[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Adviced needed ASAP: Break pads with 200 miles life left
All about aftermarket Toyota Solara upgrades

Adviced needed ASAP: Break pads with 200 miles life left

Adviced needed ASAP: Break pads with 200 miles life left

Postby wkbrdr91 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:01 pm

I found out that my brake pads are very low and a mechanic estimated I have about 200 miles of normal driving left. I have a 250 mile drive home and need advice ASAP on what to buy. I think I want ceramic brakes, but need help choosing. Please help!

Also looking at these: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp ... 462170____
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: Adviced needed ASAP: Break pads with 200 miles life left

Postby DriDed » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:41 pm

Shop for a Genuine Toyota OEM brake pad for your Solara, my car is still on the original set (lots of padding left) at 60,680+ miles, you can find them through dealer or ebay but make sure you know the part code, give a call to the dealer to find out, then try to find it on ebay or amazon.

You can also look up other brands of brake pads (EBC, Centric) for your Solara through this website:

http://www.drivewire.com/make/toyota/
2004 Toyota Solara SE (2az-fe) automatic
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
+Pioneer DEH 2200 UB headunit
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby ThatVietGuy » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:46 pm

I like the Axxis Ultimates I used for the last 10K or so on my car.
ThatVietGuy
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby crispone » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:48 pm

Genuine Toyota organic pads are very good, very high quality and work GREAT if you aren't auto-crossing your car or otherwise working it beyond street driving. They also come complete with clips and shims and are generally BETTER than most of what you can get out there when all things are considered.

If you stray from this advice, I wish you the best and suggest that either make SURE you did your homework, or KNOW that you are playing Russian Roulette with your brake experience.

Good luck!

-crisp :evilbat:
crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby ThurzNite » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:00 pm

200 miles? I can't believe he let you drive home!!! 200 miles, assuming aggressive 30k miles life of the pad. You're 0.6% pad life. Assuming 60k pad life, 0.3% pad life.

Be safe dood.

Dr J
ThurzNite
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby wkbrdr91 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:57 pm

Ya and I had to drive 250 miles to get back to my apartment for school today. I am going to put the new pads on sometime this week, hopefully Thursday if my friend is free. Found Wagner ceramic pads for 131, then after coupon for $96 for all 4 pads.

Crisp, I know its a risk not using Toyota parts, but I have done research on the brand and they seem to be viewed highly upon. Also comes with a limited lifetime wear warranty (they will replace it for free one time if the car needs it)
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby crispone » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:25 pm

Wagner and many others will work fine. I've use various, but the genuine Toyota (obviously, also made by a Toyota SUPPLIER, not Toyota themselves...) are very good pads.

Good luck with the Wagner! Most important thing is to get new pads! :wink:

-crisp :evilbat:
crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby chriscarter » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:54 am

Agree with those saying that non-Toyota pads are OK. Stick with ceramic from a name-brand manufacturer.
chriscarter

Return to Aftermarket Upgrades