[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Any uncertainty on the quality of DDM Tuning HID's?
All about aftermarket Toyota Solara upgrades

Any uncertainty on the quality of DDM Tuning HID's?

Re: Any uncertainty on the quality of DDM Tuning HID's?

Postby wkbrdr91 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:06 pm

SoSleek wrote:wkbrdr91- How about the color...what do you think? You got the 55w 8000k's for lows right?

Correct, the color is perfect :D

Thanks for guiding me in the right direction!

One issue... every once in a while the left (not both) headlight flicks on then instantly off again (while turning on) and i have to click them off then back on again for it to turn on and stay.
Is that worth sending it in for?
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SoSleek » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:35 pm

wkbrdr91 wrote:
SoSleek wrote:wkbrdr91- How about the color...what do you think? You got the 55w 8000k's for lows right?

One issue... every once in a while the left (not both) headlight flicks on then instantly off again (while turning on) and i have to click them off then back on again for it to turn on and stay.

In short...no. You may need a capacitor. Which basically smooths the power and stores any excessive power, which it then supplies in case of a voltage drop. My kit did the same thing for the first 2 weeks or so (probably 6-8 times over the 2 weeks) but must have evened itself out (probably in the ECU) over time. It's never happened since. If yours doesn't correct itself and you have to continue to shut the lights off then back on then let me know and I will show you how to wire a capacitor inline to take care of the problem.
2004 Black Solara SE Sport - Minneapolis, MN
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby dinoxor » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:27 pm

wkbrdr91 wrote:

Yeah not worth sending in. Mine does that too when I turned on my headlights with the engine off, but once the engine is on there isn't any flicker!
dinoxor
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby wkbrdr91 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:57 am

SoSleek wrote:
wkbrdr91 wrote:

In short...no. You may need a capacitor. Which basically smooths the power and stores any excessive power, which it then supplies in case of a voltage drop. My kit did the same thing for the first 2 weeks or so (probably 6-8 times over the 2 weeks) but must have evened itself out (probably in the ECU) over time. It's never happened since. If yours doesn't correct itself and you have to continue to shut the lights off then back on then let me know and I will show you how to wire a capacitor inline to take care of the problem.

I am still having the same issue. Happens regardless if the car is running or not. Luckily it only seems to have issues when im alone, never had a problem with it when im showing it off to a friend lol.

Would this help or is it not the issue?
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/HID-K ... ng-Harness

Also, if the lights have been on recently they work just fine. Its when they are "cold" or not been on for a few hours that i get any issue.
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby DriDed » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:52 pm

wkbrdr91 wrote:
SoSleek wrote:
wkbrdr91 wrote:

I am still having the same issue. Happens regardless if the car is running or not. Luckily it only seems to have issues when im alone, never had a problem with it when im showing it off to a friend lol.

Would this help or is it not the issue?
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/HID-K ... ng-Harness

Also, if the lights have been on recently they work just fine. Its when they are "cold" or not been on for a few hours that i get any issue.

Did you try contacting the website that sold you your HIDs about this issue? Do it, maybe they can help you out.
2004 Toyota Solara SE (2az-fe) automatic
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
+Pioneer DEH 2200 UB headunit
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby wkbrdr91 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:41 pm

Id like to know SoSleeks solution first. I should note that it is only my low beams that have this issue, my fogs turn on no problem (lows= 55W fogs=35W). and problem has only gotten worse since installing the HID fogs
2006 Solara Sport
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SoSleek » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:40 pm

The relay kit will not help. Relay kits are made to supply power through larger wire, directly from the battery. They are mainly for older vehicles that do not use big enough wire in the factory harness to supply the current needed to power HID's. Our cars do not have this problem.

Tools you will need:
Wire Strippers
Razor
Soldering Iron
Permanent Marker or Pen

Materials you will need:
(2) H11 Male to Female Pig Tails (Part Number: PGJ19-2, about 1/4 down the page)
(2) 4700µF 35v Capacitor (Radio Shack stores stock these)
Electrical Tape (Self Amalgamating Tape is recommended, which bonds to itself making a better seal)
Solder

The photo below shows an example of a similar finished product (before being taped). Use the photo as a reference while following the directions below.

**During the following steps, be sure that the Capacitor leads and the Pig Tail wires DO NOT TOUCH POSITIVE TO NEGATIVE**

How-to:
1. Remove wire loom from pigtails to expose negative and positive wires
2. Separate wires enough to lay capacitor in between like shown in the photo above
3. Bend the Capacitor leads as shown in the photo.
4. Lay the Capacitor in between the positive and negative wire of the pigtail with the arrows on the capacitor pointing towards the male plug. Also make sure the lead that the arrows points to will be connected to the negative wire on the pigtail and that the opposite lead on the capacitor will be connected to the positive wire.
5. Use marker or pen to mark the positive and negative wires where the leads will be soldered.
6. Use Wire Strippers and Razor to remove the wire casing in the areas of the wires that you marked.
7. Solder the Capacitor in place
8. Electrical Tape both of the areas that you soldered, also covering the ends of the capacitor.

You're Finished!

Now take this product and plug the female end into your stock headlight plug and the male end into the ballast. Fire it up, and hope you don't hear a loud pop. A loud pop would indicate that you wired the capacitor backwards to how it was described in this How-To. Good luck and let me know how it works for you.
2004 Black Solara SE Sport - Minneapolis, MN
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby dinoxor » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:41 am

this should be in the diy section! great write up!
dinoxor
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby supraguy17 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:26 pm

just got some last night, 55w 10000k! Impatiently waiting for them to get here haha
1998 Mistsubishi Eclipse GS-T: Too many mods to list.
supraguy17
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby DriDed » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:32 pm

supraguy17 wrote:just got some last night, 55w 10000k! Impatiently waiting for them to get here haha

Are those lights for your Porsche, Supra, or Solara? 8)
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby supraguy17 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:41 pm

There for the Solara :lol:
supraguy17
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby mig0s » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:11 pm

^^55w 10k should look really good. I wanted a little blue in my hid's so I was going to go with the 6000k but since I took the 55w, I bought the 8000k instead and they are just plain white. Post some pics when it's done!
1999 V6 5-Speed... so beautiful :' )
Black housing headlights, corner. 55w 6k HID, 2500k fogs, TWM Short Shifter+weighted knob, Tein+KYB, TRD lip kit + Acura CL type-S front lip. TSW Kyalami 18x8. Cutom 2.5" SS free flow muffler.
mig0s
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby supraguy17 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:24 pm

Should be here tomorrow around 4pm, and I will!
supraguy17
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby DriDed » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:02 am

I plan to get just the HID low beams and they will be 35w 6000K, would the car look weird with hid low beams and stock halogen fog lights?
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby DSM_Lara » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:28 pm

DriDed wrote:I plan to get just the HID low beams and they will be 35w 6000K, would the car look weird with hid low beams and stock halogen fog lights?

No it won't be weird because I don't think your gonna run your HID with the high beams on...
1999 Toyota Solara SE V6 (TRD Edition) Rare Greddy EvoII/CP-E Intake/Renova Grill/Black Housing Front/OEM Hood Deflector :kp: :spam3: :spam1:Musubi
DSM_Lara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

PreviousNext

Return to Aftermarket Upgrades