[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Advice needed ASAP! 50% windshield tint?!
All about aftermarket Toyota Solara upgrades

Advice needed ASAP! 50% windshield tint?!

Advice needed ASAP! 50% windshield tint?!

Postby wkbrdr91 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:35 am

I am heading to the tint shop to get vinyl put onto the top part of my rear window as it has those stupid dots that couldnt be tinted... I am considering getting my windshield tinted 50%... I will be leaving soon... help me decide what to do!

If you don't know what i mean about the back window... heres a (bad) pic, its the top 4 inches or so that has no tint.

2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: Advice needed ASAP! 50% windshield tint?!

Postby ToyoSolV6 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:27 am

if u tint ur winshield be prepared to get pulled over constantly. lol i want mine tinted but my car calls attention as it is so nah im good
One of the few Built Forged Supercharged solaras in so cal
335whp x 344tq.
ToyoSolV6
Solaraguy's dopest driver
Solaraguy's dopest driver

Postby mig0s » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:33 am

you can't do anything about the dots, they'll just put the tint over and yeah it's ugly at the top but almost every car is like that..
1999 V6 5-Speed... so beautiful :' )
Black housing headlights, corner. 55w 6k HID, 2500k fogs, TWM Short Shifter+weighted knob, Tein+KYB, TRD lip kit + Acura CL type-S front lip. TSW Kyalami 18x8. Cutom 2.5" SS free flow muffler.
mig0s
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby yaddadaimsayin » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:11 am

don't do it
l CP-e Intake l TRD Lowered/Exhaust/RSB l 20/5 Tints l Custom Grille l Alpine HU l Rocksford Amp l 2 10" JBL Subs l 6000k HID l Smoked 2.5 Tails l Satisfied Driver l
yaddadaimsayin
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby wkbrdr91 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:19 am

mig0s wrote:you can't do anything about the dots, they'll just put the tint over and yeah it's ugly at the top but almost every car is like that..

Theyre gonna put a strip of black vinyl at the top of my rear window to take care of it. It will be on the outside, i assume it wont even be noticeable... atleast less noticeable than no tint there. I wont do the windshield tint, the people said because of how dark my tint is already its a bad idea, plus the black interior. The owners wife was there and had her white lexus SUV with the windshield tinted 50% and everything else tinted like 20% with a really light interior and you dont notice the windshield tint but she said it makes it alot cooler inside and doesnt mind it at night at all.

Right now its too cold to apply the vinly, they said it needs to be like 65-70 before they will put it on... so i gotta wait till it warms up a little (just had a cold front come through last night). Its 61 right now, and it was 57 when i was at the shop earlier.

Should i do a 5% strip at the top? (front windshield)
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Jabraltar » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:27 am

You might as well :lol:I think it will look pretty sick
Gen 1:Custom stainless catback exhaust,Injen SRI..NGK Iridium plugs,2 10'' Kicker subs in Kicker box,Alpine door speakers, Kicker rear deck speakers,Pioneer amp,18'', Pioneer H/U, Icon rims with Falken tires,HID's,LED everything
Jabraltar
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby dinoxor » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:21 pm

the pulling over should depend on your state law,
here in texas you can put whatever you want on your rear windshield.
You can completely black it out as long as you have side mirrors.

as for the dots, one of the shops, I went to get an estimate, said that they sand the dots down a little bit and then add some tint over it so the bubble won't be as drastic
dinoxor
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby wkbrdr91 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:10 pm

I just got my vinyl piece put on, $20

I talked to them (a different shop by my school, not the Orlando shop) about windshield tint. Its $70 for regular tint, and $90 for the airblue tint, which has the UV blocking capabilities of 35% tint but is only 80% tinted and completely legal (I remember seeing it advertised at Toyota a while back).

They also do headlight/brakelight tinting for $50 for a pair. They use a tinted vinyl to do it. I looked at doing my brakelights but they said it will get pulled up around the turn signal for the brakelight due to the "bubble" of it being such a drastic change.

Before:
(took while they were cutting a clear piece to cut the black)

After:
2006 Solara Sport
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby yaddadaimsayin » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:22 pm

$50? dayum. I was quoted $125 for the pair of tails.
l CP-e Intake l TRD Lowered/Exhaust/RSB l 20/5 Tints l Custom Grille l Alpine HU l Rocksford Amp l 2 10" JBL Subs l 6000k HID l Smoked 2.5 Tails l Satisfied Driver l
yaddadaimsayin
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby DriDed » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:41 pm

They did a nice job with the rear window vinyl piece installation, the car looks better now.
2004 Toyota Solara SE (2az-fe) automatic
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
+Pioneer DEH 2200 UB headunit
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby wkbrdr91 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:46 pm

Ya its a great price. I was once quoted $400 for a pair at a car customization shop in Orlando... and they just use the night shade stuff basically... screw that!

My girlfriend was in town for spring break this week and we took my car to the beach, it was really sunny out (no clouds) and like 82 degrees and she was complaining that its depressing in my car with that weather cause its very dark and makes it not seem so great outside.. She drives a 2002 F150 with the stock tint in back and no tint for front windows. So I opened up the sunroof and windows to brighten things up a bit.

What a great problem to have 8)
2006 Solara Sport
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby kingkakyle » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:16 pm

its possible to do the tails without it getting messed up at the turn signal bubble
a couple members have done it on here
the tint shop was just lazy and didn't want to spend all the time on it lol
kingkakyle
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Jabraltar » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:18 pm

that looks sick man..btw you should wash your car :lol:
Gen 1:Custom stainless catback exhaust,Injen SRI..NGK Iridium plugs,2 10'' Kicker subs in Kicker box,Alpine door speakers, Kicker rear deck speakers,Pioneer amp,18'', Pioneer H/U, Icon rims with Falken tires,HID's,LED everything
Jabraltar
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby wkbrdr91 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:31 pm

any specific advice on what to tell them to be able to do it?

My car actually is clean (well for just having driven like 300 miles today) but when they started doing the clear cutout they got their spray all over the back half of the car so now the back is a little dirty :(
2006 Solara Sport
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby yaddadaimsayin » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:37 pm

kingkakyle wrote:its possible to do the tails without it getting messed up at the turn signal bubble
a couple members have done it on here
the tint shop was just lazy and didn't want to spend all the time on it lol

yeah I was told this whole time that shops wouldn't do it cuz of the bubble but I took the mustang to get tinted the other day and showed em the solara tail and they said it would just take a little more effort but it's definitely do-able. lazy bastards.
i ended up just picking up a set of 2.5 tails instead. 8)

@wkbrdr, that clear patch in your rear didn't sound so bad until I saw the first picture. what an eyesore! way to be creative. :up:
yaddadaimsayin
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Next

Return to Aftermarket Upgrades