[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Any uncertainty on the quality of DDM Tuning HID's?
All about aftermarket Toyota Solara upgrades

Any uncertainty on the quality of DDM Tuning HID's?

Re: Any uncertainty on the quality of DDM Tuning HID's?

Postby DriDed » Tue May 31, 2011 10:54 am

I picked up the DDM HIDs today at the post office, I am gonna research on how to install it, if not then I will ask my friend to help me out.

The lights will go on tomorrow morning or afternoon before trips because I wanna work on the car while it is not all warmed up.
2004 Toyota Solara SE (2az-fe) automatic
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
+Pioneer DEH 2200 UB headunit
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby yaddadaimsayin » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:38 pm

One of my ballasts went out 2 days ago so I figured I'd just pick up a new set of HIDs.

DDM sounds like it's good quality, but then I figured since VVME has worked solidly for 2 years, I might as well go with them again, even if it's a few bucks more. Also, DDM has a habit of lagging in shipping, whereas I got my VVME HIDs shipped from China to my house in 3 days.

This time around, I decided to go with the Digital Slim Ballast. At first, just from reading the DDM website, I thought Slim Ballast just meant it was thinner, but I found this link on the VVME site that compares the different kinds of HIDs so I thought I'd share, for anyone who is thinking about getting HIDs and doesn't know much about em:

http://www.vvme.com/page.html?chapter=1&id=33
l CP-e Intake l TRD Lowered/Exhaust/RSB l 20/5 Tints l Custom Grille l Alpine HU l Rocksford Amp l 2 10" JBL Subs l 6000k HID l Smoked 2.5 Tails l Satisfied Driver l
yaddadaimsayin
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby wkbrdr91 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:52 pm

The slim is also considered to be higher quality I beleive. Still loving mine :) youll need the thing that pulls power from the battery directly though (completely blanking the name for it). Also, DDM has a lifetime warranty.
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby yaddadaimsayin » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:02 pm

a relay kit? I didn't need it for my last HIDs, why would this one require it?
l CP-e Intake l TRD Lowered/Exhaust/RSB l 20/5 Tints l Custom Grille l Alpine HU l Rocksford Amp l 2 10" JBL Subs l 6000k HID l Smoked 2.5 Tails l Satisfied Driver l
yaddadaimsayin
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby wkbrdr91 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:45 pm

Ya a relay, mine needed it (without it, it took 3 tries to get the left bulb to stay on), but I got a 55W kit.
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SoSleek » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:47 am

Mine DDM's fire everytime without the relay. wkbrdr, did you ever send yours in for replacement? I wonder if there is something wrong/defective with your kit?
2004 Black Solara SE Sport - Minneapolis, MN
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby wkbrdr91 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:11 am

SoSleek wrote:Mine DDM's fire everytime without the relay. wkbrdr, did you ever send yours in for replacement? I wonder if there is something wrong/defective with your kit?

Didn't send it in, they turn on fine with the relay, as long as the car is off lol
2006 Solara Sport
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby wkbrdr91 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:15 pm

I thought I'd post this for anyone considering the DDM slim ballast kit, or HID's in general.

I have 55W 8000k lows and 35W 6000k fog lights. Both DDM slim ballast kit. The lows are on a relay. White Solara (stock lights) is my step-mom's.
2006 Solara Sport
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby DriDed » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:50 pm

Also, here is a nice close-up picture of my car with 35W 6000K DDM slim ballast headlights:

I haven't got the chance to fix the fog lights, I plan to do that later this year or next year.
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby DriDed » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:20 pm

My Solara's setup is DDM slim ballast 35w 6000k for the low beams and fog lights, their reliability has been awesome (once I got them all working right as of 12/2012). :D

I had an issue with the fog light hids a while back (kept blowing fuses), so I connected a relay ($15) that I bought from DDM's website to just one of the fog lights and that fixed the problem (no more blowing fuses).

The 35W 6000K low beams/fogs combo significantly increases night time/poor weather visibility over stock, and they cost very little (I got them at like $45 usd each ($90 total for low beams and fog hids).

Here are some nice photos of my car with the DDM 35W 6000K low beam headlight/ fog light turned on:

+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby DriDed » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:28 pm

This video shows an interior and exterior view of the DDM slim ballast 35W 6000K low beam and fogs:
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby wkbrdr91 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:09 am

Just thought I should post this here, one of my DDM bulbs went out. When I turn it on it just flickers then shuts back off. This will be a great test on DDM's lifetime warranty. I have sent the bulb in for testing and should hear back this week. For now I am riding around with one stock bulb.

2006 Solara Sport
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby DriDed » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:26 pm

^^Did you get yours fixed yet?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The HIDs are working good so far for me, hopefully they won't go out anytime soon.

+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby wkbrdr91 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:41 pm

I took a while to get the HID's sent because of work/school. Finally got it sent and shipped, DDM apparently emailed a path I have stopped using when they went to confirm my shipping address; so all these delays are on me. I called DDM to see what was up and found this out, they felt bad and expedited the whole process. Couldn't be happier with them. Just gotta wait for the bulb to ship to me.
2006 Solara Sport
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby DriDed » Wed May 08, 2013 8:39 pm

I am gonna repost an earlier post of mine since my old photos were deleted:

My Solara's setup is DDM slim ballast 35w 6000k for the low beams and fog lights, their reliability has been awesome (once I got them all working right as of 12/2012).

I had an issue with the fog light hids a while back (kept blowing fuses), so I connected a relay ($15) that I bought from DDM's website to just one of the fog lights and that fixed the problem (no more blowing fuses).

The 35W 6000K low beams/fogs combo significantly increases night time/poor weather visibility over stock, and they cost very little (I got them at like $45 usd each ($90 total for low beams and fog hids).

Here are some nice photos of my car with the DDM 35W 6000K low beam headlight/ fog light turned on:

+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Previous

Return to Aftermarket Upgrades