[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - help with parts!
All about aftermarket Toyota Solara upgrades

help with parts!

help with parts!

Postby parkc96 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:54 pm

hey guys, i have a 2000 camry LE four cylinder. I was just wondering what i could to to the exterior, and maybe a little on the engine. Just need some suggestions, please help!

2000 camry 4 cylinder: rims, tint, spoiler, head unit, partially debadged, custom catback, custom grille... more to come.
parkc96
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: help with parts!

Postby Jabraltar » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:54 am

Have you done anything to it at all yet? Most people start by upgrading their wheels/rims and then lower the car. You could always smoke your lights and add a lip kit. As for the engine I'd start of with a short ram intake (or cold air intake...not sure which one the Camry uses).
Gen 1:Custom stainless catback exhaust,Injen SRI..NGK Iridium plugs,2 10'' Kicker subs in Kicker box,Alpine door speakers, Kicker rear deck speakers,Pioneer amp,18'', Pioneer H/U, Icon rims with Falken tires,HID's,LED everything
Jabraltar
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby parkc96 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:52 pm

so far ive tinted the windows, added the stock spoiler... im not gonna lower it because i live in SD and winter driving + lowered cars dont work haha, and i wanna do an intake soon but what else is there?

2000 camry 4 cylinder: rims, tint, spoiler, head unit, partially debadged, custom catback, custom grille... more to come.
parkc96
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby wkbrdr91 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:38 pm

Go on cardomain.com and look up your car and look at the top rated rides. It will give you some ideas.
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby DriDed » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:50 pm

parkc96 wrote:so far ive tinted the windows, added the stock spoiler... im not gonna lower it because i live in SD and winter driving + lowered cars dont work haha, and i wanna do an intake soon but what else is there?

There is also the turbo for your 5s Camry if you are interested:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showt ... p?t=236305

^^This is a complete turbo guide for the 5sfe Camry.
2004 Toyota Solara SE (2az-fe) automatic
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
+Pioneer DEH 2200 UB headunit
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby parkc96 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:48 pm

Im gonna check that cardomain out for sure... and for some reason whenever i try and go on toyotanation.com it never loads... do you have to be a member to see the site?

parkc96
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby DriDed » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:02 pm

parkc96 wrote:Im gonna check that cardomain out for sure... and for some reason whenever i try and go on toyotanation.com it never loads... do you have to be a member to see the site?

Tnation loads so slow I stopped going there 6 years ago lol but I will past that article here:

Since it has been many many years since the original sticky was made, and many things have been learned, i figured i could start a nice fresh thread so the info could be close at hand.

While many people think that the 2.2L camry engine is a poor candidate for power ( and they are right in a way) you can still make some fairly impressive power from this engine without too much effort.

The biggest difference between the 2.2L 5sfe and the 2.0L 3sgte is the head, design and the displacement. The 5s is obviously designed as an economy engine, with a fairly poor flowing head, cams that are only run with one cam gear and a slight bump in displacement for better low end torque for stop and go driving.
These seem like problems but there are actually some benefits to this design, the main one being displacement, allowing any turbo you choose to spool faster, along with greater torque in the turbos weak spot, down low.

Moving on to parts, it has already been proven that slapping on most of the parts from a 3sgte eg. the ct26 turbo and some supporting mods will make some decent power, decent being anywhere from 150-190hp. However, many people ask how they can bump that up to 220-250 or even 300hp. The long and short of it is that you can't (not safely anyway) The ct26 was a fairly poorly designed turbo meant for quick spool and low boost. On out aplication it quickly runs out of breath after 13psi and start blowing hot air.

The obvious better choice will be a nice t3/t4 hybrid, which will still spool quickly while alowing more effeciency and higher potential boost. The main problem here is that it wont bolt directly onto the manifold from the mr2, instead requiring an adapter. These can be had for under 100 dollars, with or without an external wastgate flange. Speaking of wastegates, an internal is fine on our engines up to about 10psi max, then an external become a good investment. We flow an awful lot of exhaust gas for an engine our size, and boost spikes and overboost mean death to us. Once is too many.

