put the fogs in :)

I am also thinking about getting the HID highs... as sosleek said, the highs don't do much anymore because the HID light output goes so far.
2006 Solara Sport
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SoSleek » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:37 pm

wkbrdr91- How about the color...what do you think? You got the 55w 8000k's for lows right?
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

PreviousNext

Return to Aftermarket Upgrades