[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - HID Problem
All about aftermarket Toyota Solara upgrades

HID Problem

HID Problem

Postby wkbrdr91 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:45 am

Hey guys, after my dad saw my HIDs on my Solara, he ordered some for his yukon, but DDM no longer had the slim ballast kit, and ordered the Apexcone Raptor V2 kit. His driver side HID light (not sure about right, he says it does the same thing but a lot less) looks like there is a very small strobe light inside of it... the light is not fully going on and off, but there is a extremely fast flicker to it, like it gets brighter then back to normal very fast.

I tried to capture it on video, I think the easiest part to see it is at the end. Also revved it up just a tad.. the exhaust on his truck is amazing.. though the iPhone didn't seem to capture it that well, but hes also got a GM performance CAI.

Note: When it dims or gets brighter, that is just me playing with the auto-focus/brightness settings on my iPhone 4.

HD link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reRYyJjGBxg&hd=1

2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: HID Problem

Postby wkbrdr91 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:09 pm

I pulled the car out to look more closely at the problem.. it appears that the light is shaking up and down almost.. doesn't capture in video too well, would need a high speed camera to really see, but here's a video of it with the truck pulled back a bit.. the iPhone changed the color of the light cause of the house color.. so it looks like a halogen but its really an 8000K 55W HID.

2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby dinoxor » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:35 pm

maybe theres a mini rave party in there?
It could be the engine thats causing the vibration right?

I'm beat but I think you should visit a yukon forum to see if someone has a similar problem.
dinoxor
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Projex0 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:09 pm

its obviously a power problem if its going dim then bright etc.. try a relay kit that way its getting the juice it needs to stay at a constant voltage
Projex0
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby wkbrdr91 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:37 pm

Projex0 wrote:its obviously a power problem if its going dim then bright etc.. try a relay kit that way its getting the juice it needs to stay at a constant voltage

It has what I believe to be a relay kit. Gets power from the battery, connect to the cars stock light thing just so it knows if it should be on or not. Its flickering/shaking way too fast to be from the engine but I will make sure that's not it in the morning.
2006 Solara Sport
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Projex0 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:21 pm

does he have a sound system in there? yea just look over the entire wiring if it looks good then the it could be the Hid kit(bulb and ballast) is a bad or going bad. just my guess
Projex0
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby wkbrdr91 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:15 pm

Projex0 wrote:does he have a sound system in there? yea just look over the entire wiring if it looks good then the it could be the Hid kit(bulb and ballast) is a bad or going bad. just my guess

Its got the Bose system, but no subs (yet, they're sitting in garage waiting to be installed, 2 10's), but the stereo wasn't on anyways. My dads going to double check the wiring then call DDM and see if they know.
2006 Solara Sport
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby 99BlackSandv6 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:30 am

It looks like a ground issue. Where do you have the kit grounded?
Make sure that connection is solid, and good metal to metal contact.
Trust me, I'm a technician.
99BlackSandv6
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby wkbrdr91 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:45 pm

99BlackSandv6 wrote:It looks like a ground issue. Where do you have the kit grounded?
Make sure that connection is solid, and good metal to metal contact.

I forget where he grounded it, but he knows what hes doing with that type of stuff. I told him to try grounding it somewhere else anyways.

Back when he had the time to really mess with cars (high school/college) one of the things he did to his first car (GTO) was set it up so he could control all his lights completely, make the reverse lights turn on even if hes not in reverse, make the brake lights come on when hes not braking... or the opposite. He also wired undercover cop lights in it. He also got it an emron paint job, straight pipe exhaust, port and polish, rims, extremely nice sound system and a lot more.

He inherited 10k when he was 16 and used it to do all those mods... which is why he paid for my rims, subs, and intake.. he understood what its like to want to mod a car.
2006 Solara Sport
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby 99BlackSandv6 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:05 pm

That sounds like a nice GTO. :o

I've got a buddy with HIDs in his GMC. He had his stuff grounded to his core support.
It was unreliable until he hooked up a heavy gauge jumper from the (-) on his battery
to the core support, and between the two points his HIDs ground to. Now, he never has
a problem, and they're actually noticeably brighter. Just sayin' if he grounded to the chassis
he could get a better ground. Or it could be something else.
99BlackSandv6
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby wkbrdr91 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:12 pm

99BlackSandv6 wrote:That sounds like a nice GTO. :o

I've got a buddy with HIDs in his GMC. He had his stuff grounded to his core support.
It was unreliable until he hooked up a heavy gauge jumper from the (-) on his battery
to the core support, and between the two points his HIDs ground to. Now, he never has
a problem, and they're actually noticeably brighter. Just sayin' if he grounded to the chassis
he could get a better ground. Or it could be something else.

Ya he really regrets selling it. The sad thing is, a week after selling it, the new owner got drunk and drove it off a cliff type thing onto a local fire department building. My dad snuck into the junkyard and was able to take the shifter ball off of it for memorys.

So basically your saying to connect the battery ground terminal to the chassis? Could he just ground the HIDs to the battery directly then?
2006 Solara Sport
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby 99BlackSandv6 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:44 pm

Yeah, direct to the battery is best.
99BlackSandv6
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Mole » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:15 pm

i say bad bulb.
the power of 8
Mole
molerator
molerator

Postby wkbrdr91 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:43 pm

He grounded direct to battery and ordered the error eliminator that the sites FAQ said would work.. still the same problem. Hes going to order HID fogs so ill have him contact them about replacing his set he has now too.
2006 Solara Sport
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby 99BlackSandv6 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:33 am

Well it must be a weak ballast then. The same thing happens with fluorescent lights in homes etc.
The ballast goes weak and the light flicker.
99BlackSandv6
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Return to Aftermarket Upgrades