[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Lowering suggestions
All about aftermarket Toyota Solara upgrades

Lowering suggestions

Lowering suggestions

Postby wkbrdr91 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:06 am

Well, I went to sleep this morning with my checking account looking similar to the PSI I put in my tires, and woke up with it looking more like a phone number (ok maybe not THAT much lol)... so I'm gonna get lowered more than what the sport model comes like and get a new MacBook pro when the updated models come out (supposedly being announced today) as they're a bit underpowered right now :D

So which should I go with? I initially assumed I'd go TRD, but DriDed suggested Tein as it lowers your car by about 2 inches compared to less than an inch with TRD.
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: Lowering suggestions

Postby DriDed » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:15 am

Eibach and TRD lowering springs for our gen 2 Solara are the same, HnR is another brand that makes our car's lowering springs, but I really think Tein S tech will offer the best bang of the buck.

Tein S Tech is not even the most expensive one out there, it is actually one of the lowest priced lowering springs available for our gen 2.
2004 Toyota Solara SE (2az-fe) automatic
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
+Pioneer DEH 2200 UB headunit
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby yaddadaimsayin » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:45 am

can't go wrong with parts made for our cars. TRD offers a good drop (I don't know where "less than an inch" came from). I'm personally on thinking of going the coilover route soon. If your bank account resembles a phone number (lucky guy!) might as well go all out.
l CP-e Intake l TRD Lowered/Exhaust/RSB l 20/5 Tints l Custom Grille l Alpine HU l Rocksford Amp l 2 10" JBL Subs l 6000k HID l Smoked 2.5 Tails l Satisfied Driver l
yaddadaimsayin
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby DriDed » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:35 pm

yaddadaimsayin wrote:can't go wrong with parts made for our cars. TRD offers a good drop (I don't know where "less than an inch" came from). I'm personally on thinking of going the coilover route soon. If your bank account resembles a phone number (lucky guy!) might as well go all out.

TRD lowering springs lowers the Solara 0.5" front and 1.5" rear.

Tein lowering springs lowers the Solara 2.0" front and 1.9" rear.

Both are about the same price but I have seen slightly lower prices for Tein springs.

http://www.trdracing.com/solara/index.htm
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby kingkakyle » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:06 pm

im pretty sure my front got lowered more than 1/2 inch
def more in the rear though
kingkakyle
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby DriDed » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:59 pm

I got my info from websites that sells the springs, I think the companies measures the heights before the springs break in; that could be one reason why the numbers are kinda off.
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby wkbrdr91 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:18 pm

King: can i see some pics? You happy with it?

Its not quite a phone number, shoulda said zip code but I couldnt think of a 4 digit typical number at the time haha, but I got 6k... so price isnt a HUGE deal.. Im letting myself do one mod to the solara and get a macbook pro (cant decide whether to go 13 or 15 inch... the macbook pros just got upgraded today)
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby GzNutz » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:10 pm

Go with coilovers.
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby wkbrdr91 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:04 pm

GzNutz wrote:Go with coilovers.

I dont know too much about suspension. But I know i have KYB GR2 struts... im not sure what exactly coilovers are?
2006 Solara Sport
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby DriDed » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:31 pm

TEIN Super Street Coilovers cost $1400 USD, but they are height adjustable so that is an advantage.

Kit number: DSL68-KUSS2

http://www.tein.com/products/super_street.html
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby kingkakyle » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:51 pm

get the 15" mbp lol
13 might be a bit too small

ill get u some pics later, i like it
but ride quality definately isn't what it used to be and it'll be like that regardless of what springs u get
coilovers will be more so i think
kingkakyle
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby wkbrdr91 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:04 pm

kingkakyle wrote:get the 15" mbp lol
13 might be a bit too small

ill get u some pics later, i like it
but ride quality definately isn't what it used to be and it'll be like that regardless of what springs u get
coilovers will be more so i think

Hmm.. I wish there was a lowered gen 2 nearby to compare to. Im not sure how much id actually care. Ive driven so many different cars in high school (Parents have always had alot of cars, and I regularly drove 10 different cars: 1980 Corvette, My solara, solara convertible, 03 yukon, 08 yukon, 08 pathfinder, 08 CTS, 08 Jeep Grand Cherokee, DeLorean, 03 Intrepid). My girlfriend may miss the ride quality, next year we will be sharing the car as shes transferring to my school but cant live in the dorms im in, so ill let her take my car at night since shes the morning person, she wants to come over to wake me up and stuff. Would the TRD be better ride than Tein? I already have the Sport suspension of course... so it is stiffer than a normal Solara.

But Im not ready to spend that much on coilovers.. Just wanted a fun little cheap upgrade... I cant handle my car NOT being constantly improved lol

My girlfriend LOVES her 13".. but I think shes pushing it on me cause she doesnt want me to burn through the money. My uncle (a computer programmer, owns his own company) is pushing me to get the 15 like its a moral decision lol.
2006 Solara Sport
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby kingkakyle » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:26 am

i just mentioned ride quality just in case but it doesn't bother me much
only thing is on long trips it does get a bit tiring, but i love the handling improvement
also when i have a full car i cant go up/down a lot of driveways without scraping the back or exhaust lol
but im in la, so its probably different conditions

and i may not have a macbook, but i have a 14" laptop and think its the perfect size
also i think the keyboard on the 15" mbp is normal size, the 13" might have a slightly smaller keyboard,
so even though its only slightly smaller, when i type fast i tend to get more typos
kingkakyle
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby yaddadaimsayin » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:00 pm

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showt ... p?t=373355

just posted yesterday. looks like there already some interest on it, might have to hop on it quick.
l CP-e Intake l TRD Lowered/Exhaust/RSB l 20/5 Tints l Custom Grille l Alpine HU l Rocksford Amp l 2 10" JBL Subs l 6000k HID l Smoked 2.5 Tails l Satisfied Driver l
yaddadaimsayin
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Projex0 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:34 pm

you can check out k-sport coilovers and see what price kenny can get them for

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=50046
Projex0
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Next

Return to Aftermarket Upgrades