[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - How much does Tire Speed Rating affect tire wear & handling?
All about aftermarket Toyota Solara upgrades

How much does Tire Speed Rating affect tire wear & handling?

How much does Tire Speed Rating affect tire wear & handling?

Postby APSol04 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:11 pm

I'm looking to buy 4 new tires for my 04 Solara SE. I am considering the Michelin Primacy MXV4 215/55R-17 94H RRBL, which has a speed rating of H. The current tires are V rated.

I was told by a guy (trying to sell me another brand, with a speed rating of V) that the lower H-rated tires will not handle as well as V-rated tires, and that they will wear more on the outside edges.

Is this sales talk or credible?

Thanks for your help.
APSol04
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: How much does Tire Speed Rating affect tire wear & handl

Postby DriDed » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:04 pm

You should base tire handling in terms of the different kinds of tires available, not based on speed ratings.

The original tires that came with my Solara were Bridgestone Potenza RE92 V rated tires, and the current ones I have are Goodyear Assurance Fuelmax H rated tires.

I noticed that the car's dry traction is better with the Potenzas but the Fuelmax did better in the wet traction.

The sales guy didn't include wet traction or dry traction when he said what he said to you.

You should check out the Falken Ziex 912 V rated, its wet traction is as good as its dry traction; plus they were very cheap from Sears (I bought a set of 4 for my brother's Accord at $240).

The Falken Ziex 912 V rated owned Goodyear Assurance Fuelmax H rated in wet and dry traction.
2004 Toyota Solara SE (2az-fe) automatic
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
+Pioneer DEH 2200 UB headunit
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Re: How much does Tire Speed Rating affect tire wear & handl

Postby Pocketman » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:05 pm

V rated tires generally have little stiffer sidewalls than H rated. Depending upon the tire, V rated will handle better, but H will have a slightly softer ride.
2006 Absolutely Red SLE Coupe
Pocketman
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to Aftermarket Upgrades