Downpipe is important, since our engines have an anoyying motor mount right in the way of the convinient route. So we have to make a sharp turn to make it down. Make sure that you get a nice smooth bend and preferably at least 3' since this will help your turbo spool faster and just keep you safer overall.

Another spot that is often overlooked on our engines is the fuel. Most problems with turbo 5s engines stemmed from lean condition due to poor fuel setups. Most people use supra green top injectors, 2jzge, which flow 360cc. This is fine for a low boost ct26 setup, but anything over that will require larger injectors. So far a good option has proven to be 450cc injectors from the 1989-1991 non turbo injectors from an RX7. These are drop in parts that will only require some fuel tuning to cover your needs up to almost 300hp.

Which brings us to engine managment. The 5s, with a 2 bar MAP sensor in place and on low boost, can easily handle the timing on boost, albeit not as effeciently as a EMS. Anything over 8 psi, it is recommended that some sort of timing control be introduced. The popular option in the past was the MSD BTM, but this has proven to be a band aid fix and not the best option for producing power. A better choice will be a EMS that can control both fuel ( so you can control the much larger injectors) and timing. Devices such as the emanage ultimate, SMT-6 perfect power and other midrange devices will do the job just fine. The other choice is to simply use a fuel control unit such as an Apexi AFC and let the fuel try to handle the tuning. This can work as you just have to run richer to prevent detonation, but as you might imagine, this is not nearly effecient as something that will control both timing and fuel.
The apexi AFC has been proven to be able to run 240+ hp with no timing management, so this is always an available choice if you cant afford the more complicated and expensive engine management systems.

But enough theory, lets get down to parts you will need:

- Turbo manifold of a MR2 turbo ( can be had for about 100 bucks)
- Turbo adapter for a t3/t4 (available from ATS racing with or without wastegate port)
- Turbo ( ct26 for cheap or a T3/T4 hybrid. Dont cheap out here, its the heart of your power)
- Downpipe ( your on your own here, it will have to be custom, the engine mounts prevent us from using MR2 or celica DP's)
- Full back exhaust ( get from your local shop, anywhere from 2.5" to 3" depending on your turbo and power goals)
- wastegate (either the internal that came with your turbo if internally gated, or a nice external gate. The external will be better for higher boost and will be much more accurate in controlling boost and spikes.)
-High flow fuel pump ( a walbro 190lph will do nicely)
- Fuel injectors (either 2jzge 360cc or RX7 450cc, send them off to witch hunter for cleaning if they are used)
- Fuel pressure regulator (whatever you want to use here)
- oil lines ( just get a t3 kit from online and supply your own braided hose)
- Tapped oil pan ( you need this for oil return from the turbo, i would recommend welding on a bung)
- Colder spark plugs ( get 1 or 2 steps coler, the iridium from NGK seem to work well)
- spark wires ( i just recommend stock replacement here, toyota is high quality)
- charge Piping to and from the intercooler (either get a kit from ebay and fab your won or go to a shop and get it custom welded. 2.5" seems to be the best size)
- intercooler ( get whatever fits your bumper and power level. You can find one that fits under your bumper support or you can get a larger one which will require cutting it, which is both illegal and unsafe. Get a larger bumper before you think about cutting your support)
- Blow off valve (release your between shift turbo boost. And style you want is fine, although blitz and HKS ones are both praised.)
- 2 Bar MAP sensor ( from an MR2 turbo or alltrac celica. Allows your car to read boost and not freak)
- ENGINE MANAGEMENT!! ( dont skimp here either, if the turbo is your heart, this is your brain. A good one will keep you safe, making effecient power and driving down the road boosted for years to come)
- various gaskets and bolts to get everything together properly
Air intake ( pick your poison)
-

