[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Advice needed ASAP! 50% windshield tint?!
All about aftermarket Toyota Solara upgrades

Advice needed ASAP! 50% windshield tint?!

Re: Advice needed ASAP! 50% windshield tint?!

Postby ThurzNite » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:14 am

42% on my windshield. You barely notice it when you're inside the car, and you definitely do not notice it from the outside. Never needed to use sun visor after that.

Funny cuz my doors were 32%, and I got pulled for those but cop didn't say anything about the windshield. So I pulled off the tint from the doors, went for inspection, officer spend an extra moment inspecting my windshield from the inside, but since the film was tucked, he couldn't tell.

Besides the obvious benefits of improved vision, I've seen 2 situations where it reduced the amount of shatter from a) front end collision and b) rock kicked up from semi and going through windshield.

Edit: Another benefit; of people I know who have windshield tint, none have received red-light-camera tickets. I think the reflective nature of tint prevents clear picture of driver. :)

Dr J
ThurzNite
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby wkbrdr91 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:01 am

ThurzNite wrote:42% on my windshield. You barely notice it when you're inside the car, and you definitely do not notice it from the outside. Never needed to use sun visor after that.

Funny cuz my doors were 32%, and I got pulled for those but cop didn't say anything about the windshield. So I pulled off the tint from the doors, went for inspection, officer spend an extra moment inspecting my windshield from the inside, but since the film was tucked, he couldn't tell.

Besides the obvious benefits of improved vision, I've seen 2 situations where it reduced the amount of shatter from a) front end collision and b) rock kicked up from semi and going through windshield.

Edit: Another benefit; of people I know who have windshield tint, none have received red-light-camera tickets. I think the reflective nature of tint prevents clear picture of driver. :)

Dr J

Interesting, What do you mean by its tucked?
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby ThurzNite » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:29 pm

When you're inside the car, look at the tint film. can you see the edge of the film and any section of glass that is uncovered? A good tint place makes sure every part of the glass is covered with tint. To do this, they have to 'tuck' the edges of the film into the window frame. That's easy to do on stationary windows that don't open such as the rear quarter windows, rear window, and windshield. On the Solara doors, it's a moderate challenge as there are no window frames to guide the tinter's knife for a close cut. Ideally, you want the tinter to remove the window from the door and work on it at a bench so they can get the tint really close to the edge.

For instance this picture, the tinter is trying to tuck the film underneath the window gasket.
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/mustangt ... age-05.jpg

Dr J
ThurzNite
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby wkbrdr91 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:15 pm

ThurzNite wrote:When you're inside the car, look at the tint film. can you see the edge of the film and any section of glass that is uncovered? A good tint place makes sure every part of the glass is covered with tint. To do this, they have to 'tuck' the edges of the film into the window frame. That's easy to do on stationary windows that don't open such as the rear quarter windows, rear window, and windshield. On the Solara doors, it's a moderate challenge as there are no window frames to guide the tinter's knife for a close cut. Ideally, you want the tinter to remove the window from the door and work on it at a bench so they can get the tint really close to the edge.

For instance this picture, the tinter is trying to tuck the film underneath the window gasket.
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/mustangt ... age-05.jpg

Dr J

The dot matrix is the issue, it turns gray/whitish after a while. so both my tinters cut around the dot matrix.
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby ThurzNite » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:34 am

I'm not sure how my guy does my dot matrix, but I know other tinters use a weak glue. I will ask around and find out for u. But kinda pointless for u at the moment, as they've already cut yours.

Dr J
ThurzNite
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby wkbrdr91 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:57 am

ThurzNite wrote:I'm not sure how my guy does my dot matrix, but I know other tinters use a weak glue. I will ask around and find out for u. But kinda pointless for u at the moment, as they've already cut yours.

Dr J

Well id like to know for the front windshield, They havent touched that yet.
2006 Solara Sport
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby ThurzNite » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:00 pm

Waiting for reply from buddy. In the mean time, quick google search:
http://www.tintdude.com/matrix-glue.html
http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-201 ... atrix.html
ThurzNite
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby kingkakyle » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:52 pm

i remember someone saying that if u sand it lightly it will stick better to the dot matrix
but i dunno if you would want to do that lol
kingkakyle
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby wkbrdr91 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:03 pm

Id really rather not take sandpaper to anything on my car haha, That vinly on the prius looks good.. but both my tint guys (orlando and Fort Myers) said theyve tried putting vinly directly on the dot matrix and it just comes off eventually. The orlando one said he once had a guy with a Corvette or Viper or something really nice like that and he said the guy just spray painted his dot matrixes and came back to show the tint guy and he said it looked good. Though that would be very difficult to do to keep the paint off everything else.
2006 Solara Sport
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Previous

Return to Aftermarket Upgrades