[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Painting Brake Calipers
All about aftermarket Toyota Solara upgrades

Painting Brake Calipers

Painting Brake Calipers

Postby wkbrdr91 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:23 pm

I know I have it in my sig that I have painted calipers... but I did that the morning that I went to actually do it (in anticipation), but something came up (don't remember exactly what), and I didn't get around to it. Well now I am on Christmas break, and have time :D
Also my dad is going to be in the hospital for a hip replacement (due to getting T-boned by a lifted Avalanche with a grill guard), so I will be able to use his Yukon while the calipers dry.

I have never done anything like this, any tips? Do I need to take off my calipers or just wheels? The kit I have comes with a cleaner for the caliper, as well as paint that uses a brush (not spray can). Its a whole brake caliper paint kit that I bought at advanced auto for like 20 bucks.
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: Painting Brake Calipers

Postby mig0s » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:55 pm

In your case you MUST take off the calipers. But if you got anything in a spray can form you can keep your calipers on. BTW, what color you going for?
1999 V6 5-Speed... so beautiful :' )
Black housing headlights, corner. 55w 6k HID, 2500k fogs, TWM Short Shifter+weighted knob, Tein+KYB, TRD lip kit + Acura CL type-S front lip. TSW Kyalami 18x8. Cutom 2.5" SS free flow muffler.
mig0s
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby DSM_Lara » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:05 am

Hot PINK!!!
1999 Toyota Solara SE V6 (TRD Edition) Rare Greddy EvoII/CP-E Intake/Renova Grill/Black Housing Front/OEM Hood Deflector :kp: :spam3: :spam1:Musubi
DSM_Lara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby wkbrdr91 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:58 am

I was hoping the fact that it was a brush meant I COULD keep my calipers on :( Is there anything on here explaining how to do that?

I got red, in my opinion it looks tacky to do anything else unless its matching the car color.
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby mig0s » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:20 am

Maybe you could return the brush paint and get some sprays. Then you can do this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3mhq_BrnU0

Personally, I will not get red calipers for my car since everybody's doing it. I think I'll go with bright yellow. I think it mixes well with a shiny black car. Or any shiny car:

1999 V6 5-Speed... so beautiful :' )
Black housing headlights, corner. 55w 6k HID, 2500k fogs, TWM Short Shifter+weighted knob, Tein+KYB, TRD lip kit + Acura CL type-S front lip. TSW Kyalami 18x8. Cutom 2.5" SS free flow muffler.
mig0s
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby DriDed » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:41 am

Here is a tutorial on painting calipers, it would be best if you take the calipers off of the car to paint them:

^That video shows how to paint the brake calipers without taking it off if you want to do it that way.

I hope this helps; sorry I couldn't actually help out more but I haven't done this before myself.
2004 Toyota Solara SE (2az-fe) automatic
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
+Pioneer DEH 2200 UB headunit
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby wkbrdr91 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:34 am

The yellow looks pretty good.. I just can't picture it on my car. I had once considered green or blue (green to match the stock interior lights on dashboard, blue to match my interior neons) but thought it looked rice.
2006 Solara Sport
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby DriDed » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:39 am

I am considering going with black paint on my Solara's brake calipers, but my dad says it will look too stock; But thats what I want to do.

This thread inspired me to repaint the calipers to black. :D
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby DSM_Lara » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:02 pm

Brembo Gold or Bronze
1999 Toyota Solara SE V6 (TRD Edition) Rare Greddy EvoII/CP-E Intake/Renova Grill/Black Housing Front/OEM Hood Deflector :kp: :spam3: :spam1:Musubi
DSM_Lara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby wkbrdr91 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:14 pm

DriDed wrote:I am considering going with black paint on my Solara's brake calipers, but my dad says it will look too stock; But thats what I want to do.

This thread inspired me to repaint the calipers to black. :D

Black wont even be worth your time.. only you will notice it, if even that.
2006 Solara Sport
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby DriDed » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:50 am

^^Yea, well I got red also so I will pick that then haha.

How is your painting of the calipers going?
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby wkbrdr91 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:31 pm

DriDed wrote:^^Yea, well I got red also so I will pick that then haha.

Haven't started... my dad doesn't want me doing it while hes not there... I think hes forgetting the car is in my name now lol.
2006 Solara Sport
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby DriDed » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:52 pm

wkbrdr91 wrote:
DriDed wrote:^^Yea, well I got red also so I will pick that then haha.

Haven't started... my dad doesn't want me doing it while hes not there... I think hes forgetting the car is in my name now lol.

He knows the car is yours, he just doesn't want you to paint the car red lol...

I kid I kid.
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Return to Aftermarket Upgrades