Thats pretty much the basics but you will also probably need:
- Boost gauge ( know what you are boosting)
- exhaust gas temp gauge ( early warning of lean conditions)
- oil pressure gauge (for obvious reasons, keep that oil pressure kids)
- New clutch ( get something to hold the torque you think you will be making. I prefer full face organic for its smooth engagment, but you can also get 3 and 6 puck clutches)
- Wideband O2 ( if you are tuning yourself)
- Water injection ( adds a measure of safety and lets you run a bit higher boost or fudge on octane levels or engine managment issues)
- Boost controler ( allows you to spool up a bit quicker and adjust boost, sometimes on the fly. Available in manual or electric, the choice is yours.)
- Metal headgasket ( if you dont have one, available on 98 and up camrys or from cosmetic as a replacement)
- Turbo timer (allow the turbo to cool down to prevent oil cokink, or just let your car idle for a few minutes before you shut down)
- Turbo heatshield ( keep all that heat where it belongs, in your exhaust)

Then you can go up to hardcore things like a port and polish, forged internals and standalone management. At that point you would be good for the 300+ hp mark.

Feel free to add anything i have missed.
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby t3chnique » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:07 am

Turboing the 5S is a waste of time & money. Might as well drop in a 1MZ
Tony the Tiger wrote:FWD = king of the streets with unpredictable pavement and road conditions.
t3chnique
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby yaddadaimsayin » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:50 am

wkbrdr91 wrote:Go on cardomain.com and look up your car and look at the top rated rides. It will give you some ideas.

good idea. also go to the pictures/videos section of SG to see some of our member rides. good luck!
l CP-e Intake l TRD Lowered/Exhaust/RSB l 20/5 Tints l Custom Grille l Alpine HU l Rocksford Amp l 2 10" JBL Subs l 6000k HID l Smoked 2.5 Tails l Satisfied Driver l
yaddadaimsayin
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby parkc96 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:36 pm

Ok... for sure turbo is out (parents wouldnt allow), im just lookin for a couple simple stuff to make a little bit more power. I am gonna get a Weapon R intake most likely, has anyone tried those? are they good? and last thing is do they make black housed corner lights for my car? i want both headlights and corner lights.

parkc96
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Jabraltar » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:59 pm

parkc96 wrote:Ok... for sure turbo is out (parents wouldnt allow), im just lookin for a couple simple stuff to make a little bit more power. I am gonna get a Weapon R intake most likely, has anyone tried those? are they good? and last thing is do they make black housed corner lights for my car? i want both headlights and corner lights.

Is the car yours, or your parents? Or did they buy it and you're paying them back? If it's simply their car, I wouldn't go spending too much money on it with upgrades. Just a thought.
Gen 1:Custom stainless catback exhaust,Injen SRI..NGK Iridium plugs,2 10'' Kicker subs in Kicker box,Alpine door speakers, Kicker rear deck speakers,Pioneer amp,18'', Pioneer H/U, Icon rims with Falken tires,HID's,LED everything
Jabraltar
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby parkc96 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:29 pm

It was a gift from the grandparents, its technically mine but they pay for insurance cuz its cheaper under their name. I think for performance im just gonna go with a Weapon R dragon intake with the ram air addition. Are they any good? anyone used them before?

parkc96
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby DriDed » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:13 pm

OBX makes the header for your Camry, and I think Megan Racing makes a catback for your Camry as well.
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby wkbrdr91 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:32 pm

parkc96 wrote:It was a gift from the grandparents, its technically mine but they pay for insurance cuz its cheaper under their name. I think for performance im just gonna go with a Weapon R dragon intake with the ram air addition. Are they any good? anyone used them before?

I have gathered that Weapon R's are purely for sound and looks. They dont actually help. They probably do less than a K&N drop-in filter. When it comes to car stuff, you get what you pay for. If I were you, id find some rims off of tirerack.com get a decent intake, decent sound system (atleast just add subs) and be done with it. Except some other random stuff like debadging and tinting tails and cheap stuff like that.
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby parkc96 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:45 pm

problem is that no one else makes any intakes for my car. I am gonna tint the tails, maybe get subs (but mine already has a good sound system). and idk what else there is thats cheap and gets a little better performance.

parkc96
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Next

Return to Aftermarket Upgrades