[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Solara TT
All about aftermarket Toyota Solara upgrades

Solara TT

Solara TT

Postby srkovarik6 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:35 pm

OK - this is one that probably hasn't been done before. Has anyone seen a Targa Solara? Do you guys even think it's possible (i.e., without killing oneself in the even of rolling)? If not, how about going for t-tops, i.e., pulling them off an old Firebird or Camaro and getting the roof modified to fit them? I know a sunroof is cheaper and easier, but so... factory.

Steve
srkovarik6
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Solara TT

Postby DSM_Lara » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:24 am

its possible but, be prepare to spend a lot of money and have knowlegde... A roll cage is required due to body flex once the roof is cut off. I know people with eclipse have done it.
1999 Toyota Solara SE V6 (TRD Edition) Rare Greddy EvoII/CP-E Intake/Renova Grill/Black Housing Front/OEM Hood Deflector :kp: :spam3: :spam1:Musubi
DSM_Lara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby amabsolute » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:42 am

That eclipse doesnt look to bad..... I wonder what a solara would look like with the targa top?
IMG]http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/qq306/amabsolute1/crap-1.jpg[/IMG]
amabsolute
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby 1gSE » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:19 am

IMHO I dont think the Solara has the right shape to pull it off, but I wouldn't mind seeing what it looks like
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby chriscarter » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:50 am

This appears to be a styling exercise, not a practical modification. The Solara uses an upper strut tie-bar to reduce and control cowl flex. Cowl flex is the twisting of the windshield/firewall section of the body under cornering loads. You can really feel this in a Camry that doesn't use an upper strut tie-bar. This flexing is not only in Toyotas or any other make. It is just a combination of design inputs that result in body flex. Removing that much of the roof section would seriously compromise the structural integrity of the unibody construction (no separate frame). There is a distinct possibility that without proper reinforcement, you may have to replace the windshield about every oil change due to cracking!

If you are truly serious about making a Solara Targa, the ONLY safe way to accomplish it will be to add all the additional undercar and side bracing that is built into a Solara convertible. Keep in mind that with this structural bracing, your car will gain about 200 pounds (yes, convertibles of the same model weigh about 200 lbs more). You can consider the roof of your car like an inverted floor...if you cut a large section out of your floor, you'll have to strengthen other areas of the car's box section....no different with the roof.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but I really don't think you'd be satisfied with the final outcome...especially after that much labor and effort. Installing a pop-up sunroof is much easier, faster, and doesn't compromise the car's structure. Finally...........keep in mind that if you don't like the result, you CANNOT reverse the procedure! A final thought...if you ever needed insurance-related collision repair, your (or the other guy's) insurance company would smile and say they're not covering the damage......and they would win because the non-factory modifications compromised the structural integrity of the vehicle.

Just my opinion.............
chriscarter

Postby KILLA CAM » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:27 pm

srkovarik6 wrote:OK - this is one that probably hasn't been done before. Has anyone seen a Targa Solara?

KILLA CAM
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby amabsolute » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:34 am

Wanna repost that pic? I cant see it.
IMG]http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/qq306/amabsolute1/crap-1.jpg[/IMG]
amabsolute
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Aftermarket Upgrades