[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Adding Trailer / Towing lights harness
All about aftermarket Toyota Solara upgrades

Adding Trailer / Towing lights harness

Adding Trailer / Towing lights harness

Postby skylimit » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:15 pm

Great site! I did search prior to posting and hoping I chose the correct forum.

Anyone have experience with adding a receiver hitch? I'm looking at
http://www.amazon.com/Curt-Manufacturin ... rhf_shvl_1

Adding an adapter so my existing bike racks, carriers and trailers work
- http://www.amazon.com/Curt-Manufacturin ... 234&sr=1-2

Also, I'm having a heck of a time finding a reasonably priced wiring harness for a 2007 SLE Solara. What I've found I've pasted below. What I'm looking for it a T-Connector type where you simply disconnect existing wiring harness and reconnect albeit thru the new harness. Done, no cutting, crimping, etc.

If I am going to use those horrid inline Scotch Locks (I'm a marine mechanic and these little things ultimately ruin your day on the water); I rather wire up my own harness; but haven't found anyone that's done that either.

This one requires cutting into the existing wiring
- http://www.hitchsource.com/t-connector- ... 29519.html

This one also requires cutting into existing harness and seems overkill and pricy
- http://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-Vehi ... d=20076906

Again, great site. thanks for any help.
skylimit
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Adding Trailer / Towing lights harness

Postby wkbrdr91 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:22 pm

What are you towing? I have seen a Gen 2.5 (you have a gen 2.5) convertible towing a Seadoo Sportster 15 foot boat, even pulled it out of the water, not just down the street.

None of us that I know of have any experience with trailer hitch stuff for the Solara's... though I have been waiting for it to be done so I can get a Seadoo Sportster 8)
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby skylimit » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:50 pm

I'm hoping the car will not groan too much towing a light trailer carrying a Goldwing. Puts the total weight at 1100lbs. I've towed some really heavy things with my Diesel Suburban; and even with the larger 1ton trucks; the wear and tear can quickly eat the drive train up, ask anyone that's logged a bunch of seasons dragging snowmobiles 400+ miles every weekend. Point being wear/tear has a lot to do with how you tow, but you can never eliminate it. Then there's the whole stopping game; my lesson the physics of weight and stopping was long ago while towing a canoe behind a motorcycle.... sure you can get it going to 40mph, just try stopping while going around a corner! :)) So, keep it light, drive light, stop light and all should be well. Now to figure the wiring harness.
skylimit
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Frijolero » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:45 pm

You won't need that hitch adapter with the hitch setup that you posted as it is already a 2" receiver tube. I may add one to hang my bike rack but there is no way I'm going to tow anything with this car.
Frijolero
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby skylimit » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:20 am

Frijolero, great catch on that class3 2". I had pasted the wrong link. Here's the correct link (class2 with a 1 1/4 receiver).
http://www.amazon.com/Curt-Manufacturin ... &carId=001
skylimit
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Frijolero » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:30 am

Why not just go straight to the class 3? I hate seeing my bike rack sway around on the hitch and I would imagine that the adapter would only add more slop and play for it to move around.
Frijolero
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby skylimit » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:55 am

I gave up trying to find one; it appears that the 1 1/4" is becoming the norm for classII (who knew...)
skylimit
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby wkbrdr91 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:43 am

Just thicken up the male end of the bike rack with some tape so it doesn't sway.
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby skylimit » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:01 am

Adding tape might work; metal tape like heating chimney tape might work best... I plan on adding a nut/bolt; as you'll see in many bike racks; it's easier on/off if the nut is tack-welded to a small "positioning" plate which keeps the nut where you want it as you screw in the bolt/washer from the outside. Any weld shop can help you, likely a six-pack of beer will take care of the bill.
skylimit
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Jabraltar » Mon May 23, 2011 5:21 pm

I'm looking at buying just a 14ft aluminum fishing boat with a trailer because I live on a lake and do a lot of camping. I'm actually scared shitless of towing anything with my car now lol
Gen 1:Custom stainless catback exhaust,Injen SRI..NGK Iridium plugs,2 10'' Kicker subs in Kicker box,Alpine door speakers, Kicker rear deck speakers,Pioneer amp,18'', Pioneer H/U, Icon rims with Falken tires,HID's,LED everything
Jabraltar
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby wkbrdr91 » Mon May 23, 2011 9:11 pm

Jabraltar wrote:I'm looking at buying just a 14ft aluminum fishing boat with a trailer because I live on a lake and do a lot of camping. I'm actually scared shitless of towing anything with my car now lol

That will weigh nothing, don't even sweat it. Though personally I would get airbags for your suspension so you don't ruin it, though with an aluminum boat your prob fine even without it. Weigh the tongue and find out.
2006 Solara Sport
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby quebec#1 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:36 pm

I bought my 2007 Solara SLE back in December 2011 installed a curt Trailer hitch and would pull my snowmobile & trailer up north every weekend had no problems at all. Had curt trailer hitches on my previous two other cars great hitches a little ugly on the solara & this one has paint flaking off for some reason.
quebec#1
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to Aftermarket Upgrades