[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - 2az-fe with OBX headers and stock exhaust?
All about aftermarket Toyota Solara upgrades

2az-fe with OBX headers and stock exhaust?

2az-fe with OBX headers and stock exhaust?

Postby wkbrdr91 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:56 pm

So, instead of dropping the car on TRD springs, I am considering getting headers instead. Many people get an exhaust with their headers, but I don't have the money.
Would it sound ok to just have my Injen intake with the OBX headers?

Here's the headers I'm looking at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-EXHAUST-HEADER-02-06-Toyota-Camry-2-4L-LX-XLE-NEW-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2a0dd4bfb3QQitemZ180620672947QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#shId
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: 2az-fe with OBX headers and stock exhaust?

Postby kingkakyle » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:45 pm

i think the exhaust would be loudest of the 3 (intake, headers, exhaust)
im sure its fine without exhuast, although after i got mine i was extremely happy with the sound lol
kingkakyle
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby stringbean » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:48 pm

looks pretty decent, and ya it should sound good, the biggest factor of sound will be the muffler, if you change that youll change the sound lots, but headers will provide slight performance upgrade and change the tone as well. i think youll like the outcome! :)
stringbean
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby DriDed » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:46 am

I am gonna go with the same headers as well but gonna skip the muffler until I can find a TRD muffler for cheap because I don't wanna get any welding involved.

Same route for me!!
2004 Toyota Solara SE (2az-fe) automatic
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
+Pioneer DEH 2200 UB headunit
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby wkbrdr91 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:48 pm

For those of you who have installed headers yourself... is it something I can do myself?
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby stringbean » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:53 pm

its not too hard, all vehicles differ, on my friends regal we had some clearance issues when installing but once in it was tight like a tiger but no rubs, in a 4cyl it'd be easy i think if you have lots of room in the front, if thats where the exhaust manifold is now which i think it is. I know its easy on civic's like my sisters, which im trying to convince her she needs to upgrade her whole exhaust system lol.

If your even slightly mechanically inclined id say its a 4/10 on difficult on the 2az
stringbean
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby DriDed » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:01 pm

stringbean wrote:its not too hard, all vehicles differ, on my friends regal we had some clearance issues when installing but once in it was tight like a tiger but no rubs, in a 4cyl it'd be easy i think if you have lots of room in the front, if thats where the exhaust manifold is now which i think it is. I know its easy on civic's like my sisters, which im trying to convince her she needs to upgrade her whole exhaust system lol.

If your even slightly mechanically inclined id say its a 4/10 on difficult on the 2az

Did you use a pnematic wrench to get the bolts out?

I just have hand tools, is that enough to get the job done?
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby stringbean » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:15 pm

DriDed wrote:
stringbean wrote:its not too hard, all vehicles differ, on my friends regal we had some clearance issues when installing but once in it was tight like a tiger but no rubs, in a 4cyl it'd be easy i think if you have lots of room in the front, if thats where the exhaust manifold is now which i think it is. I know its easy on civic's like my sisters, which im trying to convince her she needs to upgrade her whole exhaust system lol.

Did you use a pnematic wrench to get the bolts out?

I just have hand tools, is that enough to get the job done?

i used a 5 foot breaking bar to get the old bolts off, and then a socket wrench and then a torquing bar for the final tightening of the new bolts, hand tools are a very doable thing for this install.
stringbean
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby wkbrdr91 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:22 pm

Is anyone able to confirm that those headers will fit my 2az solara? Or recommend any other brand or site?
2006 Solara Sport
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby DriDed » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:54 pm

I have read on other forums that the obx headers are not exactly easy to install on some cars (ex: ES300, Camry 1mz)....

Is this true for most cars with OBX headers?

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=37671

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showt ... p?t=194773
Last edited by DriDed on Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby stringbean » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:18 pm

the obx headers are a pain on a 1mz engine camry, solara or es300, thats because the rear o2 sensor has to be moved down because its no longer the short length of just the manifold but now shorty headers. and the biggest pain is in the rear, the fronts are easy. the fitment is questionable at times, but then again everything is made to a certain degree or tolerance and from vehicle to vehicle it may not fit 100%. For you guys with 2az headers should be fine, fitment shouldnt be the biggest issue since your only connecting 1 header to a down pipe, instead of 2 headers to a terribly designed y pipe, which is why fitment is questionable on the 1mz. Hopefully this will put your minds at ease. And if you do end up having fitment issues with these its most likely it will be them attaching to your cat, in that case just drop the money and get a highflow cat and 2-2.5 in cat back and a good muffler. im not sure about sizing with a 4cyl probably 2 or 2.25, maybe 2.5 (dont quote me) 4cyl is easy stuff guys! :)
stringbean
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby DriDed » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:42 am

Thanks Stringbean.

After some thinking, I have decided to get the OBX headers after all and when the turbo arrives I will just move the INJEN and the OBX over to my dad's 2az Camry.
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby stringbean » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:27 am

sounds like a good idea! hope you enjoy them when you buy them! :)

as to the post you had before, they would crack because yes, the flange may be thinner but its more prone to crack when you have a weight (turbo) hanging off the turbo headers and then they also get really hot in a turbo setup, and those two things create more of a chance for stress crack. In just a regular setup id say you'll be fine!

Glad i could be of assistance!
stringbean
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby wkbrdr91 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:45 pm

2006 Solara Sport
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby kingkakyle » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:14 pm

o btw
if u get headers, u should probably do a slight retuning for you to get the full advantage
i know tacti when he had his jpp headers he had a splitsecond box
kingkakyle
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Next

Return to Aftermarket Upgrades